Credits Names, Red Ribbon Army, and Spice Boys

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GamingBuddha
Not-So-Newbie

Credits Names, Red Ribbon Army, and Spice Boys

Post by GamingBuddha » Thu May 05, 2011 5:20 pm

I had a few questions I wanted to ask, so I decided to compile them onto one thread.

1) Are there many unnamed characters whose names get revealed in the credits? If so, is there a list or thread where they're shown?

2) I'm having trouble finding the titles of two officers in the Red Ribbon Army in the subbed anime. I know Black is can be called either "Staff Officer" or "Adjutant", but I can't find any episode where he is called by his title. Also, for Brown, Kanzentai lists him as a General. The only time I've seen him mentioned in the anime is in Episode 32, but he was referred to without a title in the Brown Squad. If anyone knows around which episodes their title is mentioned or if you remember what they are called, could you tell me?

3) Lastly, were the Spice Boys named in the series or in a guidebook?

Zestanor
Regular

Re: Credits Names, Red Ribbon Army, and Spice Boys

Post by Zestanor » Thu May 05, 2011 5:59 pm

1) You mean for background characters? I don't think they were ever named in the first place, unless you count "guy #5" or "terrified woman."
3) Throughout the Dragon Boxes' Dragon Books (translated by Steve Simmons) they are called "The Demonic Four Monarchs" as a whole, and also by their individual names, "Vinegar," "Tard (heh heh)," "Gash," and "Zald."

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:18 pm

I think FUNimation lists some of them in the credits, like I think one time in the credits there was Tien's mom.

GamingBuddha
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GamingBuddha » Thu May 05, 2011 6:36 pm

Zestanor wrote:1) You mean for background characters? I don't think they were ever named in the first place, unless you count "guy #5" or "terrified woman."
No, not background characters, just really minor one-episode characters. I saw this thread and I'm not sure if there are any more other than those, so I decided to ask.
Zestanor wrote:3) Throughout the Dragon Boxes' Dragon Books (translated by Steve Simmons) they are called "The Demonic Four Monarchs" as a whole, and also by their individual names, "Vinegar," "Tard (heh heh)," "Gash," and "Zald."
Thank you! (heh heh, Tard)
Pokewhiz7 wrote:I think FUNimation lists some of them in the credits, like I think one time in the credits there was Tenshinhan's mom.
Tenshinhan's mom? I don't think she ever even appeared in the series. But I was asking more about the Japanese credits than the English ones.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu May 05, 2011 6:40 pm

2) I'm not sure when or if Black is ever called by his full title in dialogue in the anime or manga. But he does have his full title(s) in the anime credits, and in the appearing character sections of the tankoubon. Brown is never given a rank in the anime or the manga. There's only that mention of Brown Squad. Copper, however, is a general (but similarly unseen).

3) I seem to remember Garlic Jr's henchmen being named in the series. Or at least some of them were. Maybe their names aren't said more than once, because I can never remember which is which. Then again, I don't exactly watch those episodes very often.

"Tenshinhan's mom" was a joke name FUNimation used to credit the voice of a dead three-eyed lady in one episode. They like to make up silly nicknames like that.
-Rachel

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu May 05, 2011 6:44 pm

GamingBuddha wrote:
Zestanor wrote:3) Throughout the Dragon Boxes' Dragon Books (translated by Steve Simmons) they are called "The Demonic Four Monarchs" as a whole, and also by their individual names, "Vinegar," "Tard (heh heh)," "Gash," and "Zald."
Thank you! (heh heh, Tard)
It's a pun on "Mustard." Just like Gash is Cashew, Zald is Salt, and Vinegar is... well... Vinegar. :P
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu May 05, 2011 6:48 pm

TripleRach wrote: There's only that mention of Brown Squad.
Nuh-uh, he's also mentioned in the Red Ribbon Army song.

As for characters only named in the credits, you generally have to go for anime-only characters for that. The anime guys don't name nameless characters in the manga unless they feel there's a real need to, which there obviously isn't if it's only for the credits.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu May 05, 2011 6:53 pm

Adamant wrote:
TripleRach wrote: There's only that mention of Brown Squad.
Nuh-uh, he's also mentioned in the Red Ribbon Army song.
I actually got the song stuck in my head while thinking about him and making that post. Or her, because I guess Brown's gender is never revealed either.
-Rachel

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu May 05, 2011 6:54 pm

Apparently Lime's grandfather Lao Chu is only named in the credits, and in GT there's Popel (the boy Pan dates in episode 1) and Futoba (guy on Imegga who shelters Goku and co).

Garlic Jr.'s filler henchmen are collectively named the Mazoku Shiten'nou, "Demon Clan Four Heavenly Kings", which is a reference to well...the Four Heavenly Kings in Buddhism. In English these deities are sometimes simply called the Four Monarchs, hence Simmons' name for the DBZ characters.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

GamingBuddha
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GamingBuddha » Thu May 05, 2011 10:05 pm

Herms wrote:Apparently Lime's grandfather Lao Chu is only named in the credits, and in GT there's Popel (the boy Pan dates in episode 1) and Futoba (guy on Imegga who shelters Goku and co).
Thanks for the names. Also, if Brown is never given a title in the anime or manga, where did his title as a General on Kanzentai come from?
"Tenshinhan's mom" was a joke name FUNimation used to credit the voice of a dead three-eyed lady in one episode. They like to make up silly nicknames like that.
Haha, that one's actually kinda funny.

Herms

Post by Herms » Thu May 05, 2011 10:49 pm

GamingBuddha wrote:Also, if Brown is never given a title in the anime or manga, where did his title as a General on Kanzentai come from?
Beats me. Hujio's behind most of that stuff.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Fri May 06, 2011 9:39 am

Herms wrote:
GamingBuddha wrote:Also, if Brown is never given a title in the anime or manga, where did his title as a General on Kanzentai come from?
Beats me. Hujio's behind most of that stuff.
I was at work when I was making that page, and was using the Japanese Wikipedia page on the Red Ribbon Army as a general source so I wouldn't forget any characters. I never thought to really go back and check any guide books or anything, since once I wrote his bio I just moved on to the next one. But if there's no real source that gives him the title, then I'll gladly change it so it's correct.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri May 06, 2011 10:31 am

Hujio wrote:I was at work when I was making that page, and was using the Japanese Wikipedia page on the Red Ribbon Army as a general source so I wouldn't forget any characters.
But Japanese Wikipedia doesn't call him a general either.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Fri May 06, 2011 11:27 am

Herms wrote:But Japanese Wikipedia doesn't call him a general either.
Wow, I completely missed on that one. Must have just been one of those days, but alas, it has been corrected.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Sat May 14, 2011 6:49 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote: It's a pun on "Mustard." Just like Gash is Cashew, Zald is Salt, and Vinegar is... well... Vinegar. :P
Gash, I believe, is a pun on Sugar. It just doesn't lend itself to anagram-play in English very well.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Sat May 14, 2011 7:10 pm

Daimao wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote: It's a pun on "Mustard." Just like Gash is Cashew, Zald is Salt, and Vinegar is... well... Vinegar. :P
Gash, I believe, is a pun on Sugar. It just doesn't lend itself to anagram-play in English very well.
That's what I thought. I suppose you could spell it as Garshu to make it more obvious.

Gar-shu -> Shu-gar -> Sugar