Episode #0318 (16 December 2012)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0318 (16 December 2012)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Episode #0318 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
82:50; 96 kbps, mono; 57.1 MB

Episode #0318! VegettoEX and Hujio dive into DBZ movie history in an attempt to find complex and interesting villains. Did the relatively short running time of the movies even provide an opportunity for character development to this degree? We found a few great examples, and so did you all! Tons of "Battle of Gods" and video game news, your questions, and more wraps up the episode. Referenced sites:
Enjoy!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Episode #0318 (16 December 2012)

Post by Sun-Wukong » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:24 am

"How many times have I bought Raditz?"

Does that include the games?

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:34 am

I agree with you (Mike) on how the Budokai music really made the game for a lot of us. That's like re-releasing Final Fantasy VI, or Chrono Trigger or Donkey Kong Country without their original soundtracks. You can't really strip a part of a game like that, especially since I like to consider that games are art based on the collaborative synthesis of it's gameplay, music, art direction, etc.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:36 pm

Minaguchi was hinting at Videl's new hairstyle... :'( Daisuke Gouri!!

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:22 pm

I'm with you 100% on the Budokai music, Mike. The HD release is a completely undesirable product next to a low-definition version with the soundtrack intact.

I loved your answer to my question about favorites moments of strategy in the series, especially Heath's mentioning of the struggle against Nappa. Honestly, I expected one of you to answer with Piccolo's Ki attack against #17. I'm sure you know the one.

I'm sorry that your statement about Vegeta/Zarbon was cut out of the original show. Had I known that I probably wouldn't have written that wall of text in. However, I consider the Final Flash a use of strategy in that Vegeta uses both his weakness in melee against Cell and his words to coax Cell into taking the beam. Also, after he fires, Kuririn mentions that he narrowed/focused the beam so much that it minimized the damage to earth. Vegeta had put some thought into the situation, but it's OK that we disagree because your interpretation is entirely plausible if not more consistent with his character throughout the series.

Anywho, thank you for including my question on the show and for the excellent response.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Duo wrote:Also, after he fires, Kuririn mentions that he narrowed/focused the beam so much that it minimized the damage to earth.
While also, I might add, maximizing the damage to Cell by making it a more focused and concentrated attack.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:21 pm

Kaboom wrote:While also, I might add, maximizing the damage to Cell by making it a more focused and concentrated attack.
Which makes him a FRIGGIN' GENIUS! My reasoning wins again!

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:04 pm

Kaboom wrote:
Duo wrote:Also, after he fires, Kuririn mentions that he narrowed/focused the beam so much that it minimized the damage to earth.
While also, I might add, maximizing the damage to Cell by making it a more focused and concentrated attack.
Yeah, I was thinking this while they were calling the Final Flash just "another beam". It's got a bit more purpose than a Kamehameha type blast, it seems. It's a very focused attack, and Vegeta played on Cell's cocky attitude and lured him into taking the deceptively over the top looking blast head on.
It's probly' the smartest thing he did in that entire arc, shame it just wasn't enough.
And as everyone else is saying, completely agree with the Budokai soundtracks, an essential part of the package for me, I doubt I'd ever want to play those games without those masterful tunes (no matter how plagiarised they are :wink: ).

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:27 am

Was Coola snubbed by his family?

I imagine he always got the cold shoulder...

Just out of curiosity, what does the closing Japanese bit translate into?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Cool, I got my name mentioned in a podcast. Or at least my online name anyway. I knew it'd pay off to finally follow on Facebook as well. :lol:

As for the pronunciation issues, I should have seen that coming, everyone always has that problem with it haha. You guys weren't too bad off though. The 'Gyt' is pronounced like 'Get', as I got it from an intentional misspelling of the British word 'git'. Kaliba is pronounced like, uh...the 'Kal' part is like the first part of 'Calvin', the 'i' isn't an 'e' sound, it's more like the i sound in the word 'in', and the 'ba' is just as it looks.

Or for an easier explanation probably, since that's where it comes from - Excaliber. Change it to Excalibah. Drop the Ex to have 'Calibah'. It's basically that, just without the 'h' sound that might seem to imply, so 'Caliba' basically.

And I agree, though I honestly had a blonde moment and completely forgot that despite his 'winning', Garlic Jr. kinda gets the worst end of the deal even after winning by getting his wish. Now I can't help but wonder where the heck he got his minions the second time around...

Also, off topic - if Meri is as addicted to the Social Link system in Persona 3 as I am, you are correct. You're never seeing her again. :lol:

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:48 pm

I can't believe the guy asking the budokai question didn't seem to be bothered by the attacks getting butchered. Well never see Broly smashing anyone's face in the ground in "HD" in that game now.

I wish there was more back story info on Bojack. I mean how did the weak Kaio's lock him up and his goons? His backstory seems really interesting..

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:51 pm

I'm maaaaaaybe starting to be swayed on the Final Flash example. Maybe. Not entirely.

But that's... what... not even a handful of examples we can come up with? Totally overshadowed by all the countless examples of him being the exact OPPOSITE of a smart/strategic fighter? He just ain't!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:45 pm

Vegeta acts smart and strategic when he recognizes beyond a shadow of a doubt that his opponent is a threat. When he assumes he's a gazillion times stronger than anyone else (ie most of the time), he acts like a total cretin. This explains the difference in his behavior between the Namek/Freeza arc (him versus his former boss and coworkers who he knows are all super strong), compared to the android/Cell arc (newly Super Saiyan him versus a bunch of Johnny-come-latlies). For that matter, it explains the differences in his behavior between the earlier and later parts of the Saiyan arc (from "let's wait around 3 hours for Kakarot to get here" to "dodge this and the Earth is toast"), and the Boo arc as well (from "Boo, Schmoo" to his Genki-Dama plan).
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:56 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I'm maaaaaaybe starting to be swayed on the Final Flash example. Maybe. Not entirely.

But that's... what... not even a handful of examples we can come up with? Totally overshadowed by all the countless examples of him being the exact OPPOSITE of a smart/strategic fighter? He just ain't!
There's no way I could turn the content of your original point on its head. I came to the bastards defense to say he's not a total idiot of a fighter. However, Herms just went and made that point better then any of my attempts, so, uh...word.