Do the Z Fighters Still Use Martial Arts in the Z-era ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DonZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Do the Z Fighters Still Use Martial Arts in the Z-era ?

Post by DonZ » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:53 pm

It was obvious in the original series, since there wasn't any Ki attack involved -before the 22nd Budokai Tenkaichi- but since Z started, i couldn't tell if they're using martial arts or just some random punches or kicks.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Re: Do the Z Fighters Still Use Martial Arts in the Z-era ?

Post by GotenDaisuki » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:02 pm

The Z portion of the series makes the old martial arts style completely inept. It is all based on energy and ki and what have you after the 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai. Although, some martial arts are still present, prominently with Goten and Trunks, who agreed not to let themselves get carried away with their ki (Trunks breaking the rules when he goes Super Saiyan, and Goten's "Kamekame-Ha", and perhaps a few other small ki attacks were the only ones present in this battle, if memory serves me). That is what I think, anyway, but the fact of the matter is martial arts is no longer relevant for the most part after Dragon Ball.
Last edited by GotenDaisuki on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So mondo lame.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:03 pm

Nop. Just brutal strength and KI blasts here and there.

The most "martial art" fight like is Goku vs Uub in the end. That fight was a great choice to finish Z.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:24 pm

Even though it probably had some Ki in the attacks, I was a fan of Birus'/Beerus' pressure-point martial arts in BotG.

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:26 pm

Martial arts is simply an art of fighting, so of course they still use this. Martial arts is not a specific form of fighting, like say Kung Fu. It is used for physical, mental and spiritual strengthening.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:45 pm

Avenged wrote:Martial arts is simply an art of fighting, so of course they still use this. Martial arts is not a specific form of fighting, like say Kung Fu. It is used for physical, mental and spiritual strengthening.
It's a specific form of fighting in that it's codified.

I don't know if they still use martial arts in DBZ, but Goku has a martial arts background. Vegeta doesn't.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:51 pm

I imagine Vegeta uses some form of Saiyan fighting style.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:35 pm

Insertclevername wrote:I imagine Vegeta uses some form of Saiyan fighting style.
This! I also miss seeing Martial Art stances like these
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:00 pm

I don't think the hand to hand fighting is actually that different from the non-Z era. Just more chi usage and less poses.
But yeah, even if Vegeta didn't learn the martial arts from Earth he is still just a martial artist character with scifi coating.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:40 pm

Saiyan Saga had a perfect balance between martial arts and battle power but the martial arts become less prodominate as the series goes along.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:10 pm

The technical "art" aspect was really downplayed by the Freeza-arc, but even then there were still some good "traditional" style martial arts at points in that fight. But after that, it was all generic flurries of punches and kicks, and ki blast spamming.

The 22nd through the 23rd Tournaments were the highlight of technical martial arts in the series.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:24 pm

I think for the 'Z' portion of Dragon Ball 'good' examples of martial arts are:
Goku vs Vegeta
Goku vs Ginyu
Goku vs Cell

The style of fighting in these fights wasn't just haymakers and ki blasts, there was style and grace aswell.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:32 pm

The Monkey King wrote:I think for the 'Z' portion of Dragon Ball 'good' examples of martial arts are:
Goku vs Vegeta
Goku vs Ginyu
Goku vs Cell

The style of fighting in these fights wasn't just haymakers and ki blasts, there was style and grace aswell.
Piccolo vs Android 17 as well. Probably my 2nd favorite fight in the series (after Goku and Vegeta.)
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:11 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
The Monkey King wrote:I think for the 'Z' portion of Dragon Ball 'good' examples of martial arts are:
Goku vs Vegeta
Goku vs Ginyu
Goku vs Cell

Piccolo vs Android 17 as well. Probably my 2nd favorite fight in the series (after Goku and Vegeta.)
It's ironic that you say that, considering my favorite part of that fight was when they were just WAILING on each other. :lol:
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:50 pm

I've always taken it that they are still using martial arts just as they were before whenever they are using hand to hand combat, its just that its not a focal point of the story anymore so they don't bother to depict it. they depict the characters' super speed in a way that doesn't make the fighting moves discernable.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:29 pm

Yes...
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:01 am

I wanted to see some more martial arts in Z. Especially the Goku vs. Perfect Cell fight.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:17 am

I think the martial arts is still there, but that it's reached the point that you can't even see it anymore. I forget which tournament it was--23rd, maybe--where Goku took on a stance that didn't look like a stance at all, but Tenshinhan and the others could tell that it was a big deal because of how calm Goku's heart was. Sometimes someone can have no openings even when they look entirely relaxed--in anime, at least. :lol:
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:09 am

Bussani wrote:I think the martial arts is still there, but that it's reached the point that you can't even see it anymore. I forget which tournament it was--23rd, maybe--where Goku took on a stance that didn't look like a stance at all, but Tenshinhan and the others could tell that it was a big deal because of how calm Goku's heart was. Sometimes someone can have no openings even when they look entirely relaxed--in anime, at least. :lol:
That reminds me of either the 21st or 22nd Budokai, where Goku is being relaxed and his opponent is spotting the holes in his guard. But rather than Goku actually being on guard and just looking relaxed, Goku just plain overpowered the guy.

Stuff like that makes me think martial arts has never been as important as being overpowered was.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:23 am

Saiga wrote:Stuff like that makes me think martial arts has never been as important as being overpowered was.
It's such a shame. In a shonen manga, I could really have accepted if a character was weaker than another but could block all his moves with martial arts and even inflict him damage via pressure points and whatnot and defeat him. That sounds like the kind of concepts that would fit in a shonen. But sadly DBZ never used that concept (except maybe when SSJ Grade III Trunks couldn't hit Cell, but it wasn't Cell using martial arts it was just Trunks being plain too slow).