No more word filter!

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

No more word filter!

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:44 pm

Honestly it's a little sad because I discovered this site form it. Anyway, it is gonna be interesting to see who spells what as what. Anyway how did you guys feel about the word filter being gone ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: No more word filter!

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:19 am

I just checked and misspellings of tankobon and Kanzenshuu still get filtered. So, to clarify, the word filter isn't gone, but it appears they did remove the character names (or most of them, I'm not sure how many were filtered in the first place). Honestly though, it makes me sad. I liked not having to deal with certain name changes or spellings while I was here.

Oh well though, not like I have a say in the matter. xD
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:21 am

Tien Tien Tien!!!!

Yep its gone.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:14 am

Well let's check out an old one:
Hercule.

Huh, just the other day I saw DBZaOT's... tribute to Budokai and there the word filter changed Hercule to The H-word, I guess it really is gone.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:46 am

I didn't even notice it was gone. Huh, neat!

Honestly, I realize I might be in the minority here, but I not only appreciate it, I think it's a good thing for discussion purposes. Having to go out of the way to say 'Fr-i-eza', or 'T-i-en' or 'Her-cule' when trying to use those particular names was always a tiny bit annoying, and it made the posts automatically look a little more cluttered IMO (not that I don't use non-words extending like that all the time anyway though). And while I'm sure the original intent was just to have it be all the more authentic an experience here, there's enough dub fans/former dubs fans here now that it really only makes sense to allow the name to be used as is, and if any confusion pops up, it's easy enough for the person or any other dub fan to clarify what character they're talking about.

It makes things easier from my own personal POV too, since usually I use the dub names around here if I'm specifically talking about how the character was in the old dub, or an older actor's performance. For example, if I were to be talking about Young versus Ayres, I'd likely use Frieza when talking about the former and Freeza when talking about the latter. It just makes things simpler to me.

But yeah, I seem to recall it being said at one point in time that phasing out the word filter on names was the plan eventually anyway, so I'm glad to see it finally happen. :thumbup:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:42 am

Aww, it's gone? Color me disappointed. I mean, I suppose the equitable part of me feels it's only fair, but it sure was nice getting to mostly pretend such stuff didn't exist.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:10 pm

It's gone?
What about... Turles?

Oh wow. I wonder why they removed it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:15 pm

I miss it already. Personally, if I wanted incorrect names I'd go to the Wiki.

Oh well. Not my site.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:31 pm

How many of you are triggered seeing "Tien" now?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:37 pm

precita wrote:How many of you are triggered seeing "Tien" now?
Won't mind it for now but later on ....... bleh.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:15 pm

Oh, yes. Very, very, very triggered on that one today. There certainly seems to be more Tenshinhan-related topics today than normal, at any rate. :P
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:31 pm

Finally, the Kanzenshuu, the way it was meant to be read, uncut and unedited!

There's all that extra footage on the sides and nothing is being lost!

(I feel like I'm missing another dumb joke to make here and I am apologize for that).
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:50 pm

Finally, I can see which infidels use the names "Pikkon", "Fasha", etc. Gokou? Hell yes.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:56 pm

Some of you guys' triggered responses are just making me want to start using as many dub terms as possible just because I can. :P

I actually completely forgot about the Turles/Tullece one, which was probably because...I actually could NEVER remember to type Tullece anyway and was always using Turles. Exactly what all names/terms (if any) were in the filter anyway? I know there was Frieza/Freeza, Tien/Tenshinhan, Hercule/Mr. Satan, and Turles/Tullece, but were there any others?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:42 am

It fucking sucks, what else is there to say?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:02 am

Pokewhiz7 wrote:Finally, I can see which infidels use the names "Pikkon", "Fasha", etc.
That's really funny you chose those two because those are the only dub names I use :lol:
Kuririn Fan wrote:It fucking sucks, what else is there to say?

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:41 am

Now everyone will realize I've been spelling it "Gokou" the whole time.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:29 pm

How long has it been gone? I was just trying to get around Hercule in another thread recently. :crazy: :crazy: :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:51 am

This thread just reminded me of something that I've long wondered before: why the hell exactly has Hercule as a name stuck for so long among dub fans anyway? Hasn't EVERY uncut home video version of the dub just gone with Mr. Satan? Hercule as a dub name would really only qualify for actual TV airings, wouldn't it? And maybe I'm just ignorant on this cause I've never really been much of a TV watcher, but Dragon Ball Z hasn't really been much of a presence on TV since what, the mid-ish 2000s or so? Kai notwithstanding obviously.

I just figured with all the years and years and years of downtime between TV airings and tons of dub fans living off of their (presumably uncut) home video releases, that after awhile Mr. Satan might've stuck more and overwritten Hercule in the minds of most within dub circles.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:10 am

^I myself pretty much just use Mr. Satan, since that's what the dub calls him most of the time. However, the name Hercule is also used even in the uncut dub, as his first name. That being said, they usually use "Mr. Satan" or "Mr. Hercule Satan", only rarely is "Hercule" used by itself.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."