Goku's attitude in "Dragon Ball Super"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ddd
Beyond Newbie

Goku's attitude in "Dragon Ball Super"

Post by Ddd » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:44 am

Am I the only one who's bothered by goku, and his more childish than usual attitude?.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Re: Goku attitude in dbs

Post by Vijay » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:45 am

He has now become TOEI's brainchild

I sure do miss the time when Son Goku was still Akira Toriyama's creation: likable & funny

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:52 am

I recognize there's something off about Gokû in Super, but I like Super's extra-sweet Gokû, so I can't complain.

If I had to look for an in universe explanation for Gokû's current personality I point to the potata fusion defusing improperly inside Buu when it was never meant to defuse at all. Potara-fusing with Vegeta messed Gokû up and he's regressing because he's having difficulty coping with not feeling quite himself since defusing.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:01 am

Maybe it is just the actress making Goku more energetic
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Marjo

Post by Marjo » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:56 am

Captain Strawberry wrote:Maybe it is just the actress making Goku more energetic
Poor old hag :lol:
Vegito

Veg from Vegeta + I from Bejita & O from Goku

just that simple weeaboos.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:04 am

It's a shame he's written like his early child self and not the developed Mature Goku we got in Z cause other then him being a great character in Z, he was one of the best examples of how to develop a character without changing who they are.

Sure Goku in Z was a fun character but he wasn't the brain dead idiot we're seeing in Super, when the situation called for him to get serious he did unlike now where he acts like a stupid kid 24/7.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:19 am

Marjo wrote:
Captain Strawberry wrote:Maybe it is just the actress making Goku more energetic
Can you please tell what you mean by this?

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:42 am

Chuquita theory might be true (Even in manga, both Goku and Vegeta act differently, after defusing) But..Toei Goku often act very childish (Fear of needles, sticking tongue at Vegeta inside Buu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkSeYUTLi9o ) and Super make characters act like their Toei selves (I'm looking at you, ChiChi)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:04 am

@Coola

Sticking your tongue out & fearing needles are perfectly within the context of Goku's character. It could have been exxagerated for comedic purposes, but otherwise they fall in-line with Goku's big-kid impression

Now, lets not even talk abt GT Goku where everything he does is perfectly "out-of-character" to the point TOEI turned him into an alltogether different character.

Compared to that abomination, Super's Goku is relatively tame tbh

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:11 am

As much as a mixed bag as Super is for me, Goku doesn't really seem out of character to me. He's still a goofy man child who loves eating and fighting, just like he always is.

Chi-Chi on the other hand...

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:40 am

Marjo wrote:
I understand you're joking but could you be a bit more respectful :D

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:09 am

WittyUsername wrote:As much as a mixed bag as Super is for me, Goku doesn't really seem out of character to me. He's still a goofy man child who loves eating and fighting, just like he always is.

Chi-Chi on the other hand...
She sadly act exactly like in Z, annoyingly over the top soccer mom.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:14 am

In my opinion Goku's acting the same, he never changed since he was a kid. Except Goku gets serious in serious situations, something scarce in Super. But during peaceful times, he always acts this way.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:55 am

Yeah, they're really overdoing the manchild side to Goku's character. One episode even had him almost piss on the floor of Whis' planet the moment he got there when in a comical scene Goku as a kid asked Kami if he can use his bathroom when he really had to go. How the fuck can Goku as a kid over time know about proper bathroom conduct but Goku in Super doesn't?

It was just so... embarrassing watching my childhood hero jumping up and down like a child because he had to piss when he's over 30 years old(?). :problem:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:41 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
It was just so... embarrassing watching my childhood hero jumping up and down like a child because he had to piss when he's over 30 years old(?). :problem:
Another embarrassing thing was him screaming at Krillin when he asked him to punch him.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:17 pm

coola wrote:Chuquita theory might be true (Even in manga, both Goku and Vegeta act differently, after defusing) But..Toei Goku often act very childish (Fear of needles, sticking tongue at Vegeta inside Buu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkSeYUTLi9o ) and Super make characters act like their Toei selves (I'm looking at you, ChiChi)
Does movie Goku count as Toei Goku? Because movie Goku doesn't act that way.
And in Super everyone's attitude is less serious than in Z

Ash57
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash57 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:20 pm

Goku is just UGH in Super. He don't cares about his family, only about a good fight.
"No matter how many times you spend on these forums. No matter how arrogant you are, you'll eventually lose a debate. So stop and admit that you're not omniscient"

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:22 pm

Ash57 wrote:Goku is just UGH in Super. He don't cares about his family, only about a good fight.
That is Goku through the whole series.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:00 pm

Avenged wrote:
Ash57 wrote:Goku is just UGH in Super. He don't cares about his family, only about a good fight.
That is Goku through the whole series.
Thank God someone pointed this out. It seems that people forget that Goku's whole personality is about fighting. That's pretty much what he mostly cares about. His attitude in Super is probably the best I've seen him adapted from the manga considering the Toei made him a little OOC sometims in Z. Goku in Super is being how Goku is supposed to be.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:08 pm

Goku in Super is not how Goku is supposed to be. He's more reminiscent to his Abridged self in this series.

It's almost like I'm reading the following: "Goku was OOC throughout DBZ. Super portrays the REAL Goku, as he was in early DB"
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super