Why does the SSJ4 design get so much hate by fans?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

tienfan

Why does the SSJ4 design get so much hate by fans?

Post by tienfan » Thu May 21, 2015 8:14 pm

I think it looks great

tenkaichi 2/budokai 2 best p4p dragon ball z games ever made
dragon ball»dragon ball z

tien fan for life

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Why does the SSJ4 design get so much hate by fans?

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 21, 2015 8:16 pm

I'm not sure that it does.

Every fan is different and likes different things. I don't think there's a true consensus about the Super Saiyan 4 design.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: why does the ssj4 design gets so much hate by dbz fans?

Post by One_Instance » Thu May 21, 2015 8:17 pm

I'm not aware of an abundance of hate towards SSJ4. I, for one, always thought it looked really nice, it's very original and brings out the Saiyajin in their appearance a lot more than any of the other SSJ forms do. Plus, it has a tail and I love the look of adult Goku with a tail.

tienfan

Post by tienfan » Thu May 21, 2015 8:26 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I'm not sure that it does.

Every fan is different and likes different things. I don't think there's a true consensus about the Super Saiyan 4 design.
by comparing it to other super sayan designs it does get much more hate by the dbz fan base

tien fan for life

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu May 21, 2015 8:28 pm

Ssj4 gets hate!? :shock: :shock: :?

I actually never seen overwhelming hate for Ssj4

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 21, 2015 8:34 pm

To my knowledge, the SSJ4 doesn't really get a lot of hate. Hell, many fans I know see SSJ4 as the best thing to come out of GT and one of the most unique additions to the franchise lore.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Thu May 21, 2015 8:37 pm

I also don't think it gets much hate.

(although personally I do dislike the design.)

This is kind of a strange thread to be honest, because it's about opinions AND it's based on a false assumption, so what are we even supposed to discuss? I'm actually surprised it isn't getting locked.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Thu May 21, 2015 8:38 pm

Marco Polo wrote:I also don't think it gets much hate.

(although personally I do dislike the design.)

This is kind of a strange thread to be honest, because it's about opinions AND it's based on a false assumption, so what are we even supposed to discuss? I'm actually surprised it isn't getting locked.
We could always turn it into "who wore the SSJ4 furr sexier, Goku or Vegeta?" thread :thumbup:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu May 21, 2015 8:40 pm

I remember SSj4 was always 50/50 with fans. You have fans that love it while others that are just meh about it. Very few that I seen flat out hate it. To me SSj4 was super awesome when I was 10 back in 2001. I like SSj4 as a character design, not as a SSj form. It should have been it's own SSj form much like how the ssjgod forms are then just being a SSj4.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

tienfan

Post by tienfan » Thu May 21, 2015 8:40 pm

well i mean there is without a doubt a group of dedicated sjj4 haters towards this form saying it "looks like a monkey" and so on
and we dont see this for the other ssj forms,but again its problably because they hate to admit they like something from gt...

tien fan for life

Makai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Makai » Thu May 21, 2015 8:41 pm

The ssj4 design does look great, but it's just not super saiyan. It would've made more sense if that was the original ssj concept instead of blonde hair since it goes with their tails and oozaru forms, but comparing it to the other forms, it doesn't belong. But it does have a great design, but was thought of at the wrong time.
Last edited by Makai on Thu May 21, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Thu May 21, 2015 8:41 pm

If anything, it's the new forms that get all the hate, especially SSGSS for being unimaginative, simple, and whatever else people are so upset about.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu May 21, 2015 8:42 pm

SSJ4 gets hate..?! At I checked it was considered one of the best things about GT.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Thu May 21, 2015 8:46 pm

I'm one who really likes GT, but SS4 wasn't my favorite idea. I do like the concept, of like a 'mastered Ozaru' type form, separate from the regular SS forms, and being a potential unlock instead of multiplier, I just don't like the whole Kid -> Adult, or 'random appearing clothes' part of it.

tienfan

Post by tienfan » Thu May 21, 2015 8:47 pm

Makai wrote:The ssj4 design does look great, but it's just not super saiyan. It would've made more sense if that was the original ssj concept instead of blonde hair since it goes with their tails and oozaru forms, but comparing it to the other forms, it doesn't belong. But it does have a great design, but was thought of at the wrong time.
I think it looks very good,in a way it was like coming back to the origins of the sayan race

tien fan for life

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu May 21, 2015 8:49 pm

Ssj4 rescued Gokû from his child-curse and sorta-rescued Vegeta's hairstyle; I don't really see anyone giving it hate.
It's also the only transformation where they keep their original haircolor, which I think is really nice. :3
It's way more creative-looking than blueper saiyan too, I give ssj4 that.
AND ssj4 brought the tails back; I love the tails.

Re: Magic pants

I'm not bothered by this; the alternative of naked ssj4 battles isn't feasible in the timeslot GT aired.
Unless they completely covered their bits with fur, but even so that might've still been walking too thin a tightrope for them.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Thu May 21, 2015 8:59 pm

SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:I just don't like the whole Kid -> Adult, or 'random appearing clothes' part of it.
Yeah, I always thought that was really weird and kind of takes away from the transformation itself, though the design still looks good. But, I think it looks better as an adult than it would have had Goku stayed a child.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 pm

Transforming into Super Saiyan 4 doesn't return Goku to his adult body. Even if he were still an adult when he transformed, he'd still get taller the same way Vegeta does.

Anyway, I'm very fond of Super Saiyan 4. Not with that name since it obviously isn't the stage beyond Super Saiyan 3, but in terms of concept and design I love it.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:13 pm

I don't think people hate SSJ4. A lot of fans just wish its color scheme (red fur) was a little different. Either golden fur and hair so it could "fit" with the SSJ line and golden ape form it derives from. Or brown fur so it would look more like the humanoid oozaru it's supposed to.

Another thing many people seem to dislike about it is its name since it's not really a level above SSJ3, but something completely different altogether that doesn't even require a saiyan to be above SSJ. Primal Super Saiyan would suit it better.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Thu May 21, 2015 9:18 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Transforming into Super Saiyan 4 doesn't return Goku to his adult body. Even if he were still an adult when he transformed, he'd still get taller the same way Vegeta does.
Sure, but comparatively Goku gets a helluva lot taller than Vegeta does.