So why is Adult Gohan always shamed by the fandom?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

So why is Adult Gohan always shamed by the fandom?

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:02 pm

I noticed how some fans of the show say they dislike Adult Gohan because he's not "badass" anymore and he gave up fighting to be a scholar. I mean, why put him down for trying to achieve his dreams.?

I always loved Adult Gohan, because I felt he had much more self esteem and he was a lot happier than Kid/Teen Gohan. Also, he was able to attend public school and was finally able to have friends around his age, so I don't see why anyone would hate the fact that he's a better person than he was before.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: So why is Adult Gohan always shamed by the fandom?

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:20 pm

I think it's mostly because he 'didn't beat Boo', mixed with him failing as the lead character. That and a lot of people don't like the Saiyaman stuff (which I love). Honestly, Gohan of any kind isn't my favorite character, but I liked him a lot more in the Boo arc than I did anywhere else. He seemed to finally come into his own as a character rather than being 'the son of Goku' who either A) was helpful enough in a fight, or B) got in the way. Cell Games Gohan is cool enough too though.

And not to de-rail the topic, but two off-topic-ish additions. 1) Huh...never noticed that the books Gohan were holding were by Darwin. 2) Love the Botan avatar. Easily one of my favorite characters in Yu Yu Hakusho. :mrgreen:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:18 pm

This isn't in universe. But actually its split 50-50. Lots of fans seem to enjoy Teen-Adult Gohan for being himself and living life while the others hate hin for not being kid Gohan. I like them evenly. Gohan grew up saw that there was no more threats to Earth and said fuck fighting I'm living my life. That's respect.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:31 pm

Suddenly not being a fighter in a series mostly about fighting kind of makes him a "loser" to the reader.

I, for one, admire him for landing a nice piece in Videl. But for some reason, married scholar Gohan is still living at home with his parents, in the middle of nowhere.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:41 pm

From a more practical standpoint, yeah, Gohan's the best off out of possibly the whole main cast, what with getting married, becoming a scholar, and so forth.

But like penguintruth said, that's a secondary concern when it comes to Dragon Ball. Gohan's career choices are significantly less vital to the plot than whether or not he's able to take down the big bads who keep trying to wreck the Earth. But despite also having a crapton of natural talent in that department, Gohan's EXTREMELY prone to failure, and practically always drops the ball unless someone's helping him. Hence why people poke fun at him.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:43 pm

I like Gohan in the Saiyan-Namek arcs, but after that he just falls out of relevance. Toriyama pushed him back into the picture during the Cell Games, but I wasn't a fan of his mini-Vegeta phase. The Saiyaman stuff is fun, but I never really cared for Mystic Gohan either. Although that has more to do with how the entire Gohan fight felt pointless, rather than the actual character himself.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:44 pm

penguintruth wrote:But for some reason, married scholar Gohan is still living at home with his parents, in the middle of nowhere.
I could be wrong, but isn't it more common in Japan for a family to remain living together, or at least take in the parents when they get older? I've always just chalked it up to that, but someone more knowledgeable could correct me on this.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:46 pm

Yeah, with Goku constantly going off and living with 10-year-old boys and stuff, it's probably more that Gohan's taking care of Chichi by still living there. At least it seems he and Videl actually just have their own house built right next door.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:50 pm

Kaboom wrote:Yeah, with Goku constantly going off and living with 10-year-old boys and stuff
...Nah, too easy. *doesn't make the joke*

And really, for all we know, Gohan being a 'scholar' could just be that he's a teacher. Maybe he's not that wealthy at all, other than the obvious in to Mr. Satan's wealth.
Twitter

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:53 pm

I'd take Videl over being the world's strongest warrior too.

Don't let my wife see this message...
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:34 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:I'd take Videl over being the world's strongest warrior too.

Or in Gohan's case, you can have both (Fuck Bitches. Get Money Power.).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:42 pm

Kaboom wrote:Yeah, with Goku constantly going off and living with 10-year-old boys and stuff
The obvious jokes aside, I'm not sure that Uub's parents are too happy about this well-fed muscled superman living in their shack, eating the little food they have, and punching their son in the name of training. They probably have distended stomachs and bones poking out, and this spikey-headed picture of health just hanging out probably pisses them off.

Now that's a sequel I'd like to see.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:50 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:

I just wanna clarify and avoid any possible misconceptions here.

Your not calling my wife a bitch are you?
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:54 pm

Yeah, while I can see why the fandom of a largely fighting-centric show dislikes a character who turns his back on fighting, it's not something that's ever made sense to me personally. After all, for me, the fighting is one of the things I care for the least. That's not to say I don't like it, but I can't be entertained by fighting alone. It bores me. I have to have a reason to be invested in the fighting, so it's necessary for the story and characters to get me to that point. Also, I love the first arc of Dragon Ball, where only about half of the main characters are fighters, but the non-fighters still contribute to the story and have interesting personalities.

Couple that with the desire I've always had to actually see these characters' lives rather than just having them constantly in battle all the time. And elements like that were much more common earlier in the series. So, yeah, my reaction to things like Great Saiyaman was an excited, "Yay! I get to see Gohan go to school!"

So, no, just like with Yamucha and Kuririn, I don't fault Gohan for pushing his life in a different direction. And unlike those two characters, we actually get to see what he does instead. So, yeah, that's awesome. That said, I do agree with the idea that Gohan was wasted in the Boo arc, with months upon months of buildup that lead to nothing. That's frustrating and stupid.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:55 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:

I just wanna clarify and avoid any possible misconceptions here.

Your not calling my wife a bitch are you?
No, not at all. I was just making a funny reference but then I remembered meaning was off from what I thought it meant.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:32 pm

People hate Adult Gohan so much because of his character and their denial of who he was. He isnt Vegeta or Goku. He is a mamma's boy with a pacifist heart. Though most of the fans who were obessed with SSJ2-Kid Gohan lost the "badass" they remembered him being during his OP-hype against Cell. Most western people hated the fact he stopped training and chose to be a scholar as he wanted. They hate Gohan because he chose to give up being that rage-boost abusing unorthadox little shit he was in the namek saga. Though Cell-saga gohan most definately was their source of nostalgia and anything that breaks it makes them foaming mad.They refused to accept him having a personality and refused to accept that he isnt the "badass" they invisioned him as. Thus why they hate him, but they love Mystic Gohan because he reminds them of what they missed in him. Wether or not he lost. They dont care that Gohan cant fight at all without his dad holding his hand as even Buu said. They couldn't accept that their favourate character sucks.

I might be very few of the only people that likes Adult Gohan's awkward personality and genuine pure-heart, I pit him for living under such a high expectation of him all because of his father and his powers that they forced him to accept despite not having the heart to control it. Thus why he was such an incompetant fighter. He never was one at all. People often miss this despite it proven evident during his fight with Dabura. Vegeta at that time was basically the voice of the fanbase and Goku represented my position.
Then in the Buu saga tried to force him back into battle despite his incometence. Goku didnt at all learn that Gohan cant do it but again forced him anyway because to him Gohan was nothing but a weapon.

My only problem with adult Gohan is the fact that the Buu saga tried to reestablish him as a lead when he volenteered to just be a background guy. Instead of giving Piccolo or Vegeta that chance to take over, or giving Tien that comeback he still needs they yet again have to give gohan that magic "hidden power release" and hes back to top tier again. Not training a day in his life in 7 years, and losing 2/3 of his SSJ energy from Yamu and Spopovich he somehow gets a boost that puts him over Goku himself. Though thats just bad writting.

I hate Gohan for his Fight with Buu. It was next to Vegitto vs Buu, the worst fight in the series. Mystic Gohan just sucks. Period. YET the fanboys still coin this age old myth that says he is the strongest unfused character on the Z-Team and didnt have to work a day to get it. This made him the infamous Gary-stu of the series and its not his fault. Akira should never have tried to push him after he gave up on him.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:35 pm

How would unlocking Tien power matter? I doubt he would compete with a monster above SSJ3 :roll: .

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:38 pm

A big part of it is probably because despite all the build-up, his role whole role in the Buu arc ended up being "Super Buu's bitch".

Also, Gohan being the strongest of the team isn't a myth. There's not a single other member of the main cast that isn't finger flick material to him. Yet he underestimated the apparent "retard", and so got his ass kicked and failed, while Goku had tons of help and many, many more ass pulls to save him from the same fate.
Last edited by RandomGuy96 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:39 pm

I agree that Gohan and Vegetto's beat down on Buu were boring and deprived on tension. I did love the part where Buu absorbed Gotenks, that was actually well thought out.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:43 pm

Gohan beating on Buu is necessary to establish his superiority and make Buu's later victory more surprising.

Vegetto's is just ass pull after ass pull, until the character himself is killed via another ass pull.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.