A Little Something About "The Lost Episodes" DVD's

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

A Little Something About "The Lost Episodes" DVD's

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:48 am

So, for no reason I really wanted to see the Japanese opening to GT cause its been a while since I seen "Dan Dan" with the opening animtion.

So I go to the extras and click for the textless opening, then I played the regular opening with text and noticed that the textless opening is in totally different quality (worse) then the textfull one, but it shows a little bit more then the textfull one...confused? ok heres a little run down...

Textless - Zoomed out but quality is a little bad
Textfull - A little more zoomed in but looks like Dragonbox quality.

If someone would like to put up screen caps cause I can't. I found this out on "The Lost Episodes [1] Reaction" DVD. There is definitly a change in quality and a little zoomed factor gong on.

Edit: Ok seems every Dragonball GT DVD has textless openings. Try it for yourself!

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:34 am

I've noticed this on other FUNi DVDs... Mainly Yu Yu Hakusho. but in YYH's case it was the opposite. The songs with Japanese text were really bad quality [as if they didnt even bother remastering them] and the textless and English ones were good quality.

The only thing I can think of is that since it's an "extra" they didn't bother fixing it up. but since the Japanese text intro was going to be viewed along with the episodes' fixed-up footage, they fixed that up instead.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:56 am

Hm. I'm going through my GT DVD collection. Seems like the quality actually varries between episodes on the DVDs. o_o;

I took screens to show as an example. I don't exactly have many Lost Episode DVDs (I only have one of them), but it would appear that the quality for the DVDs are FAR better than the rest of the series. For some reason, the quality dips on the DVDs, sometimes they get better. Though this is all just visual. The audio remains the same.

If you want anymore screens, lemme know. I've got 14 out of 20 GT DVDs. Dunno if Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z's openings differ from each episode they're played from, aside from the Ultimate Uncut Episodes compared to the rest of the Z series.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:17 am

Was the master for episode 45 left out in the sun or something? :shock:

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:06 pm

Sadly, they all look leagues better than the GT I see on YTV. They've definitly got them on VHS, syored next to magnets or something :(

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:37 pm

I didn't have anything better to do so I put them side to side, look at the sky on them on the top, they all have a different color to them.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:39 pm

GT's quality is so bad that even a friend of mine who doesn't know anything about video quality recognized how bad it was. :?

How's the quality on the GT Dragon Box?

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:55 pm

Castor Troy wrote: How's the quality on the GT Dragon Box?
Consistient, for one. And in general much better, original colours and a cleaner overall image (except Conan-brand "OH BUT FUNI OH!" remark any second now)

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Blitzen wrote:Consistient, for one. And in general much better, original colours and a cleaner overall image (except Conan-brand "OH BUT FUNI OH!" remark any second now)
Are you insinuating something?

*cough*

I guess since FUNi's given us GT 100% Uncut with Steve's subtitles and at affordable prices, some of you guys gotta be nit-pickey about something. My turn to make a stereotypical comment: "Oh look, let's be anal about the video quality! Ya' know, since it's not on par with the dragonbox. Who cares if it's still watchable and far superior to the Blue Water video, Toei's $500+ set is where it's at! Boing!"
14 years later

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:31 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote: I guess since FUNi's given us GT 100% Uncut with Steve's subtitles and at affordable prices, some of you guys gotta be nit-pickey about something. My turn to make a stereotypical comment: "Oh look, let's be anal about the video quality! Ya' know, since it's not on par with the dragonbox. Who cares if it's still watchable and far superior to the Blue Water video, Toei's $500+ set is where it's at! Boing!"
Here's ignoring that it's ass-ended, the dub is awful, the video quality isn't up to par and in general only became cheap after a while. Plus, $500+? What planet do you live on :p

(PS even with boxsets it's still $200 for something that only has 64 20 minute sections of actual original content. Compared to a lot of other mainstream cartoons and series, that's kinda pathetic)

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:28 pm

MY COUSIN HAS IT!!! :)

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:17 pm

>_> No one's really complaining about FUNimation. If anything the complaints are towards the video quality IN the DVDs. Chances are this is just how they received them and was Toei's fault.

Here's a comparison of the final bit of the first opening animation.

I did a bit of tinkering with Photoshop and if you take the screenshot from the LE DVD and lower the lightness to -20 on the Hue/Saturation setting, you'll get Dragon Box quality.

I do warn you though, the second opening animation was hit HARD.

Credit to DBNet for the Dragon Box screens. The second animation is just completely unbareable. Although I do have two things to confirm.

1) It seems the quality of the opening differs on DVDs, rather than episodes. Though with Profileration, you get a decent version of the first animation on Episode 26, and then the second animation kicks in with TERRIBLE video quality on Episode 27 through out the DVD.

2) The quality of the openings DO NOT show what the quality of the episode will be. This means that ONLY the opening's quality will differ. This is probably because FUNi uses the same video for the episodes (minus the title card and next episode title card) but different videos for the openings and endings in the respective languages.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:27 pm

Anonymous wrote:MY COUSIN HAS IT!!! :)
:shock: How the hell did he/she do that?

Anyway, FUNi's smoking something good...why the fuck is the color scheme all wacky? It's the smae way with the UUE DVDs. FUNi really loves to darken, don't they?
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:10 am

Funi's looks brighter to me....
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Tenka-Ichi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenka-Ichi » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:49 am

It's because the contrast is cranked way up (especially in that one from proliferations episode 27), so the brights look way too bright, and the darks, way too dark. They also raised the black level, and the brightness, thus making it even more dark, yet bright. And the colour in the FUNi ones is also a bit off.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:13 am

Chaos Saiyajin wrote:
Anonymous wrote:MY COUSIN HAS IT!!! :)
:shock: How the hell did he/she do that?
It was a troll, who had registered under some name or other. Whatever Mike did, he not only banned them, but got rid of the account so that their only remaining post is by "Guest".

Your guess is as good as mine how he did it, though. *shrug*
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:05 am

Tsukento wrote:>_> No one's really complaining about FUNimation. If anything the complaints are towards the video quality IN the DVDs. Chances are this is just how they received them and was Toei's fault.
Eh, negative chief. I haven't bought FUNi's discs since the Freeza saga for the most part, but I can confirm that FUNi is at fault (or whoever does their digital transfer).

Why? Simple.

Back on the Freeza discs, I remember watching the Japanese version, then flipping to the English dub to experience what I can best define as 'acid-flashback nostalgia' (that is to say, when I was dealing with the new voices it was like a drug induced nightmare). I noticed that the English and Japanese recaps were on two different angles, and the English version seemed like the contrast, color saturation, and sharpness had been pushed. The Japanese version, on the other hand, seemed less retina burning but a little dull by comparision.

Notice a pattern?

It's fair to say Toei doesn't give FUNi their A-grade masters (since they probably have been making them as they go along for the Dragon Box releases), but I don't think Toei does anything beyond that. Any inconsistency in the colors, aside from cel damage, can probably be blamed on FUNi.

Having said that, the Dragon Boxes on a properly calibrated display look gorgeous, wheras the FUNi discs seem...wrong. The only reason I say that is because I still have a couple (I traded in my collection at EBGames for a Wavebird controller, and they couldn't recognize one of the Freeza discs, plus I'm keeping the movies until next week), and I have checked them out to see what the differences are....youch.

-Corey

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:44 pm

I'm pretty much with MajinVejitaXV on this, but I'd like to add that while Dragonball does have pretty bleak video and audio, there's atleast some effort made to make it a more affordable package. 64 episodes on 20 discs is by far unnessecary, as is 90 for 291. Now if FUNimation had show a bit more though to long-term collectors from the get-go, chances are I'd be collecting their releases at the same time as the R2s. But hey, that's how it goes I guess.