Question on DBE's Kamehameha

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Question on DBE's Kamehameha

Post by dragondyle » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:12 am

In the scene in Dragonball Evolution, Mai shoots Goku in the back almost killing him. Roshi then uses the Kamehameha on him to revive him. We all know the Kamehameha is a destructive attack, but can it really help people come back to life? Roshi did jokingly say to Yamcha after he used it on Goku "Pain is good." Could the Kamehameha act like a defibrillator in some cases at all?
You must have faith in who you are.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:52 am

In Dragon Ball Evolution, apparently it can. I doubt it would work in the manga/animeverse.

I guess it's based on the idea of using your ki to heal someone, which is practiced by some people in real life (whether you believe it works or helps in any way, of course, is up to you).

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:01 am

I am soooo gonna change that in my doujinshi

-

CROWWWW~~
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:39 am

When you're allowed to just make shit up, anything is possible. For example, did you know that Bubbles is, in fact, a... how to put this delicately... slightly retarded/very ugly Saiyan?
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:41 am

Freeza Heika wrote: For example, did you know that Bubbles is, in fact, a... how to put this delicately... slightly retarded/very ugly Saiyan?
So, a regular Saiyan then?

Anyway, Goku did transfer some of his ki to Freeza in the form of a ki blast in the series, so I suppose doing the same thing with a Kamehameha isn't flat-out absurd by regular series standards.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:26 am

Herms wrote:Anyway, Goku did transfer some of his ki to Freeza in the form of a ki blast in the series, so I suppose doing the same thing with a Kamehameha isn't flat-out absurd by regular series standards.
There is just one problem with doing that with a Kamehameha; it has a completely different effect, a different pose, and looks entirely different. That's kind of like calling scrambled eggs a chicken.
Herms wrote:
Freeza Heika wrote: For example, did you know that Bubbles is, in fact, a... how to put this delicately... slightly retarded/very ugly Saiyan?
So, a regular Saiyan then?
Minus the sweet-ass haircuts
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:20 am

Herms wrote:Anyway, Goku did transfer some of his ki to Freeza in the form of a ki blast in the series, so I suppose doing the same thing with a Kamehameha isn't flat-out absurd by regular series standards.
Which is why I would have been ENTIRELY Fine withe the "Medical Kamehameha" scene if he just didn't NAME The attack.
If the scene had happened exactly the same, just Kamesen'nin didn't SAY Kamehameha, it would have been fine to me.
Last edited by DemonRin on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:20 am

It's DBE

they just figured, Kamehameha is energy right? Let's give him energy to revive him with the Turtle destruction wave

But it wouldn't work on the anime or manga

Herms

Post by Herms » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:38 am

Freeza Heika wrote:There is just one problem with doing that with a Kamehameha; it has a completely different effect, a different pose, and looks entirely different. That's kind of like calling scrambled eggs a chicken.
What do you mean? A Kamehameha is essentially a more powerful version of a regular ki blast. If regular ki blasts can potentially be used to heal instead of harm, I don't see why the same couldn't possibly apply to the Kamehameha.
Rod wrote:they just figured, Kamehameha is energy right? Let's give him energy to revive him with the Turtle destruction wave
Despite the fact that fans often say that "Kamehameha" translates to "Turtle Destruction Wave", only the first and last words are accurate. The hame part in the middle of the attack name has no clear-cut meaning.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:12 am

Herms wrote:
Rod wrote:they just figured, Kamehameha is energy right? Let's give him energy to revive him with the Turtle destruction wave
Despite the fact that fans often say that "Kamehameha" translates to "Turtle Destruction Wave", only the first and last words are accurate. The hame part in the middle of the attack name has no clear-cut meaning.
Oh Herms, I hate you so much :lol:

Well let's just say it does mean destruction :P

Either way, the one in the manga did look a little different, the scene would be better if he just pulled out a Senzu, or if he didn't say Kamehameha

BTW what does Senzu mean?

Herms

Post by Herms » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:03 pm

Senzu="sage bean", more or less. The sen is the same one as in sennin.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:12 pm

Freeza Heika wrote:When you're allowed to just make shit up, anything is possible. For example, did you know that Bubbles is, in fact, a... how to put this delicately... slightly retarded/very ugly Saiyan?
They based the Kamehameha in the movie on real life Chinese martial arts such as T'ai Chi Ch'uan and other associated forms that utilizes Chi/Ki/Qi. It all involves ones “breath” or “life energy”. Therefore, when Roshi used the Kamehameha to bring “Goku” back to life it was to symbolize that he was breathing the “breath of life” back into him, thus adding to the notion that Roshi was this god-like sage.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:14 pm

Roshi's Kamehameha was also orange. DBE has it's own rules.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:19 pm

Amigo Ten wrote:Roshi's Kamehameha was also orange. DBE has it's own rules.
That is because everybody in DBE has a distinct color aura. For example, every Roshi's Ki techniques are orange (Mafuba, Kamehameha, etc).

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:27 pm

Herms wrote:Senzu="sage bean", more or less. The sen is the same one as in sennin.
Thanks, that explains the "hermit's seeds" of the spanish dub

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:44 pm

Amigo Ten wrote:Roshi's Kamehameha was also orange. DBE has it's own rules.
Nevertheless, can we say that the aura color system remained consistent throughout the anime as well? I really do not see the big deal about the aura colors.

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:44 pm

It wasn't a complaint. I was just saying the Kamehameha in DBE is it's own thing. It can be different colours, revive people, etc.

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:50 pm

Herms wrote:
Freeza Heika wrote:There is just one problem with doing that with a Kamehameha; it has a completely different effect, a different pose, and looks entirely different. That's kind of like calling scrambled eggs a chicken.
What do you mean? A Kamehameha is essentially a more powerful version of a regular ki blast. If regular ki blasts can potentially be used to heal instead of harm, I don't see why the same couldn't possibly apply to the Kamehameha.
I've never seen my eggs cluck, and until DBE came around, I've never seen a Kamehameha heal. Even when a regular ki blast does heal, it looks the same; what I saw in the movie looked nothing like a Kamehameha.
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"

plusloud

Post by plusloud » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:55 pm

Couple of points. First:
Herms wrote:Despite the fact that fans often say that "Kamehameha" translates to "Turtle Destruction Wave", only the first and last words are accurate. The hame part in the middle of the attack name has no clear-cut meaning.
Igi ari. Hametsu 破滅 means "ruin" or "destruction." So it could be argued that Kamesennin no Hametsu Nami 亀仙人の破滅波, Turtle Hermit's Destruction Wave, was shortened to Kame Hame Ha (with "nami" written as "ha" to complement the pun). The one problem with this theory is that the kanji for 破滅 is ha, then metsu, not hame then tsu. The shorthand method would have to be moraic only. ... Julian, is moraic a word?

Secondly, DB:E isn't the first popular release to utilize a technique famous for attacking as a means of healing. Street Fighter II V did this for the Hadôken.
Umm... just call me Remy, already. :p

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:32 pm

Kiriyama BRX wrote:...Secondly, DB:E isn't the first popular release to utilize a technique famous for attacking as a means of healing. Street Fighter II V did this for the Hadôken.
Because apparently both techniques utilize Ki/Qi/Chi, which can have healing as well as destructive properties, it is all in how one utilizes it.