2023 has been a good year for Dragon Ball in India so far

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

2023 has been a good year for Dragon Ball in India so far

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:10 am

So Dragon Ball's history in India, as far as I can tell is quite sparse. Cartoon Network aired Z in 2001 and 2005 in English, and again between 2007 and 2017/18 with dubs in the various native languages (Hindi, Tamil and Telugu), several fans have reported the existence of an original Dragon Ball dub although its not clear how much was dubbed or aired.

Kai may or may not have aired in 2012, as I've heard anecdotal reports both ways. There seems to be an Urdu dub of it though.

However since Super premiered last year Cartoon Network has seen a resurgence of Dragon Ball content on the channel.

For example, recently they aired Kai in a staggering five languages, the aforementioned Hindi, Tamil and Telegu, but also Malayalam and Kannada, and the movies in some of these languages.

Kai
Cooler's Revenge
Super Android 13 Promo

Return of Cooler
Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan

I've also heard from one source Uttam Pal Singh has confirmed Dragon Ball GT will air after Kai, there's a chance for original Dragon Ball (maybe with a Hindi redub) and they are looking into getting the rights to more of the movies, my source also said there's no chance Z will be rerun because Cartoon Network lost the rights after 2017 and Kai is the same story.

Still its great to see Kai, and Dragon Ball in general getting some love on TV in this day and age, so here's hoping the series will continue to grow in popularity in India for years to come, as it is a massive country, which has just overtaken China when it comes to population, so there is great potential.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: 2023 has been a good year for Dragon Ball in India so far

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:26 pm

I hope Pakistan follows suit and kids there will love the show. I still miss Multi Man.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:51 am

Super Hero is also supposedly getting an Indian English dub. This will be interesting if it comes to fruition. As far as I can tell it would mark the first time any Dragon Ball movie has had an alternate English dub since the Big Green movies on Toonami UK in 2005.

Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:22 pm

Today Dragon Ball Super aired on Cartoon Network with the Bang Zoom dub. 2 episodes are being aired every day Monday-Friday.

It's not so crazy that the Bang Zoom dub is being used as that's what Cartoon Network India has the masters for and based the Hindi, Tamil and Telegu Super dubs on (although Funimation's OP and ED were used). Additionally it aired last year in Pakistan.

This is good news as I know fans who are trying to get better recordings for these episodes.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:42 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:22 pm Today Dragon Ball Super aired on Cartoon Network with the Bang Zoom dub. 2 episodes are being aired every day Monday-Friday.

It's not so crazy that the Bang Zoom dub is being used as that's what Cartoon Network India has the masters for and based the Hindi, Tamil and Telegu Super dubs on (although Funimation's OP and ED were used). Additionally it aired last year in Pakistan.

This is good news as I know fans who are trying to get better recordings for these episodes.
But what will they do when they get past that dub?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:41 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:42 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:22 pm Today Dragon Ball Super aired on Cartoon Network with the Bang Zoom dub. 2 episodes are being aired every day Monday-Friday.

Air the edited Funimation dub I'd guess. Bang Zoom never dubbed anything past episode 27.

I'd be more curious to know if they will air Kai : The Final Chapters as there is an edited version of the Funimation dub, which as far as I know has never aired.

supershonen

Post by supershonen » Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:45 am

>there exists a Urdu dub from 2012
That is from Pakistan. They aired DBkai in Pakistan.They invited indian dub artists for the main cast prolly because they too grew up watching the Indian dub of z in early 2000s. So it was a collab between their network and indian dubbers

DB super was a hit in india. It premiered on May 2022 and since then we have got so many new anime shows as I believe popularity of db super generated interest among Indian channel heads to import more Japanese media. Cartoon network india still airs reruns of db super every 9 pm to 11 pm. I think craze for anime is highest rn after 2000s. If only you could see the amount of 14-20s year olds wearing anime themed tshirts especially DBZ ones. It fills me with great joy to see kids roaming around with those shirts.

Also we got db kai in April 2023 and right now we are getting new episodes of Db kai final chapters every Saturday (today we'll see Gohan training with shin). I a actually quite confused regarding db kai musical score used in the show. From saiyan to cell saga the episodes had DBZ's OST which is kikuichi if I am not wrong. But in the DB Kai: final chapters the OST is completely different and modern. Dunno what's going on.

supershonen

Post by supershonen » Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:51 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:41 am
sangofe wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:42 am

Air the edited Funimation dub I'd guess. Bang Zoom never dubbed anything past episode 27.

I'd be more curious to know if they will air Kai : The Final Chapters as there is an edited version of the Funimation dub, which as far as I know has never aired.
They are airing a version that has different soundtrack from Z.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:04 pm

supershonen wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:45 am From saiyan to cell saga the episodes had DBZ's OST which is kikuichi if I am not wrong. But in the DB Kai: final chapters the OST is completely different and modern. Dunno what's going on.
Oh, that's Norihito Sumitomo's soundtrack. It's the only soundtrack that Final Chapters has in both original Japanese and international versions.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:45 pm

supershonen wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:45 am >there exists a Urdu dub from 2012
That is from Pakistan. They aired DBkai in Pakistan
Interesting. I believe there was also an illegal channel called Cinemachi Kids that aired an Urdu dub of original Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z. Did you hear anything about those airings?
supershonen wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:45 am Also we got db kai in April 2023 and right now we are getting new episodes of Db kai final chapters every Saturday (today we'll see Gohan training with shin). I a actually quite confused regarding db kai musical score used in the show. From saiyan to cell saga the episodes had DBZ's OST which is kikuichi if I am not wrong. But in the DB Kai: final chapters the OST is completely different and modern. Dunno what's going on.
Originally Kenji Yamamoto was hired to compose an original score for Kai, but due to some ongoing fan investigations it was revealed he had been plagiarising most, if not all the tracks he claimed to have composed. TOEI reacted and hastily placed Shunsuke Kikuchi's score into Kai (which was mostly tracks from movies 6-9 and the Saiyan arc), but then for Final Chapters they opted to start fresh with a new composer Norihito Sumitomo.

supershonen

Post by supershonen » Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:23 pm

Tian wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:04 pm
supershonen wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:45 am From saiyan to cell saga the episodes had DBZ's OST which is kikuichi if I am not wrong. But in the DB Kai: final chapters the OST is completely different and modern. Dunno what's going on.
Oh, that's Norihito Sumitomo's soundtrack. It's the only soundtrack that Final Chapters has in both original Japanese and international versions.
Not really a fan of this ost if I am being honest

supershonen

Post by supershonen » Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:33 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:45 pm
supershonen wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:45 am >there exists a Urdu dub from 2012
That is from Pakistan. They aired DBkai in Pakistan
Interesting. I believe there was also an illegal channel called Cinemachi Kids that aired an Urdu dub of original Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z. Did you hear anything about those airings?
Afaik cinemachi kids aired DBZ, onepiece and Naruto in English and only dubbed FMA brotherhood. The dbkai Urdu dub was done officially by cn pakistan. Oh and my bad , they didn't invite OG indian dub artists for Goku. It was an india artist but not the old one.

Originally Kenji Yamamoto was hired to compose an original score for Kai, but due to some ongoing fan investigations it was revealed he had been plagiarising most, if not all the tracks he claimed to have composed. TOEI reacted and hastily placed Shunsuke Kikuchi's score into Kai (which was mostly tracks from movies 6-9 and the Saiyan arc), but then for Final Chapters they opted to start fresh with a new composer Norihito Sumitomo.
Is there any way to watch the og Yamamoto version? Sounds like lost media to me, quite intriguing.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:11 am

supershonen wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:33 pmAfaik cinemachi kids aired DBZ, onepiece and Naruto in English and only dubbed FMA brotherhood.
The weird thing is Cinemachi Kids aired a promo for original Dragon Ball, which called it "Dragon Ball Z" maybe accidentally. Since it says "witness the birth of the Dragon Ball saga" I suspect it may have indeed been original Dragon Ball they aired. It was shown Sunday nights at 10pm so I'm not surprised recordings haven't surfaced.

I did hear about the Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Urdu dub though. I also found this video which shows footage of the first Pokemon movie and has a message "now in Urdu" so I think Cinemachi Kids may have dubbed more stuff in Urdu.
supershonen wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:33 pm Is there any way to watch the og Yamamoto version? Sounds like lost media to me, quite intriguing.
Not sure about any of the Indian dubs with the Yamamoto score, but DVDs and Blu-Rays were released containing the English dub and Japanese version with the score. TV recordings are also easy to come by. It's not lost media at all.