Re-doing DB and DBZ in digital possible?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

uchiha_boy

Re-doing DB and DBZ in digital possible?

Post by uchiha_boy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:47 am

Hi everyone

I was just wondering, is it for possible for Toei to redo the DB and DBZ series with "digital animation" (like with current animes such as Naruto, Bleach etc)? I'm not saying make an entire new series, I mean "exact" same series but with digital animation, similar to the openings of DBZ Budokai 2 and 3, because I think DBZ looks really nice that way. Plus since they already have the voices done from the previous anime, they can just insert those into the digital version.

I doubt they will do it and I don't expect them to. But who knows it may happen, because it would be really nice to see the series again with the technology that is used in current animes.

So my question is, is it possible to do such a thing?

Thanks guys
"Was forever on your mind too, the first time we saw eye to eye?"

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:00 am

It'd be possible - but rather unlikely. It'd take a lot of time any money for something they're already making a fortune on. If they're ever to do it, they'd wait until the current footage isn't making them money.

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:20 am

Well, we already saw them do something similar with Path to Power (not sure if it's considered digital, but it was new animation regardless). What I'd like to see is them continue doing that with the rest of DB and DBZ.

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:30 am

Maybe if the hype continues for another 10 years then there is a slight chance. But DBZ will have to reinvent itself in someway. Toriyama sensei hasn't done bad for not really touching it again for such a long time.
http://dbz-man.deviantart.com/

Son Gohan

Post by Son Gohan » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:47 am

The only possible thing they'll do is another OVA/Feature/Special/Movie in new digital animation, not sure about the episodes, they sorta done that with the Dragon Boxes, The Animation was Cleared and Remastered, there's not much else they can do with the episodes.

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:45 pm

That is weird. I was honestly just thinking about that about that about two hours ago. I was hoping that the series could be redone in the DragonBall Anniversary Movie: Path to Power (I'm not sure of the name of the real title.)
animation. That was really, really great. They could start off with DragonBall and end with Z and accidently loose the GT footage, heh heh.
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:53 pm

It would suck in my opinion because DB and DBZ would lose their "Classic" feel. The opening for DBZ sagas made me cringe. :x

A new movie/ova would be more likely.

Panda
Beyond Newbie

Post by Panda » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:13 pm

I don't think they would ever remake all 50000000000000 episodes in nice animation. I mean... that'd be lame as hell for one and expensive as hell for two...

What is sloghtly more probable is a movie/special with newer animation. I'd personaly like to see one in 2024 or that whereabouts... maybe a redo of an important DBZ arc. 9Since the other one was about the beginning of Dragonball)
Just remember, everytime something bad is happening to you. Something even worse is happening to someone else.

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:00 pm

You do realise that Nozowa-san will be 88 by that time. >.>;; If they ever want to make a fresh piece of Dragonball, now is the time, especially concidering they recently lost another important seiyuu.
Ooooor they could digitally make new lines of dialogue remixed from the incredibly library of Son Goku sounds that must've built up over the course of DB, DBZ and the games... and then the otaku can feel smart for recognising where every bit originally came from...

Panda
Beyond Newbie

Post by Panda » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:01 pm

Pedro The Hutt wrote:You do realise that Nozowa-san will be 88 by that time. >.>;; If they ever want to make a fresh piece of Dragonball, now is the time, especially concidering they recently lost another important seiyuu.
Ooooor they could digitally make new lines of dialogue remixed from the incredibly library of Son Goku sounds that must've built up over the course of DB, DBZ and the games... and then the otaku can feel smart for recognising where every bit originally came from...

I was gonna point that put to.

And if Ms. Nozawa did pass away anytime soon then it cwouldn't hurt to have a new Goku. In my opinion it would be a great honor to see jus show far Dragonball has come over the past 20 some-odd years. Hell, they could even hold a huge contest for it and everything (it sounds like an awesome excuse to make new material)
Just remember, everytime something bad is happening to you. Something even worse is happening to someone else.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:12 pm

is it for possible for Toei to redo the DB and DBZ series with "digital animation"
Yes. Will they do it? Eh, maybe. Honestly I think they will. They've done it before with "Path To Power", maybe they will make a DBZ re-telling with new animation.

Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:09 pm

Even if Masako Nozawa dies, they can still do a DBZ remake. I'll just fly over to Japan and show the voice studio my Masako Nozawa impression. Yep, me, a 6 foot tall 14 year old with tons of facial hair and a deep voice, can do a perfect Masako Nozawa impersenation.

Panda
Beyond Newbie

Post by Panda » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:03 pm

If they did make new material I wonder if they'd alter any character designs like they did on Dr. Slump. a lot of the character designs were changed for the re-release in '97.

-Senbei
-Akane
-That one teacher
-that one punk kid...

It's be interesting. Maybe make new battle gi's and shit.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:47 pm

I could see a Path To Power-esque retelling of some of DBZ, but maybe not an entire series. Not for a long time, anyway.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:38 am

I may sound old-fashioned for saying this, but why is there this insistant on "digitaly remaking" everything nowadays? It's like saying that hands-drawn animation can't be appreciated for what it is, and that everything must look ultra-clean and shiney. I find the ultra-clean/shiney look to be too... sterile and lacking in personality. Hands-drawn stuffs of 10, 20 years ago seems to have a bit more character to them.

Plus a new "digial" series would undoubtly make use of computer "aided" animation that make motions that looks cheap and fake, which is something that I really dislike about modern-day animation. Everything in hands-drawn animation tends to look "natural" and without any odd flash animation-ish motions.

Of course, I say this knowing that a "digial remake" may very well occur someday... :P

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:23 am

Domon wrote:I may sound old-fashioned for saying this, but why is there this insistant on "digitaly remaking" everything nowadays? It's like saying that hands-drawn animation can't be appreciated for what it is, and that everything must look ultra-clean and shiney. I find the ultra-clean/shiney look to be too... sterile and lacking in personality. Hands-drawn stuffs of 10, 20 years ago seems to have a bit more character to them.

Plus a new "digial" series would undoubtly make use of computer "aided" animation that make motions that looks cheap and fake, which is something that I really dislike about modern-day animation. Everything in hands-drawn animation tends to look "natural" and without any odd flash animation-ish motions.

Of course, I say this knowing that a "digial remake" may very well occur someday... :P
That's true what you said. I honestly prefer much of the older art of the Dragonball anime. The newer style introduced in GT (especially with the huge highlights on the characters' skin) is waaaay too shiny... the characters end up looking like grease balls. D: I think they might've toned it down a bit with later animations, and I have to admit the character designs in the newer stuff looks better at times (like with the Dragonball 10th anniversary special), but the older animation work looked just fine without the polished effect. It just felt more natural. :?

And... good God, I dread the day they take to using flash animation techniques for future Dragonball projects. I can't imagine the horror I'd feel if they used PowerPoint-style effects and tweening for their animation. I frankly see enough of that kind of crap animation already. DDDD:

If they're going to go all-out on computer animation for Dragonball in the future, I'd much prefer it if they took the time to make the quality the best as possible. You know, if they animated everything so that it looked as professional as Advent Children or The Lord of the Rings. That's my hope, anyway. :|
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:28 am

We're coming up for some kind of anniversary, and even then that's not always nesssecary. Things that were old are new again (think Fist of the North Star, Zeta Gundam, and Evangelion), seriessesesesesesse of several movies retelling alternate and parralel/different angle versions of classic stories. Even Fist of the North Star retains none of the original voice actors, regardless of how iconic they were (Akira Kamiya as Kenshiro, which was pretty legendary, isn't happening in the new movies/video animations), so I wouldn't expect DBZ, should it be remade into a series of films, to nessecerally keep Nozawa. While it's a cult classic and a household name, Nozawa isn't. Goku's voice is, on the other hand, so they'll probably get someone similar to do it, though probably younger and better known for the sake of promotion and advertisement.

Digital Animation in itself is not a problem. It's just that instead of innovating and improving Anime as a whole, it's being used to create even more budget cuts and workarounds for a lot of things. As a result, this means you end up with the same or more shows, however at a generally worse quality. Movies on the other hand have higher budgets, especially something like this, and designs would, of course, be retained.

While Advent Children had some really nice designs and detail, you've got to remember that the actual quality of the animation iiiiisn't that good. They do use a lot of conventions, such as crazy camera angles and movements, big swirly swirls to cover things up, still shots etc, but if you look close enough, a lot of characters move like rubber. Kingdom Hearts II, the FMV opening done by basically the exact same team, has this problem (the biggest offender would have to be the cut betweens with Riku and Sora fighting people at the same time). Just a bit of off-topicy stuff.
I may sound old-fashioned for saying this, but why is there this insistant on "digitaly remaking" everything nowadays? It's like saying that hands-drawn animation can't be appreciated for what it is, and that everything must look ultra-clean and shiney. I find the ultra-clean/shiney look to be too... sterile and lacking in personality. Hands-drawn stuffs of 10, 20 years ago seems to have a bit more character to them.
Because remakes and what not reintroduce people into the franchise while allowing newer fans and what not to be involved. Of course, your more hardcore fandoms will have groups that are sorely against new things, but you can't always pander to them, especially when your property moves beyond it. You just have to go "go and live 20 years ago, we're growing up".
A misconception. As I said, cheap CG looks awful, but so does cheap handdrawn. People are also confusing actual CG animation with CG colouring. People still do animation via hand, they just dont use the Cel process anymore. Higher-end animation like Disney havent used cels in about 15, 16 years or so, but they still draw (when the project is worthwhile, I guess).
And if Ms. Nozawa did pass away anytime soon then it cwouldn't hurt to have a new Goku. In my opinion it would be a great honor to see jus show far Dragonball has come over the past 20 some-odd years. Hell, they could even hold a huge contest for it and everything (it sounds like an awesome excuse to make new material)
She doesn't need to be dead, she just has to sound too old for the role, or not be interested.

Also a contest would be a shit-bad idea. Though I'm wondering when someone is going to make a reality TV show where they make a movie, and all of the main cast are actually played by contestants blah blah mobile phones.

I hate you all.

Maker777
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Maker777 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:34 am

If they were to 'digitalize' it, I would like to see just a movie or two 'digitalized'.
[b]Mr.Pedestrian[/b]
[url=http://www.users.on.net/~mateen/][b]Shnay Krew[/b][/url]
[url=http://mrpedestrian.deviantart.com/][b]DeviArt[/b][/url] || [url=http://www.myspace.com/_1_a][b]MySpace[/b][/url]

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:40 pm

They can digitalize DBZ and DB over my dead body. I think that the original Japanese animation look, as well as the great soundtrack is what makes them great. You remove that and you have killed a great series. Then there is the fact that the animators at Toei animation have worked hard with Toriyama to make the anime. Yes, even the infamous 'triangle guy' and every other shoddily done drawing. Even in light of the sometimes bad animation, I would choose the original over a digitized version. Like I said before...they can digitize it over my dead body.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:41 pm

Well I doubt new style animation will exactly 'kill' Dragonball. It would be nice to have a fresh look. We already have over 300 episodes of 'old school style'. Bring on that change I say!
http://dbz-man.deviantart.com/