When will Toei take action against the Albanian dub?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: When will Toei take action against the Albanian dub?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:05 pm

Don't see TOEI taking action unless there's a significant push to get these dubs banned, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this completely slipped under their radar.

If TOEI were really concerned about Albanian dubs they would have offered Jess Discographic or any companies interested in getting the rights the Kohavision dub, which had 13 or more episodes ready (and was most likely legally produced) and all they would have to do is carry on where they left off.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:29 pm

Though of course, another example of a similar deal is the laughably bad Malaysian English dubs of the Z movies from Speedy Video and other anime release in a similar fashion back in the day. They may have been merely released bootlegged on VCD and not aired on on TV (unlike the Albanian dub) but Toei never took action against them, and i doubt they were even aware considering that bootlegs released in Malaysia/Singapore and elsewhere in Asia were common at the time in the mid '90s.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:32 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:05 pmIf TOEI were really concerned about Albanian dubs they would have offered Jess Discographic or any companies interested in getting the rights the Kohavision dub, which had 13 or more episodes ready (and was most likely legally produced) and all they would have to do is carry on where they left off.
That sounds like Toei saying ''please, make an official dub''. It would be really stupid if this was their reaction to the ones that are stealing their property and making money out of it.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:35 am

TheRed259 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:32 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:05 pmIf TOEI were really concerned about Albanian dubs they would have offered Jess Discographic or any companies interested in getting the rights the Kohavision dub, which had 13 or more episodes ready (and was most likely legally produced) and all they would have to do is carry on where they left off.
That sounds like Toei saying ''please, make an official dub''. It would be really stupid if this was their reaction to the ones that are stealing their property and making money out of it.
Fair enough. Honestly I'm just frustrated that the original Albanian dub, which aired in Kosovo has been lost to time, I even made a thread dedicated to it, because from what little we know of that dub it sounds like a lot of love went in to it, compared to the available Albanian dub, which is a complete mess and a scam.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:39 am

I, too, have long been baffled by the whole thing. It's not just an isolated case with Dragon Ball; illegal dubs (particularly for anime) are practically an institution over there. And these productions are by no means fan-made operations. It's all done professionally at actual studios. I'm guessing there has to be some loophole in copyright laws that allows them to get away with it, but I have yet to find anything concrete about that.

That said, another country that's well known for "illegal" dubbing is Iran, but there's apparently legal code (at least in the United States) stating that there is no reciprocity in copyright enforcement between Iran and the United States (and likely other countries I would surmise).
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.