Differences Between the Subtitle Translations

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

roseofpain

Differences Between the Subtitle Translations

Post by roseofpain » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:19 pm

Out of curiosity, I wanted to see the differences between the Japanese-to-English subtitle translations from the fansub groups and the official releases.

FANSUB GROUPS

Original Dialogue: 何者だ? 貴 様 この俺 様に用でもあるのか? (Nanimonoda? Kisama kono oresama ni yōde mo aru no ka?)

a-S (Anime-Supreme)

DBNL

AHQ

iKaos

Unfortunately, I don't own any of the official DVD or Blu-ray releases. If anyone has any of them please feel free to post comparisons between them.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Differences Between the Subtitle Translations

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:10 pm

this seems like an ambitious project although a little bit out of the blue, but I wish you the best of success

In mexico he says:
who the hell are you, what do you want from me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAB2WCh1ndA

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:07 pm

If i remember correctly, most fanrips in early 00's used subs from bootleg releases, such as Blue Dragon Boxes https://www.daizex.com/guides/dvd_guide ... dbz_01.gif
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

ikaos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ikaos » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:44 pm

roseofpain wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:19 pm Out of curiosity, I wanted to see the differences between the Japanese-to-English subtitle translations from the fansub groups and the official releases.

FANSUB GROUPS

Original Dialogue: 何者だ? 貴 様 この俺 様に用でもあるのか? (Nanimonoda? Kisama kono oresama ni yōde mo aru no ka?)

a-S (Anime-Supreme)
DBNL
AHQ
iKaos
Unfortunately, I don't own any of the official DVD or Blu-ray releases. If anyone has any of them please feel free to post comparisons between them.
iirc correctly AHQ is the oldest one, so it's probably based on fansubs. The others all use the Simmons translation from the official releases.

*EDIT* Here's one of the Pearl fansubs for this episode:

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:17 pm

ikaos wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:44 pm
roseofpain wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:19 pm Out of curiosity, I wanted to see the differences between the Japanese-to-English subtitle translations from the fansub groups and the official releases.

FANSUB GROUPS

a-S (Anime-Supreme)
DBNL
AHQ
iKaos
iirc correctly AHQ is the oldest one, so it's probably based on fansubs. The others all use the Simmons translation from the official releases.

*EDIT* Here's one of the Pearl fansubs for this episode:
So that's where Viz got idea to make Piccolo speak in old fashioned way? :D viewtopic.php?t=17442
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:14 pm

Three of the four are just the Simmons subtitles.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:56 pm

coola wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:17 pm So that's where Viz got idea to make Piccolo speak in old fashioned way? :D viewtopic.php?t=17442
"The respectable me" is a pretty straight forward translation of "ore-sama". It's more haughty than old-fashioned.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:53 pm

Just ran the original dialogue through the most accurate translator I know of (DeepL, Google it) and got this result
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:48 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:53 pm Just ran the original dialogue through the most accurate translator I know of (DeepL, Google it) and got this result
Considering that's not very correct, it's probably a good indicator of how "accurate" these things are.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

dultimate02

Post by dultimate02 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:44 pm

Yeah that’s the thing with translations. There’s always a couple different ways to translate something from one language to another. I feel like most of these differences are negligible at best. We can never pick up EXACTLY what’s being said cause there’s so many variables when it comes to languages, though I feel as long as we understand what the Japanese dialogue is essentially saying, and nothing’s being given a different meaning or a different level of importance than the original Japanese, it’s good enough. I wouldn’t think too too much. Especially cause Steve Simmons is a pretty respected translator. Only real way to understand the true and ultimate intent of any line is by learning Japanese to be honest.
aka Hile2002

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:07 am

dultimate02 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:44 pm Yeah that’s the thing with translations. There’s always a couple different ways to translate something from one language to another. I feel like most of these differences are negligible at best. We can never pick up EXACTLY what’s being said cause there’s so many variables when it comes to languages, though I feel as long as we understand what the Japanese dialogue is essentially saying, and nothing’s being given a different meaning or a different level of importance than the original Japanese, it’s good enough. I wouldn’t think too too much. Especially cause Steve Simmons is a pretty respected translator. Only real way to understand the true and ultimate intent of any line is by learning Japanese to be honest.
It seems like the full meaning would approximate to something like "What does a lousy bastard like you want with my highness?" If you were being super literal.

I know very little about Japanese, I just see the "kisama" and "ore-sama" and figure he's addressing Raditz harshly while speaking highly of himself. But for a natural sounding adaptation you can convey all that with tone and word choice. Maybe something like "Who are you? What the hell do you want from me?"
Cold World (Fanfic)

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:32 am

"Kono ore-sama ni you de mo aru no ka?" means "And do you want something with me?", not "WHAT do you want?". It's a yes/no question, which Radits answers no to to. Beyond that it's just a matter of delivery, really.

In this podcast episode, Julian describes Piccolo's speech style here as "It's in standard Japanese, it is not polite, but it's rather stiff, there's no contractions. He's not really being formal per se, but he is not being slangy at all."

What Simmons went for here is pretty solid. I think stuff like "what the hell" etc comes across as a bit too casual-slangy.

I checked the Danish manga translation and it's just straight forward "Who are you and what do you want with me?" there.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:01 am

dultimate02 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:44 pm Yeah that’s the thing with translations. There’s always a couple different ways to translate something from one language to another. I feel like most of these differences are negligible at best. We can never pick up EXACTLY what’s being said cause there’s so many variables when it comes to languages, though I feel as long as we understand what the Japanese dialogue is essentially saying, and nothing’s being given a different meaning or a different level of importance than the original Japanese, it’s good enough. I wouldn’t think too too much. Especially cause Steve Simmons is a pretty respected translator. Only real way to understand the true and ultimate intent of any line is by learning Japanese to be honest.
That's a bingo and my time learning Japanese has made me appreciate what translators have to do, because they basically have two jobs: 1. to ensure that any translation keeps true to the story being told, and 2. that it makes sense for whatever audience they are translating for.

If you made a literal translation, the end result would sound incredibly stilted to someone who only spoke English. Because it isn't how we talk.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:23 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:07 am I know very little about Japanese, I just see the "kisama" and "ore-sama" and figure he's addressing Raditz harshly while speaking highly of himself.
using "ore-sama" is basically blow-hard-tough speech, even more of the already rude "ki-sama"
Piccolo is being EXTREMELY rude in this sentence, think gang member.

roseofpain

Post by roseofpain » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:38 pm

Something I've noticed with the Simmons subtitles is that it's very "soft" when it comes to using certain swear words. It's as if the dialogue was translated with the intention of young viewers in mind while not remembering that it's also popular with adults.

The old bootleg VHS tapes I remember from the 90's had plenty of swear words in it. And they weren't just put there for laughs.
Last edited by roseofpain on Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:54 pm

roseofpain wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:38 pm Something I've noticed with the Simmons translation is that it's very "soft" when it comes to using certain swear words. It's as if the dialogue was translated with the intention of young viewers in mind while not remembering that it's also popular with adults.

The old bootleg VHS tapes I remember from the 90's had plenty of swear words in it. And they weren't just put there for laughs.
When you're comparing it to the overly edgy "You destroyed my fucking house?! Fuck you!" 90s fansubs, ANYTHING will look soft. Simmons subs had plenty of "Damns," "Bastards" and "Hells"

Clyde Mandelin got a bit heavier with the swears but even his translations have nothing on the AnimeLabs nonsense. Anime Labs basically just translated every instance of rude language to the most vulgar choice possible to make Dragon Ball look "adult."
Cold World (Fanfic)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:58 pm

roseofpain wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:38 pm Something I've noticed with the Simmons subtitles is that it's very "soft" when it comes to using certain swear words. It's as if the dialogue was translated with the intention of young viewers in mind while not remembering that it's also popular with adults.

While there was probably a request by Funimation to keep the language PG as far as Simmons subtitles went something tells me the old fansubs were being more liberal with their translations to make it seem edgier with the fucks

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:03 am

Anime Labs just piled on the swearing in their subs to absurd levels, they really went out of their way to make DBZ seem like this super edgy hardcore adult show when it just isn't. I remember watching some low quality .rm rips of the movies as a young kid and they were the AL sub versions. Wow, that was....something. XD

Here's some good (and hilarious) examples of this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SEVMIO9ekgk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=65YvGbGIzo8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C2sf_8IsHa0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vr7iFqTLzAM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IaqHc2ITcGE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ASkPlDCp1vg
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:24 am

ankokudaishogun wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:23 am
jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:07 am I know very little about Japanese, I just see the "kisama" and "ore-sama" and figure he's addressing Raditz harshly while speaking highly of himself.
using "ore-sama" is basically blow-hard-tough speech, even more of the already rude "ki-sama"
Piccolo is being EXTREMELY rude in this sentence, think gang member.
It's more like referring to yourself in third person to sound self-important. It sounds imposing when coming from a fictional character like Dr. Doom, it just sounds ridiculous if you say it in real life. No gang member unironically says "ore-sama".

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:01 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:58 pm While there was probably a request by Funimation to keep the language PG as far as Simmons subtitles went
Only at the literal very beginning (the Ginyu discs), and after that everything was fair game.

(See: https://www.kanzenshuu.com/2000/07/28/s ... flections/)

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:58 pmsomething tells me the old fansubs were being more liberal with their translations to make it seem edgier with the fucks
Anime Labs has already been referenced a few times here, but I'd recommend folks check out the Fandub Dialog page within our Rumor Guide for a look at some of the most iconic fansub lines.

(Well, "iconic" for dinosaurs like me, I guess.)

I keep meaning to pop in my NGN tape for another look at an "official" subtitle for that Piccolo line first mentioned in the thread. I'll edit that in here when I get a chance.

(Related: I'm laughing a little bit at basic rips of officially-released material being referred to as "fansubs"... but that's not on you, topic-creator... that's on us for needing to do the proper education!)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::