What's that BGM in the Japanese version? Read the OP!

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB1984
Banned

Re: What's that BGM in the Japanese version? Read the OP!

Post by DB1984 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:11 am

I suggest reaching him on Twitter. He stopped posting here. https://twitter.com/kenisu3000

I wish I knew what it was. His site could sure use an update. Especially to add that "Gregory Throws The Kame Gang For A Loop" and "Love at Second Sight" were unused cues from DB Movie 2 and DB Movie 3 respectively.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:46 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:49 pm DBZ Episode 125 at 11:51, right before the eyecatch (Dragon Box).

Where is this soundtrack from?
It's F31 "Tied to the Tree" from the A-J score
DB1984 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:11 am I suggest reaching him on Twitter. He stopped posting here. https://twitter.com/kenisu3000

I wish I knew what it was. His site could sure use an update. Especially to add that "Gregory Throws The Kame Gang For A Loop" and "Love at Second Sight" were unused cues from DB Movie 2 and DB Movie 3 respectively.
I recommend you to check out Blade's blog, it's a updated version of Kenisu's, correcting a lot of labells, mistakes and identifying the unreleased cues that Kenisu missed, it even includes the 2007 Nippon Ijin Taisho special
It currently only lacks the listing for the Z movies and the Album releases.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:02 pm

Thank you so much. So about the Nippon Ijin Taisho 2007 Special, so apparently, the masters of the unreleased cues still exist, based on the alternate "The Training Begins" being used twice? That's what it seems like to me.

And I recently theorized that "PK-Powered Ropes" may have been an unused DB Movie 1 cue, based on it suddenly first appearing after they began using the music from that movie in episode 55.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:17 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:46 pm
TheRed259 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:49 pm DBZ Episode 125 at 11:51, right before the eyecatch (Dragon Box).

Where is this soundtrack from?
It's F31 "Tied to the Tree" from the A-J score
Thanks.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:08 pm

DB1984 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:02 pm Thank you so much. So about the Nippon Ijin Taisho 2007 Special, so apparently, the masters of the unreleased cues still exist, based on the alternate "The Training Begins" being used twice? That's what it seems like to me.
Sorry for disappoiting you, but no, that isn't a alternate, it's jut the actual released cue but with a custom fade-out added to the end, that can be made by using some audio editing softwares, I could even replicate it by myself here, this wasn't the only track that suffered this kind of edit, others also suffered it, M1525 in Z Episode 258 was one of the victims, that is one of the few things Blade still needs to update.
And I recently theorized that "PK-Powered Ropes" may have been an unused DB Movie 1 cue, based on it suddenly first appearing after they began using the music from that movie in episode 55.
In fact the track is used for the first time in between the debuts of both the M200 score (Episode 53) and M300 score (Episode 58) in the TV series, both theories make sense, now Blade thinks it could be from M100, I really can't get to a proper conclusion about that track, I'm planning to make a full post about it, that Movie 2 unused cue gave me a idea.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:31 pm

As a Knight Rider fan myself, it's pretty unfortunate that they have been able to find new music reels from Don Peake to digitize (having seen a recent video on the official Knight Rider Historians channel), yet no new music reels of DB/DBZ with the Kikuchi score have surfaced to digitize. All these soundtracks of other franchises resurfacing, yet DB/DBZ by Kikuchi gets shunned.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:24 pm

DB1984 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:31 pmAll these soundtracks of other franchises resurfacing, yet DB/DBZ by Kikuchi gets shunned.
And this is all on the JP side, the one that should be respecting it the most. The incompetence surrounding the franchise handling is truly everywhere.

Super 17
Regular

Post by Super 17 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:21 am

Sorry for disappoiting you, but no, that isn't a alternate, it's jut the actual released cue but with a custom fade-out added to the end, that can be made by using some audio editing softwares, I could even replicate it by myself here, this wasn't the only track that suffered this kind of edit, others also suffered it, M1525 in Z Episode 258 was one of the victims, that is one of the few things Blade still needs to update.
This is correct. However. I'm pretty pretty sure that was done by having the multitrack of that cue instead of a editing software. They just left the other instruments on "mute" and made the fade-out how they intended.

Same with "The Love Between Father & Son" DB unreleased BGM (M316?)

The short version that is being labeled as an "alternate" is just the actual cue with the other instruments on silence from the multitrack and then doing the fade-out before the continuation of the next music pattern.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:24 am

Super 17 that could be the case, but I personally still believe the "alternate" of The Love Between Father & Son is a genuine different recording and not a edited version of the recurring cue
  • it isn't much, but still, there are multiple uses of the "alternate" of this track in DB, all of them with the same instruments removed, same length and same fade-out.
  • if they really could make that kind of edit to the audio channels in the tracks, then why would they waste such power in just a single track in Kikuchi's entire run in DB and Z?
  • Kikuchi composed several different recordings for the same cues throughout DB and Z, and most of them do sound almost identical to their "regular" versions, this could be one of them.
And there's still the fact that the work of the music editors in DB and Z was anything but consistent (I don't believe I need to explain it) so for me at least, it's really unlikely that they would make multiple uses of the same cue, with the same edits in each of them, it just sounds too convenient to me, but I could be wrong too, there's even the possibility that they indeed edited that cue once, and then recorded it to save it for future uses, idk.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:53 am

Have to concur, individual track stem usages (or even recordings in some cases) weren't very common in DB's time, in fact I'd venture to guess that they weren't really a thing in a lot of media till about the early 2000's.

BladeXRG

Post by BladeXRG » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:48 pm

Super 17 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:21 am
This is correct. However. I'm pretty pretty sure that was done by having the multitrack of that cue instead of a editing software. They just left the other instruments on "mute" and made the fade-out how they intended.

Same with "The Love Between Father & Son" DB unreleased BGM (M316?)

The short version that is being labeled as an "alternate" is just the actual cue with the other instruments on silence from the multitrack and then doing the fade-out before the continuation of the next music pattern.
I do agree with you, but if you were to pay attention to how many of the "alternates" found before I came here, you're gonna notice a lot of them are in fact just the tracks with muted instruments or minor changes:
  • A Crucial Secret has the electric guitar removed in the released movie version, in the "alternate" (most likely the original) you can hear the rest of instruments from the movie version alongside the guitar.
  • Same goes for the original B3, the unused and released alternate is just fissing a few instruments but you can place it over the alternate and it would sound exactly the same.
  • The alternate of M724 has just a slower tempo, the reason why I (and others) consider this an alternate is because in episode 19 you can clearly hear how the alternate was sped-up, which is a weird choice since the original was already at normal speed.
The list goes on and on, I could do an in-depth analysis on all the alternates: what is different, when are they used, which is the original recording and which were recorded in two different sessions. But to make it easier for me (and probably everyone else) I just chose to give every track, even those with the slightest of off-session edits that required isolated instruments, the label of alternates, regardless if they were original compositions or not.

I can't be bothered to document the movies BGMs (I promise I'm trying but the movies are so boring and bad, I don't enjoy watching them and I barely have the will to watch one each month), I can't be bothered with giving details for all alternate neither. I remarked the alternates being released as proof of off-session edits being actually saved and released so that I don't have to "correct" my list to make a difference between them and actual tracks recorded in different sessions; that wouldn't be hard, just more confusing for everyone.

For example, imagine not doing a difference between both A Crucial Secret versions and having to add a note on the movie 8 documentation and my Youtube channel to clarify the original version is the one with the electric guitar and the released one is just an off-session edit. Now do it with all alternates that aren't original compositions.

Although it may be cool to know, it's definitely going to be confusing, specially for those that don't actually know too much about BGMs and will be asking all over the place "why is this not uploaded to your channel" or "why is this marked on Kenisu's documentation but not yours". I'm starting to get enough of those questions and it gets tiresome to deal with.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:02 am

Wait, you don't have the documents for the movies? Weird, so the charts for all of the 16 movies in between the 86 and Z episodes will be disregarded in the next update?

Also, yeah, that's why I said that I can't be sure about it, there are points for both sides
Let's remember, for example, we have M809-1 and M809-2, the only differences between these is the tempo and a small fragment that in the other is repeated once.
And we have M1120A and M1120B, these actually sound like completely different recordings from each other, you can definitely tell that they are different compositions.
And we have M1313A and M1313B, the only difference between them is a different opening.

I thought naming the edits as "alternates" sounded bad but now I really understand why you did it, if even you or any other KIAs as Ghost find this confusing to the point of not reaching satisfactory conclusions, then who am I, the most we can do is settle for the safest possible info we have, Kikuchi's score is all about mystery. Love rewatching the movies but I really don't know if I'm able to help. Sorry for any incovenience.

BladeXRG

Post by BladeXRG » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:07 am

Rafa Fast wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:02 am Wait, you don't have the documents for the movies? Weird, so the charts for all of the 16 movies in between the 86 and Z episodes will be disregarded in the next update?

Also, yeah, that's why I said that I can't be sure about it, there are points for both sides
Let's remember, for example, we have M809-1 and M809-2, the only differences between these is the tempo and a small fragment that in the other is repeated once.
And we have M1120A and M1120B, these actually sound like completely different recordings from each other, you can definitely tell that they are different compositions.
And we have M1313A and M1313B, the only difference between them is a different opening.

I thought naming the edits as "alternates" sounded bad but now I really understand why you did it, if even you or any other KIAs as Ghost find this confusing to the point of not reaching satisfactory conclusions, then who am I, the most we can do is settle for the safest possible info we have, Kikuchi's score is all about mystery. Love rewatching the movies but I really don't know if I'm able to help. Sorry for any incovenience.
The funny thing is, I did the raw for the movies BGM documentation over six month ago, and I can pretty much say it from memory from how long I've been staring at it doing nothing. The part that bores me is having to pause every time to detail each scene and add the timestamps for those scenes, specially for someone who isn't a native english speaker.

I was waiting for SoM to sync the isolated laserdisc music tracks to the Toei WEB-DL remasters, but that also means they'd have to do their white balancing and colour correction which will take a while.

To be fair anyone could help me with it.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:17 pm

DBZ movie 9 - this piece plays at the climax of Gohan vs Bojack.

https://youtu.be/Do3TU9zJg-s?si=gQqzsL2m-nOxZ7Hm

What's the official name of the track, if any? Or is this another unreleased track?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:36 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:17 pm DBZ movie 9 - this piece plays at the climax of Gohan vs Bojack.

https://youtu.be/Do3TU9zJg-s?si=gQqzsL2m-nOxZ7Hm

What's the official name of the track, if any? Or is this another unreleased track?
This track is M1623 and it was released.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:21 am

Yeah, plus, a silly little info cause why not
There aren't official names for the Kikuchi's tracks, the only scores he composed that received official names for each individual cue are the ones from the Broly movies (for the first one specifically the released cues only, as some are unreleased), aside from that you will only find official names given to multi-track sets that were released on the Ongakushuus, Daizenshuu 1994 and the 2006 BGM Collection.
These individually only received numeric codes as labels, as "M1623", with "M" and the first two numbers meaning the score a track was composed for, and the last two numbers meaning the placing of the track in that score, both are in order.
(Note that his 2nd score only had a "M' without the two numbers, and the next 9 he composed only have a single number after the "M", as later he composed his 10th score, identified as M1000, adding one more number to the score count, but the track count always remains the same with two numbers)
Plus, not all of the officially released tracks received codes labels, so yeah, I know, very confusing.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:00 am

Rafa Fast wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:21 amThere aren't official names for the Kikuchi's tracks, the only scores he composed that received official names for each individual cue are the ones from the Broly movies (for the first one specifically the released cues only, as some are unreleased)
Aka the only good Z soundtrack releases, still not sure why they didn't do the ones in-between and after if they were able to.
Really came back to bite them years later after a certain earthquake throughout the franchise's music departmet.
aside from that you will only find official names given to multi-track sets that were released on the Ongakushuus, Daizenshuu 1994 and the 2006 BGM Collection.
Ah, the source of many a misnomer (minus the movie suites). It's also ridiculous how they re-released movie suite tracks of Movies 1-7 across all of those albums (Music Collection 1 specifically) without changing that much of anything significantly (barring incremental track additions), or including more tracks that weren't released. All the mono remained mono as well.
And on top of that, despite movies 8, 10, and 11 being released properly on CD, they still made movie suite tracks out of those ones. Don't know how Movies 12 and 13 didn't make it since Forte Music hadn't yet gone up in smoke at the time those movies came out (they only put out ED + Image song singles for those). To this day all those ones have are incomplete suite tracks, and that's probably the last we'll see of any BGM releases.

ma0u

Post by ma0u » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:05 am

Which BGM track is this playing in the background of Dabura's laughing in episode 232 ? It's the same music that played during the flashback montage in episode 230 (may be 2 or 3 different Kikuchi tracks mixed, not sure)

Edit: I found it, it's M1614 'Vegeta Realizes Something's Wrong' (AKA Dragon Ball Z Movie 9 Unreleased BGM, which is what the bsk099 version of the track has it titled as by default).

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:31 pm

Kenisu's website went down again?