Official "Dragon Box: The Movies" Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:14 pm

A greeting message from Akira Toriyama
An introduction to the movies and their times
An index
Main character synopsis
outlines and details, aswell as posters, for each movie
A quick review of most villians
Q&A
Design shots
Some other bits and pieces

Kaze no Mune
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaze no Mune » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:45 pm

Thanks for the comparisons! There is (in my opinion, which doesn't matter) little difference between the '97 and '05 releases of the DVD, but the DragonBox release looks fantastic.

I can only hope that we get a re-release over here eventually.
[b]PSN: Mune-sama[/b]

Add me for some HD Remix or SF4.

JPA82

Post by JPA82 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:02 am

Do the Dragon Box Z's contain optional English subtitles?

The reason I ask is...I just bought Dragon Ball Dragon Boxes 3 & 4 (episodes 53-104 altogether) on eBay, and they supposedly have English subtitles. I haven't recieved them yet (still waiting for GKWorld.com to ship them), but it clearly stated in the description that English/Chinese subtitles were optional. OR, did I bootlegs??

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:06 am

JPA82 wrote:Do the Dragon Box Z's contain optional English subtitles?

The reason I ask is...I just bought Dragon Ball Dragon Boxes 3 & 4 (episodes 53-104 altogether) on eBay, and they supposedly have English subtitles. I haven't recieved them yet (still waiting for GKWorld.com to ship them), but it clearly stated in the description that English/Chinese subtitles were optional. OR, did I bootlegs??
You received bootlegs. There are only two legit "series" releases in Asia as far as I know, one is the Dragonbox release (two 26 for Z, one 26 for Dragonball, one 11 for GT and one eight for movies), and the R3HK one (11 for Z, 4 so far for DB). The second one I mentioned has Chinese subs and a chinese dub, but the episode breakup is different.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:06 am

JPA82 wrote:Do the Dragon Box Z's contain optional English subtitles?

Bootleg. Firstly, the Dragonboxes don't separate the episodes like that, secondly, there are NO subtitles, only a Japanese language track (so no Chinese either). The Chinese is a dead give away. If you ever see a DVD that says 'region free' or 'region 0' it's bootleg.

Sorry buddy.

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:07 am

desirecampbell wrote:If you ever see a DVD that says 'region free' or 'region 0' it's bootleg.
If it's Dragonball, that is.

JPA82

Post by JPA82 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:11 am

desirecampbell wrote:Bootleg. Firstly, the Dragonboxes don't separate the episodes like that, secondly, there are NO subtitles, only a Japanese language track (so no Chinese either). The Chinese is a dead give away. If you ever see a DVD that says 'region free' or 'region 0' it's bootleg.

Sorry buddy.
I knew it. Oh well. Here's hoping they're at least worth the money I spent on them. Thanks for the confirmation. :)

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:46 am

By the by, GKWorld is a KNOWN bootlegging website, and most of their DragonBall inventory IS bootleg, hell they've even got some fake products too.

JPA82

Post by JPA82 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:10 am

lost in thought wrote:By the by, GKWorld is a KNOWN bootlegging website, and most of their DragonBall inventory IS bootleg, hell they've even got some fake products too.
Yeah, now I know. Why do I always have to learn the hard way? I finally find a "Dragon Box" for cheap, and it turns out to be fake. :?

BTW, here is one of those "Dragon Boxes" I just bought from them. I'm guessing the real ones have different, hopefully better, cover art?

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:24 am

Actually, from what I've seen, not really. Lol. Further, they were never released in "parts", they were one $800.00 bundle.
That's actually a waste, considering you could have purchased the Funimation DVDs, and had probably the same quality, with GOOD subtitles, and a better investment all around, for around or the same price.

That's what I did, when I missed out on the DragonBall DragonBox. Although, I still am sad that I missed it, because I love the original so much, and would have loved to have had it; but I am just as happy with the movie box as I ever could have been with that one, and I am not greedy, so as a result I am content.

JPA82

Post by JPA82 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:32 am

You say you're sad that you missed it. So....are you saying that the Dragon Ball Dragon Boxes are already out of production or something? Or that you just didn't have the money at the time?

jnj13

Post by jnj13 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:47 am

Yes, they are out of production. They aren't too hard to find on Japanese auction sites (like Yahoo Japan Auctions), though.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:53 am

JPA82 wrote:You say you're sad that you missed it. So....are you saying that the Dragon Ball Dragon Boxes are already out of production or something? Or that you just didn't have the money at the time?
Yes, they [like the movie box, and every other DragonBox] were a limited time, pre-order only deal [Although some stores had it afterwards, for ordering a small supply of extras for straggelers, but those have been out of stock for god knows how long]. You got it then, or you lost out.

It has been out of production for a good long time already.

Further, fair warning: Your avatar exceeds the max width [80x80 max size]. Don't take this the wrong way, I am just alerting you, since there's a rule about it, and I doubt you'd very much like Mike's/VegettoEX's little "Follow the rules that you agreed to when signing up" speech very much.
(Yeah, trying to save your soul here. 8))

JPA82

Post by JPA82 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:36 am

lost in thought wrote:Further, fair warning: Your avatar exceeds the max width [80x80 max size]. Don't take this the wrong way, I am just alerting you, since there's a rule about it, and I doubt you'd very much like Mike's/VegettoEX's little "Follow the rules that you agreed to when signing up" speech very much.
(Yeah, trying to save your soul here. 8))
Oh, right on man. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Lastly, I'd just like to say that Iam now happy that I bought this DVD set. I'm sure everyone knows by now how superior in quality these Dragon Boxes are to the FUNimation releases. If this turns out to be what I'm hoping for, then I will for sure get vol. 1,2,5 & 6.

jnj13

Post by jnj13 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:48 am

JPA82 wrote: Oh, right on man. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Lastly, I'd just like to say that Iam now happy that I bought this DVD set. I'm sure everyone knows by now how superior in quality these Dragon Boxes are to the FUNimation releases. If this turns out to be what I'm hoping for, then I will for sure get vol. 1,2,5 & 6.
I wouldn't count on the quality/content being the same as the official Dragonboxes (remember, they ARE bootlegs).

And as for subtitles... remember that the people who subtitle these probably have a minimal knowledge of English. The Funimation subtitles, on the other hand, are good.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:13 am

JPA82 wrote:Oh, right on man. Thanks for the heads up. :)

You're welcome, and I hate to be a nag, but...

Second fair warning: We should end this discussion where it is, because Daizenshuu EX has a strict policy about bootleg selling, and purchasing, and further discussion of it, or explanations of purchase plans, could lead you to being banned, and I am sure you don't want that. [It's understood the nature of this release, but it, like everything else, still falls under the rule.]

So yeah, trying to keep you from being banned, prematurely. 8)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:03 am

lost in thought wrote:Second fair warning: We should end this discussion where it is, because Daizenshuu EX has a strict policy about bootleg selling, and purchasing, and further discussion of it, or explanations of purchase plans, could lead you to being banned, and I am sure you don't want that. [It's understood the nature of this release, but it, like everything else, still falls under the rule.]
Damn straight.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

kamil88
Banned

Post by kamil88 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:25 am

Very impressive.However there are many reasons then i cant buy it:
1.Horrible high price,but if it have engish subtitles then the price would be not That high
2.I'm from Poland,so it is impossible to buy it
Are they many diffrent between DragonBoxes relase and Funimation relase?and it is hope that they relase Dragonbox Movies with english subtitles?

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:13 am

kamil88 wrote: Are they many diffrent between DragonBoxes relase and Funimation relase?and it is hope that they relase Dragonbox Movies with english subtitles?
1. FUNimation's release is one movie per disc. The Movies Dragonbox comes in Dragonbox packaging, and has all movies on eight discs.
2. The FUNimation movies are in 4:3, whereas the Japanese movies are 16:9. Now this normally would mean the Japanese release would have more picture, but due to how these movies were produced (4:3, but matted to 16:9 with a theatrical screening in mind so nothing important was cut), the Japanese release has less picture. However, the Japanese print is MUCH cleaner, vibrant, has a better encode and has nicer Japanese audio.
3. Dragonbox contains no English subs or an English dub.

The chances of having Dragonbox video with English subtitles are very, very slim. Even if by a miracle FUNimation got the rights to these masters, they would not look as good as they are on the Dragonbox, because FUNimation aren't very good at space conservation or even using the space that they have very efficiently.

Subsequently, neither Toei nor Pony Canyon will ever put out an English subtitled version of these sets. There's no need to really, as they are basically only catering to the Japanese market.

If you want near Dragonbox quality movies, hope that the folk who are doing the region 3 release of the TV series will put something out. Might happen!

kamil88
Banned

Post by kamil88 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:25 am

All right but one Main question
1.Does the item worth the price?
2.If there are Bardock Special and History of Trunks?