Favorite voice for Vegeta?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Re: Favorite voice for Vegeta?

Post by TheRed259 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:46 am

Having watched DragonBall in many languages I will say that my favourite Vegeta voices are:
the English one (Chris Sabat), Latino (especially the one for DBZ Kai), Greek, Indonesian and Albanian.
Last edited by TheRed259 on Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:57 am

Ryo Horikawa, absolutely.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:30 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Having watched DragonBall in many languages I will say that my favourite Vegeta voices are:
the English one (Chris Sabat), Latino (especially the one for DBZ Kai), Greek, Indonesian and Albanian.

Weird choices huh? :lol:
Of course, there are other voices for Vegeta out there which I also like but these 5 are my favourites.
Have you watched the french version? Eric Legrand is amazing as Vegeta.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:52 pm

sangofe wrote:
TheRed259 wrote:Having watched DragonBall in many languages I will say that my favourite Vegeta voices are:

Weird choices huh? :lol:
Of course, there are other voices for Vegeta out there which I also like but these 5 are my favourites.
Have you watched the french version? Eric Legrand is amazing as Vegeta.
I've seen French Kai, Legrand does have a Horikawa like sound to him. I'd say Horikawa (Z), Sabat (Kai, even more so in Battle of Gods), Legrand (Kai, from what I've heard of him), the Korean Vegeta (don't know the actors name), and Garcia (Latino Z, I remember hearing Latino Kai and not hating his recast voice). Honorable mention, Brian Drummond, I like him more as Ryuk nowadays. But, his Vegeta was the first English one and still a solid voice despite some shitty scripts. Hopefully the rumored Ocean Kai comes out and they do the dialouge well like FUNimation did (wouldn't mind this time around if they just used FUNimation's scripts).

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:08 pm

The japanese voice of course and also the late Cell Games and Boo arc voice for the portuguese dub also, even if's only because of nostalgia.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:08 pm

Its a tie between Horikawa and Sabat's current Vegeta, the one without all the gravel.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:16 pm

Definitely Ryo Horikawa, particularly during his prime.

He's captures all the essence of Vegeta's character without sounding too pompous or disgruntled.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:47 pm

I've only heard the Japanese Vegeta, early Z dub Vegeta (...cannot remember either of those voice actors' names off the top of my head), and Sabat's Vegeta (or "Vegetas," since there's such a huge difference between his early Vegeta and his more recent Vegeta), so I can't really compare a bunch of different dubs like a lot of people on this post...

Early Z dub Vegeta is definitely my least-favorite of the three. I have nothing against the Japanese Vegeta voice, but my preference is probably Sabat's later (Buu, Kai, BoG, etc.) Vegeta. His Vegeta voice definitely got better over time, and there were some weird bits in the script (the cheesy robot jokes in the early Android saga... I mean, that kind of stuff works for the #19 fight since he's actually a robot, but #17 and #18 are mostly human so it just makes Vegeta look a bit dumb when he makes robot jokes about them... XD) and emphasis-on-the-wrong-word moments earlier on ("sad-for-YOOOOOU!") that made things a bit stranger to listen to than they should've been.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:53 pm

but #17 and #18 are mostly human so it just makes Vegeta look a bit dumb when he makes robot jokes about them
Does he know that at this point?
He's captures all the essence of Vegeta's character without sounding too pompous or disgruntled.
Yes, he's extremely gruntled.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:29 am

TheRed259 wrote:
sangofe wrote: As for Eric Legrand, I think that he is not good as Vegeta because his voice is too feminine and makes Vegeta sound like a gentleman.
How is it Feminine? You mean too high pitched?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk4oDZhc30Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzR4qQwvm1Q#t=63

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:43 am

1) Ryo Horikawa.The one and only Prince of Saiyans.
2) Chris Sabat.At first, I thought that his acting was ridiculous (I mean, in the first original dub), but after watching S8/S9, S1/S2 redubbed, and Kai, IMO it's the best dub actor.
3) Brian Drummond.In the Ocean dub of course...his acting is so weird in the Westwood dub - poorly directed, I guess.
4) Eric Legrand.I grew up with his voice after all...a great voice actor, really ! If only the Z & Kai french scripts weren't so childish.... :thumbdown:
5) The Cantonese Vegeta (What's his name ?!!I've searched it for a long time, never found anything, even on H.K/Chinese websites).I love his acting, although I don't know a single word of Cantonese. :oops:

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:12 am

1 - Joao Loy (1st portuguese voice)
2 - Ricardo Spinola (3rd portuguese voice)
3 - Ryō Horikawa
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:58 am

sangofe wrote:How is it Feminine? You mean too high pitched?
First of all, I am referring to his DBZ performance (not his Kai one).
And yes, he has too gentle and quiet speech and I do find his performance ridiculous when he gets angry.
But again, this is my opinion that has to do with my own preferences. The voice actor is really good but he is just not my style.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:40 am

ShinGaijin wrote:1) Ryo Horikawa.The one and only Prince of Saiyans.
2) Chris Sabat.At first, I thought that his acting was ridiculous (I mean, in the first original dub), but after watching S8/S9, S1/S2 redubbed, and Kai, IMO it's the best dub actor.
3) Brian Drummond.In the Ocean dub of course...his acting is so weird in the Westwood dub - poorly directed, I guess.
4) Eric Legrand.I grew up with his voice after all...a great voice actor, really ! If only the Z & Kai french scripts weren't so childish.... :thumbdown:
5) The Cantonese Vegeta (What's his name ?!!I've searched it for a long time, never found anything, even on H.K/Chinese websites).I love his acting, although I don't know a single word of Cantonese. :oops:
Hey, the Kai scripts of the french dub are good.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:42 am

TheRed259 wrote:
sangofe wrote:How is it Feminine? You mean too high pitched?
First of all, I am referring to his DBZ performance (not his Kai one).
And yes, he has too gentle and quiet speech and I do find his performance ridiculous when he gets angry.
But again, this is my opinion that has to do with my own preferences. The voice actor is really good but he is just not my style.
Oh well, to me, he's equally good to Ryo Horikawa.

Tatakae!!Ramenman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatakae!!Ramenman » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:25 pm

I can't stand Chris Sabat's acting. I feel like now he overacts everything too. My favorite voice for Vegeta is actually the guy who voiced him in the big green dub for movie 7 onward. I think there was a different person who voiced him in the big green dub for movie 6, though. Then the ocean dub Vegeta is second. Chris Sabat can do a lot of different voices, but in my opinion, he can't act well, and I don't like his voice for Vegeta.
Neo died for our smiths.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:32 pm

I had saw this video today, I think it's a good aditional for this topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om9zSLd1Iis

Just a comparison of Vegeta's voice in different scenes(include I have added this in the topic of the best dub).

It's hard to take a favorite voice, but I think the Top 5 could be:

1 - Ryo Horikawa
2 - Alfredo Rollo (Brazilian dub)
3 - Guozhi Quan (Cantonese dub)
4 - Joan Sanz (Catalan dub)
5 - Chris Sabat (after Kai only)

And the Top 5 worst(the 1 one is the real worse):

1 - Old Serbian dub
2 - Portuguese (Portugal) 2nd Voice
3 - English (Malaysian dub)
4 - Portuguese (Portugal) 1st Voice
5 - Maybe the Hindi one(the acting is good, but the voice sounds like an strange imitation of Brian Drummond, cause the Hindi dub was based in the Ocean one)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:35 pm

Ryo Horikawa, with Sabat post-Kai a close second.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:37 pm

Either Horikawa or Cell Saga Kai Sabat