Toyotaro wins against Toei when it comes to Future Trunks' SSj2

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.
User avatar
Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1534
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:45 am

Toyotaro wins against Toei when it comes to Future Trunks' SSj2

Post by Saturnine » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:48 pm

Toei not only made Trunks' SSj hair different than established after he got to FPSSj, but also went full retard in making his hair way too long for Grade 3. His SSj2 hair looks like shit in the anime too, at least they had the courtesy to add sparks.

Toyotaro on the other hand, handled this perfectly. Not only is Future Trunks' SSj hair just the way it was in the original manga after the Cell Games, he also came up with something to differentiate SSj2 from SSj for Trunks - his SSj2 form lacks the two thin bangs of hair that Trunks normally has.

Apart from the rather stupid weakness he gave to SSj Blue, Toyotaro's take on things really does seem to beat out the anime's most of the time.

User avatar
Sonicjamareiz
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:01 pm
Location: In your mom ;)

Re: Toyotaro wins against Toei when it comes to Future Trunks' SSj2

Post by Sonicjamareiz » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:31 am

Did this absolutely need to be a whole thread. [spoiler]viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30467&start=8040[/spoiler]
Btw theres probably no Toriyama art sheet on how ssj2 Trunks would look like. It all comes down to experience Toyotaro has drawn fan mangas mimicing Toriyama's style while the animators at Toei are mostly new.
Last edited by Sonicjamareiz on Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Purple Cum Monster Vegeta arc :sick:

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7865
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: Toyotaro wins against Toei when it comes to Future Trunks' SSj2

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:44 am

Sonicjamareiz wrote:Did this absolutely need to be a whole thread. [spoiler]http://www.kanzenshuu.com/fourum/viewto ... start=8040[/spoiler]
Btw theres probably no Toriyama art sheet on how ssj2 Trunks would look like. It all comes down to experience Toyotaro has drawn fan mangas mimicing Toriyama's style while the animators at toei are mostly new.
Toei was messing up how Super Saiyan 2 looks even back in the day when they had Toriyama's manga to work off of. The best example I can think of is when Vegeta powers up to fight Kid Boo, if you didn't read the manga, good luck figuring out if he's Super Saiyan 1 or 2 just by looking at Z.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

User avatar
Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here
Posts: 2520
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:31 pm
Location: Argentina
Contact:

Re: Toyotaro wins against Toei when it comes to Future Trunks' SSj2

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:58 am

ekrolo2 wrote: Toei was messing up how Super Saiyan 2 looks even back in the day when they had Toriyama's manga to work off of. The best example I can think of is when Vegeta powers up to fight Kid Boo, if you didn't read the manga, good luck figuring out if he's Super Saiyan 1 or 2 just by looking at Z.
Outside of having lighting sparks the hair looks exactly the same.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 21434
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: Toyotaro wins against Toei when it comes to Future Trunks' SSj2

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:39 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: Toei was messing up how Super Saiyan 2 looks even back in the day when they had Toriyama's manga to work off of. The best example I can think of is when Vegeta powers up to fight Kid Boo, if you didn't read the manga, good luck figuring out if he's Super Saiyan 1 or 2 just by looking at Z.
Outside of having lighting sparks the hair looks exactly the same.
I don't think I've ever seen a moment in the anime where SSJ2 Gohan looked like this:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
or this:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7865
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: Toyotaro wins against Toei when it comes to Future Trunks' SSj2

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:44 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: Toei was messing up how Super Saiyan 2 looks even back in the day when they had Toriyama's manga to work off of. The best example I can think of is when Vegeta powers up to fight Kid Boo, if you didn't read the manga, good luck figuring out if he's Super Saiyan 1 or 2 just by looking at Z.
Outside of having lighting sparks the hair looks exactly the same.
I don't think I've ever seen a moment in the anime where SSJ2 Gohan looked like this:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
or this:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I think they even messed Gohans lightning up as early as that too. I distinctly remember a lack of lightning in the part where Cell realizes he's afraid of him and Gohans staring him down.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 21434
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: Toyotaro wins against Toei when it comes to Future Trunks' SSj2

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:22 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Outside of having lighting sparks the hair looks exactly the same.
I don't think I've ever seen a moment in the anime where SSJ2 Gohan looked like this:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
or this:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I think they even messed Gohans lightning up as early as that too. I distinctly remember a lack of lightning in the part where Cell realizes he's afraid of him and Gohans staring him down.
Ironically, despite everyone's varying opinions on Super's animation, the lighting aura for SSJ2's is something that they got perfectly right. I always much preferred the suspended thick lighting bolts as supposed the crackling static electricity that was in the original Z anime and movies.

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7865
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: Toyotaro wins against Toei when it comes to Future Trunks' SSj2

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:30 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Ironically, despite everyone's varying opinions on Super's animation, the lighting aura for SSJ2's is something that they got perfectly right. I always much preferred the suspended thick lighting bolts as supposed the crackling static electricity that was in the original Z anime and movies.
Personally I'll take any lightning they can animate so long as I can tell what Trunks' main form is supposed to be ;)

When he first used SS2 his hair looks exactly the same which struck me as bizarre since they purposefully changed his hair to resemble his original SS hairdo so its not like they didn't make it possible to create a bigger visual difference.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Post Reply