Kai Episode 41 (24 January 2010)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 41 (24 January 2010)

Post by Hujio » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:36 pm

General Discussion for DragonBall Kai episode 41, aired 24 January 2010

待ちに待ったぜこの瞬間!孫悟空が復活だ
Machinimatta ze Kono Shunkan! Son Gokuu ga Fukkatsu da
The Moment We've Waited For! Son Goku is Revived
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Kai Episode 41 (24 January 2010)

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:11 am

Now, this episode was a bit surprising. I had completely forgotten about the crab in being eaten by Freeza. I hope TFS catches that. :p

Also, two insert vocals this week? Astonishing. I can't wait to see the pages at Kanzentai.

How hilarious it was, having Saiyan Blood playing when Vegeta powered up to fight Freeza... :P
Last edited by JulieYBM on Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

RattleMan

Post by RattleMan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:20 am

A few paint edits I noticed:

Cuts include Vegeta coughing up blood and various extended fighting scenes.
Under construction.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:45 am

That's the most bizarre thing I've seen from Kai so far...

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:51 am

This episode covered a total of 17 pages and one panel, fishing off the remainder of chapter 305 and the entirity of 306.

Notably, the 5 pages and a panel left from 305 were all we got covered before the eyecatcher, as the vast majority of that half was pure filler. The latter half covered all of 306.

Anime-wise, the episode reportedly covered the rest of DBZ episode 84, starting 8 minutes in, as well as all of 85
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:50 am

Other than the censoring, it was a pretty good episode.

I especially liked the 2 insert songs as they were placed in the episode. I wonder what this means for Goku's SSJ transformation?

I'm looking forward to hearing how Nozawa & Horikawa are going to pull off Vegeta's death scene next week!
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:55 am

RattleMan wrote:A few paint edits I noticed:

1)So they actually improved a drawing this time... This is what they should be doing when tracing over scenes.
2)Yes, that's to be expe--
3)--Wait...what the hell? Why did they remove blood in one scene... but then add it back in the next when there wasn't any?
4)...Why... did they remove Tenshinhan and Yamcha from the scene...?
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Super Klonoa

Post by Super Klonoa » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:55 am

Wait, "Super Dragon Soul" was used this early? O_o

...eh, then again, it was most likely used to foreshadow Goku as the first, true SSJ and it'll get reused at his first transformation scene... I hope. >_>;

Nice to hear "Saiyan Blood" in there as well, btw, even though Vegeta ends up losing.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:32 am

JulieYBM wrote:Now, this episode was a bit surprising. I had completely forgotten about the crab in being eaten by Freeza. I hope TFS catches that. :p

Also, two insert vocals this week? Astonishing. I can't wait to see the pages at kanzentai.

How hilarious it was, having Saiyan Blood playing when Vegeta powered up to fight Freeza... :P
Agreed on the use of the Saiyan Blood. I could see an instrumental of it being used, but the fact that it's the version with the vocals made it unintentionally funny. :3

The crab-eating totally threw me off. I can't believe I forgot about something so hilariously absurd. XD
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:27 am

Metalwario64 wrote: 3)--Wait...what the hell? Why did they remove blood in one scene... but then add it back in the next when there wasn't any?
There was in the manga, which is probably the best answer you'll get.

And there probably was some in some surrounding scenes, so they made this scene consistent with those..
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:12 am

Wow ok... Can you really call it "Censorship" when they remove blood in one scene, but add some that wasn't there before in another?

It was possibly a consistency thing in that case...
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:21 am

RattleMan wrote:A few paint edits I noticed:

... and the censoring continues... who said before "nothing but the hole" had been censored? <_<

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:40 am

sangofe wrote:... and the censoring continues... who said before "nothing but the hole" had been censored? <_<
I repeat: How can you call it censoring when they remove blood from one scene, but add blood in another scene where it wasn't originally there?
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:54 am

DemonRin wrote:
sangofe wrote:... and the censoring continues... who said before "nothing but the hole" had been censored? <_<
I repeat: How can you call it censoring when they remove blood from one scene, but add blood in another scene where it wasn't originally there?
It wasn`t originally in there in the anime but it was originally in there in the manga.

In one they censored it and in the other they did what they should be doing, they turned it closer to the manga.

Their inconsistency is what troubles me. How can such an incoerent job be a good job?

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:29 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Also, two insert vocals this week? Astonishing. I can't wait to see the pages at Kanzentai.
That is astonishing. I thought they were saving "An Ultra-super Dragon Soul", but I guess not. Anyway, I have some other things I'd like to get done before I get started on this episode for Kanzentai. But it'll be soon, hopefully. :P
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:50 pm

The added blood honesty looks like it was done in MSPaint... :/
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:46 am

New eyecatches:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:15 am

I suspect this are our penultimate eyecatch. The next/last one should be appearing in a few episodes, and I'm sure it'll look great. :)
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

GotenZ1
Patreon Supporter

Post by GotenZ1 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:41 pm

rereboy wrote:
DemonRin wrote:
It wasn`t originally in there in the anime but it was originally in there in the manga.

In one they censored it and in the other they did what they should be doing, they turned it closer to the manga.

Their inconsistency is what troubles me. How can such an incoerent job be a good job?

If I am not mistaken, there were similar edits in DBZ's run on Cartoon Network. I recall (no, I have no reference other than my memories of forum topics long past) the reasoning behind the inconsistent blood edits was that "moving or flowing blood" was innappropriat thus removed and "still/dried" blood was allowed to stay in. Perhaps this is Toei trying to compromise between the censors and the fans.

Or they're just being inconsistent. But I'd like to think the former :lol:
My short animated film (has some violence): http://youtu.be/ovT8mbYE85E

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:10 pm

That's pretty weird, they remove blood in one scene, and add blood in another. I liked the first redrawn scene though