Episode #0014 (19 February 2006)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0014 (19 February 2006)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:25 am

Episode #0014 (download MP3)
60:03; 64 kbps, mono; 27.7 MB

Episode #0014! VegettoEX, Julian, and Meri banter and talk about this week's non-existent news. This week's discussion is regarding nuances in the Japanese performances and character voices that may have been lost in the English adaptation of the show. We close it up with releases and both audio and text e-mails! Referenced sites: Whee! Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the insane *fourteen* episodes, now.

Never has a single quote been more requested than Freeza's fireworks line... and so it shall be. Lots of audio samples from the show, and a fun look at some of our favorite characters' darn-tootin' hick accents, polite speak, and sheer arrogance. What are you missing when you watch the dub? This kind of gold!

Have fun!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:52 am

good episode

i loved bid for power, both versions, the dbz version, and the 'final' nondbz version

liked the email section a lot this time

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:13 am

Well, I'll be honest. I don't mind dub Freeza because that's what I was introduced too first. His Japanese voice is indeed totally awesome from what little of it I've heard, but yeah, that's just me. I'm glad you at least saw where it was coming from, but again, FUNimation had come a long way since then. I think that most of what the character voices came from is what Meri pointed out with it being targeted towards more of a younger audience, similiar to what they did with Trunks. Got me to love the show despite the circumstances, so yeah.

On that note, thanks Meri (since I know you're on the forum now) for that little tidbit on Rock Lee's speech in both languages. That'll come in handy for when I start recording for the Hellcon podcast in the near future. Some of the others were wondering why he has the almost "old fashioned Jackie-chan movie" type of voice.

Also, I'm just gonna run this by again. Yes, I know you saved my audio question, Mike, but is it okay if I send a different one with something to be answered whether it be text or audio? I was wondering if that would go against the limit of the amount of questions one can ask for an individual episode.

EDIT: Oh and I almost forgot, that scream at the end...pure gold XD
Last edited by Kirbopher on Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:19 am

First off: I just listened to all the podcast today (actually, I started almost exactly 24 hours ago) and it's kind of hard to hear Julian. I know he's in Japan, but can you pump up his volume a little? I can hear him fine if I turn up the volume, but my ears hurt when Mike jumps in.

"Speaking of touching"... I found the discussion about the voices absolutly riviting. I love discussions about really intricate complicated stuff. Like what the different dialects and forms of speech are, and how they effect the story and characters. It's something I'd love to hear more of - but I can't give any suggestions on who, except for "everyone". I find the Japanese language facinating.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:52 am

N00bish Question Alert: What excactly does "San" mean, does it mean sir?
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:02 am

Great Saiyaman wrote:N00bish Question Alert: What excactly does "San" mean, does it mean sir?
Pretty much (as I recall), but it's used only for people you feel close too - and is more of a "casual" type of speech.
http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=513698

I think Julian, MultilangDBZ, or Steeve Simmonds would be best to answer that question, though :P

(Though I do know how to count to ten, and maybe to 20, in Japanese :D )

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:25 am

OK, cool.

OK, I got done listening to the Podcast...this is gonna prove (if it wasn't already proven) that I am pure dubbie by heart. I think that Freeza's voice resembles his JP counterpart, not in the sound but such as you said, the way he speaks.

He still has those light, polite tones until bassically the whole Dragon Ball things & then when fighting Goku.

Also, I also believe that Trunks Dub voice is perfect, putting aside th way he talks, his JP voice sounds too mean. =/

BTW, well said telling off those bastards who say there is no character development. :lol:

Also, I have to say, I totally agree with you on the Goku/Piccolo battle. I just recently read this for the Goku/Piccolo fight in the Manga.....previously all I had seen was the "wonderful" Dub fight.....but when I read it...I was like, Holy Friggin shit, I've never seen any DB/Z/GT battle like this, so bloody.
Last edited by Great Saiyaman on Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:30 am

Great Saiyaman wrote:Also, I also believe that Trunks Dub voice is perfect, putting aside th way he talks, his JP voice sounds too mean.
He grew up in a post apocalyptic world. Plus, he's Vegeta's kid. I'd be mean too :P

edit-
Not having heard much DBZ in Japanese I was quite relieved when I heard Freeza's JP voice. I was like "That is Freeza."
Last edited by desirecampbell on Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:31 am

desirecampbell wrote:
Great Saiyaman wrote:Also, I also believe that Trunks Dub voice is perfect, putting aside th way he talks, his JP voice sounds too mean.
He grew up in a post apocalyptic world. Plus, he's Vegeta's kid. I'd be mean too :P
But the thing is...he's not a mean character, he's so nice & sweet & yet his JP voice sounds like he should be saying "fuck you all".

JAKEMAN
Beyond Newbie

Post by JAKEMAN » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:26 am

Another great podcast, I think that their should be a whole episode of VegettoEX just shouting out swear words and curses at Funimation.
Last edited by JAKEMAN on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Remember these things I tell you
*Dragonball GT: The GT Stands for Good Tunes
DS Friend Code

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:01 am

Great Saiyaman wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:
But the thing is...he's not a mean character, he's so nice & sweet & yet his JP voice sounds like he should be saying "fuck you all".
It's funny, because that's the opposite of the point I was trying to make :D I think the Japanese voice is nice and sweet (except for when he's pissed), and the English voice (as much as I like it overall), is too angry. As we pointed out in the topic, nuances like that are lost in the transition to the English language.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:29 am

godofchaos & JAKEMAN, please remember to type properly :P.

I absolutely thrilled that even just a small number of people enjoyed the topic. I knew *I* found it interesting, and I was stoked when Meri said she really wanted to do the episode, but I wasn't sure if we were going to be getting a little too in-depth for our listeners to really care about. I'm so happy that wasn't the case.

kirbopher: By all means, please send another question! I've been so busy the last couple of days, I've really lost some time on my re-reading, so you're definitely due to have at least *one* question on the show, soon :P.

Regarding honorifics and titles, I just skimmed through these two Wikipedia entries, and they're pretty damn awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_honorifics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_titles

As for Julian's volume levels, that's something you need to yell at *him* about. He'll be perfectly matched during out audio-testing session, and then start talking all quiet during the show :P. I manually went through and bumped up each individual portion of his talking as best I could this episode, but sometimes it wasn't enough. Granted, I did accidentally have myself and Meri a little higher than normal on the mixer, but it doesn't change the fact that Julian was theoretically putting out the exact same waveform we were when the show began! :P *smacks*

And finally, let me make it perfectly clear that I do *not* hate FUNimation, and think the FUNimation of this era is an absolutely phenomenal company, really cares about their fans, and put out some jaw-droppingly-amazing products.

However, this doesn't change the fact that I think the DBZ dub is absolutely retarded and has caused me to put up with a bunch of bullshit nonsense that drives me up the wall :P.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:17 am

I'm glad you read some of my e-mail. I guess it was a little too long winded to get through it all. :P But I sppreciate the level of attention it got, since you used your infamous dub Roshi voice.

And hearing you scream that you hated the dub made me happy inside.

On another note, I have to say that the first time I heard him say it, I thought it was odd that Freeza referred to Zarbon and Dodoria as Zarbon-san and Dodoria-san. Villians usually aren't that (seemingly) nice.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:44 am

Yet another great podcast.
Loved everything of it. Very interesting facts about the dialects and ways of speaking.
The yell where EX says "I fucking hate the dub" (or did he says the f word? Not too sure) was hilarous ;)

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:12 pm

Speaking of perfect grammer in the Japanese version, when Cell becomes perfect, dosen't his grammer become perfect to? He has that gentlemen-ish way of talking dosen't he?

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:29 pm

VegettoEX wrote:And finally, let me make it perfectly clear that I do *not* hate FUNimation, and think the FUNimation of this era is an absolutely phenomenal company, really cares about their fans, and put out some jaw-droppingly-amazing products.

However, this doesn't change the fact that I think the DBZ dub is absolutely retarded and has caused me to put up with a bunch of bullshit nonsense that drives me up the wall :P.
Okay, that makes me feel a LOT better, and prettymuch answers the second part of the audio question I sent you a long while ago XD The other part is totally understandable.

Awesome! I have some in mind, so I'll be sure to send one! Also, I enjoyed the discussion as well, especially since I was actually able to understand it all ^^;

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:54 pm

Great podcast. I have to say I prefer Linda Young's Genkai to her Frieza. Though like you say it has to do with how the actor/actress is directed.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:19 pm

Agreed her voice actually fit Genkai very well.

Great Pod Cast, you have set a high standard!
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Tenka-Ichi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenka-Ichi » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:22 pm

Yet another great Podcast! You mentioned how when Chi-chi says -san it sounds like -sa, to me it kind of sounds more as if she was just pronouncing it in french. I've also heard a lot more people from other animes pronounce it like this too.

P.S. Thank you for those wikipedia articles EX, there was some really good info I've been wanting to know in there.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:14 am

Thanks so much for answering my question! The headset idea's actually pretty creative. I'll just be buying the dvd itself when it comes out though. (My laptop lets me easily switch back and forth between the two languages).

I didn't know about Freeza's constant change in speech in the japanese version, I found it very interesting.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!