Favorite thing about GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Favorite thing about GT?

Post by gohann » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:34 pm

In light of all of the anti-GT threads popping up recently, I thought I'd make a pro-GT thread.

Personally, I loved the idea of their overuse of the Dragon Balls backfiring on them.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Favorite thing about GT?

Post by Kakacarrottop » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:28 pm

+ A lot of badass villains with cool designs (Rilldo, Omega Shenron, Ledgic etc) who outnumber the lame ones
+ SSJ4
+ It executed the "Hell escape" concept better than Fusion Reborn
+ The fights didn't drag on too long like in Z
+ Bebi's possession/infection ability was neat
+ More fitting end than Z
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:45 pm

I liked all three of the Super Saiyan 4 designs (and Golden Oozaru), the main villains (Baby, Super #17, Yi Xing Long), Oob merging with Boo, the Ultimate Dragon Balls, Goku being a child again while keeping his adult form in SS4, and the mysterious ending.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:57 pm

I really like it too for these reasons:

- Tokunaga's amazing score
- Its swift pace
- Colorful worlds and great animation
- Love the character designs and the way everyone changed making it feel like they enjoy living on Earth (the saiyajins that is)
- Cool villains and flashy fights that didn't drag on for too long
- A sob-inducing ending full of nostalgia giving everything real closure
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:01 pm

- Cool villain desgins
- A good music score
- The SSj4 fight scenes in the Shadow Dragon arc and SSj4 Goku vs. Super 17 were very enjoyable
- The placing is better then DBZ
- It has a good final episode

That's all I can think of.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:02 pm

Basically:
- The soundtrack is godly and keeps up with KiKuchi.
- Best Opening and Endings
- Goku becoming a child again
- Goku need a tail again and turning Golden Oozaru/SSj4 for the first time
- Baby
- Piccolo's death and his last words to Gohan
- The ending
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:11 pm

-Masterful soundtrack.
-No major pacing issues like the previous two shows.
-It redeems itself a bit with the final arc.
-Solid conclusion.
-SSJ4 is a pretty cool (albeit unorthodox) design.

That's pretty much it.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:25 pm

I'm fond of the music in the show as well as the openings and endings, specifically this one

I've always been a fan of Android 17 so despite how poorly executed the Super 17 saga was it didn't stop me from getting a little excited at seeing him return and as a main villain no less. The design was kinda cool too.

I also enjoyed the appearance of SS4 Gogeta and especially his golden sparked aura.

The fire and ice dragons were a neat idea. Those episodes in particular are great to watch if only for the animation being above average quality for GT.

Oh and of course the finale is nice.
Last edited by NitroEX on Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:26 pm

-Nice Ending
-SSJ4 looks cool.
-Omega/Syn Shenron looks cool.
-Concept of Shadow Dragons is good, imo. Not so much the negative energy thing, but the fact that they're directly associated with the dragon balls.

I literally hate everything else.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:21 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Basically:
- The soundtrack is godly and keeps up with KiKuchi.
This, hm ... I ... honestly don't know.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:51 pm

- The Shadow Dragons
- SSJ4 (Even though the franchise jumped the shark with that concept)
- SSJ4 Gogeta vs Omega Shenron
- The Japanese Soundtrack
- The tearjerker ending
- Better pacing than DBZ

That's it.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:16 pm

- Giru/Gill whatever
- Vegeta's characterisation

That's it for me.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:33 pm

Most of the Piccolo scenes. He was generally treated well by GT.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:55 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Most of the Piccolo scenes. He was generally treated well by GT.
Well they did sort of treat him with dignity by not having him get infected by Bebi or anything (he could have been infected we just never saw) and by completing his transition from bad guy to good guy, but in the end he really contributed nothing of value to GT, he didn't fight nor did he mentor/train anyone and his sacrifice was ultimately in vain. He was just as important to GT as Tien, Yamcha, Krillin and all those other characters who simply went missing without a trace.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:57 pm

Kakacarrottop wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:Most of the Piccolo scenes. He was generally treated well by GT.
Well they did sort of treat him with dignity by not having him get infected by Bebi or anything (he could have been infected we just never saw) and by completing his transition from bad guy to good guy, but in the end he really contributed nothing of value to GT, he didn't fight nor did he mentor/train anyone and his sacrifice was ultimately in vain. He was just as important to GT as Tenshinhan, Yamcha, Krillin and all those other characters who simply went missing without a trace.
He had an excellent death scene, that last talk with Gohan, he was critical to getting Goku out of Hell in the Super 17 Arc, he had a badass moment where we find out that he has taken over the role as Guardian of Hell, and his last conversation with Goku is touching.

You don't have to be all "punchy-punchy kicky-kicky bang bang pow" to be a good character.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:16 pm

The dramatic music and the animation, opening/endings. And the growing an outfit thing
Like the 80s Hulk when Transforming into an SSJ4. And SSJ4 vs. a pig that's the biggest let down
for me, and a signature that it's not traditional(Toriyama) Dragonball.

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:32 pm

-Opening and endings
- Soundtrack
- SSJ Goku kid
- Goku's outfit
- Pan's design
- the end of GT
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

Gokufan

Post by Gokufan » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:18 pm

My favourite thing about GT?

- it's non canon :lol:

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:20 pm

Baby is a good villain.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:34 pm

-I personally like the updated character designs. I like the blue/yellow gi Goku wears, I like how they made Pan look, Trunks is, meh, Goten looks a lot better than his EoZ self, and Vegeta (barring that mustache) looks cool as well

-I also actually enjoy Mark Menza's BGM, pretty catchy at times

-I like the relationship between Goku and Pan, it's funny at times

-I like how they don't need to use SSJ every single fight every episode, until the Super 17 arc where every non SSJ4 is irrelevant :|