Why didnt goku chach the dragon ball in dead zone

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Why didnt goku chach the dragon ball in dead zone

Post by Dragon ball master » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:55 am

So can somebody please explain how in dead zone? Goku knew that they were summoning shenron and the dragon balls just scattered. And he sees a fast flying object towards him. But instead of catching it, he just avoids it. Why didn't you try to catch it? Was it for plot.
And if he did it catch it, then Dr.wheelo wouldn't get the last dragon ball that he needs to summond shenron.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Why didnt goku chach the dragon ball in dead zone

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:01 am

It wasn't for plot because the movie was a one-off. It didn't follow the continuity established in chapter 104 of the manga (chapter 2 of "Z") or the first episodes of Dragon Ball Z, as Goku was supposed to have the 4-star, 3-star, and 6-star balls. In the movie, Goku only had the 4-star ball, that he put on Gohan's hat. So, this version of Goku doesn't seem care as much about finding them so much as he does just wanting to keep his grandpa's old ball as a keepsake. So, there's one potential reason. Also, the second Z movie was not thought of at the time.

Another potential reason, is that he simply wasn't that strong at the time. Trying to catch that ball would probably be like a normal person trying to catch a bullet. Once Shenlong granted a wish, the Dragon Balls got scattered all over the planet--pretty powerful stuff there.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:05 am

Because it was a rapidly-moving object that was about to hit him in the face. You’d get out of the way. When he caught the Dragon Ball after reviving Bora, it was something he planned to do beforehand and he jumped up to get it. Catching something that’s unexpectedly speeding full-pelt towards you is a different proposition. Besides, the only thing on Goku's mind at that point was getting Gohan back. What would he want a lump of stone for in that moment? He could find all of them in an afternoon if he wanted “his” ball back.
And if he did it catch it, then Dr.wheelo wouldn't get the last dragon ball that he needs to summond shenron.
I mean, if you want to connect the old movies together in your headcanon then that’s cool, but they weren’t designed to follow each other sequentially like that (with obvious exceptions like Coola or Broly). They don’t fit together even as an “alternate timeline” or what have you. For one thing, the Dragon Balls get used in each of the first 4 DBZ movies, which would mean at least 4-5 years passing if they shared a continuity, yet none of the characters age past their Saiyan/Freeza-era selves.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:22 am

He didn't catch it because his concern was finding and rescuing Gohan from Garlic Jr. not holding on to dragon balls.

And like Tori-Bot pointed out the movies don't really follow a singular continuity. The first Z movie seemingly exist in a universe where Raditz never came to earth and the Saiyan invasion never happened. Krillin and the others know who Gohan is, so the Kame House reunion in episode 1 and 2 of Z occurred without Raditz interloping. Z movie 2 very obviously occurs in a timeline where the Saiyan invasion did happen and the events of the Saiyan saga form the basis for Gohan's hero worship of Piccolo in that movie.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:34 pm

The Tori-bot wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:05 amI mean, if you want to connect the old movies together in your headcanon then that’s cool, but they weren’t designed to follow each other sequentially like that
Accordingly, if you want to separate each of the old movies in your headcanon then that's cool, but there is Hatchiyack OVA, where the characters acknowledge the movie villains. Unless Goku, Trunks, Gohan and etc also come from different dimensions as well, but I don't think that's the case. And that OVA might be a strong evidence that Shueisha and Toei also prefer to lump all the movies together (under the "keep it simple" philosophy).
The Tori-bot wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:05 amThey don’t fit together even as an “alternate timeline” or what have you. For one thing, the Dragon Balls get used in each of the first 4 DBZ movies, which would mean at least 4-5 years passing if they shared a continuity, yet none of the characters age past their Saiyan/Freeza-era selves.
The only problem is Movie 2 and Movie 3. Movie 1 takes place in AGE 761 just fine. Then, one year later, Movie 2 can happen, although this one has a problem with the series, as it's the same year Shenlong is summoned to bring Goku back. Other than that, it works fine as occurring in the same dimension as the previous movie. The issue is Movie 3, where they unnecessarily summoned Shenlong just to "bring back" a forest (even though it would regrow naturally with time...).

I have always been of the opinion to change the events of the series to accommodate the movies, but it's probably for the best that an exception is made and ignore that Shenlong is summoned in Movie 3, so that it can still be in the same continuity too. No Shenlong is summoned there, and the forest will come back eventually. Movie 4 can happen at any time between AGE 763 and AGE 764, with some minor changes to the series, of course.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:20 pm

So basically, if you ignore that the movies don’t fit into a coherent continuity, then they can fit into a coherent continuity? Neat.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:47 pm

There is something called "leniency" and "open-mindedness". If something is wrong but can be easily fixed, why getting fixated on the wrongness and ignore the solution?

This is like saying Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman don't fit with the rest of the manga because of Bulma's age, even though one can easily fix it simply by placing it at a specific point in time. Ignoring the simple solution to focus on what's wrong is never wise.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:35 pm

He won't able to do anything since it would take another 6 months for the Dragon Balls to recharge back to normal.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:53 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:47 pm There is something called "leniency" and "open-mindedness". If something is wrong but can be easily fixed, why getting fixated on the wrongness and ignore the solution?

This is like saying Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman don't fit with the rest of the manga because of Bulma's age, even though one can easily fix it simply by placing it at a specific point in time. Ignoring the simple solution to focus on what's wrong is never wise.
But the movies obviously don't fit into the main story. Instead of trying to stuff them in, why not just look at them as taking place in their own continuity? This is like trying to stuff Man of Steel into Superman (1979). Why?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:09 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:53 pmBut the movies obviously don't fit into the main story.
Not the "main story" that you grew up watching/reading. But another version of the "main story" is where they fit.
TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:53 pmInstead of trying to stuff them in, why not just look at them as taking place in their own continuity? This is like trying to stuff Man of Steel into Superman (1979). Why?
1 - Because I think that's what Shueisha would most likely do if they ever decide to finally do something with the movies.

2 - Because it's easier to lump them all together than to nitpick about "this happens here, that happens there" in a show supposedly for kids.

3 - Because I see a lot of people treating their opinions/approach as if they were a fact, even though this has never been confirmed. It's a valid one, sure, but just as lumping them all together is too. Lack of statement gives us this much freedom, nice, isn't? Also, because I'm not willing to subscribe to random what-if scenarios that people create in their minds, for example, that Raditz never showed up, that's blatantly false.

~ Day of the Machines ~

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:43 am

Grimlock wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:09 am 1 - Because I think that's what Shueisha would most likely do if they ever decide to finally do something with the movies.
I don't think so. I think it's pretty universally known that the movies don't follow the main continuity.
2 - Because it's easier to lump them all together than to nitpick about "this happens here, that happens there" in a show supposedly for kids.
It's honestly not that big of a thing. Everyone knows what happened where. And also, who are we talking aboutn and in what context? Yes, if you're discussing the series and you bring up something that happened in a movie--which was written by someone who isn't the author of the rest of the series and is known to contradict the series--sure, they can bring up that it doesn't count.

3 - Because I see a lot of people treating their opinions/approach as if they were a fact, even though this has never been confirmed. It's a valid one, sure, but just as lumping them all together is too. Lack of statement gives us this much freedom, nice, isn't? Also, because I'm not willing to subscribe to random what-if scenarios that people create in their minds, for example, that Raditz never showed up, that's blatantly false.
Again, I don't think we need an official statement--none of them fit into the main story. I, again, go back to Man if Steel and the Donner Superman. We didn't get a statement that they don't exist in the same continuity, we just know they don't. We know that the Arkham games' story doesn't exist in the same continuity as The Dark Knight trilogy. There are lots of examples like this.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:52 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:09 am Because it's easier to lump them all together than to nitpick about "this happens here, that happens there" in a show supposedly for kids.
I feel like it is easier to put them in their own timeline than trying to make them into one confusing mess. The the original seventeen theatrical films do feel like what if stories 99% of the time other than DBZ Movie 9 & DBZ Movie 13. DBZ movie 1 being set in a world where Raditz doesn't show up on Earth makes sense given that Bluma and the others are aware that Goku has a son. If it's set before DBZ, why would Goku be shock to know that Piccolo has weight clothes like he does?
She/Her

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:11 pm

At any rate Toei's stance on the Z movies and how they fit or don't fit has always pretty much been " *shrug* whatever." They'll gladly pull from the movies when given the opportunity (i.e Garlic Jr arc, GT) but be unconcerned with them when they're following Toriyama's story/notes

Trying to fit all the Z movies into a single "movie-verse" has always been absurd, like they just don't go together the same way the trilogy for the original Dragon Ball movies do. Z movie 3-5 (and arguably 2 as well) all set themselves "after Namek" but only movie 5 accounts for Goku having the ability to become a Super Saiyan and defeating Freeza as such

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:19 pm

Trying to pull all of the DB films and shows into one timeline is like trying to put all the Godzilla movies into one timeline. It doesn't work and makes things way too confusing.
She/Her

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:32 pm

The Z movies don't even fit with each other, I can't remember now if its the Cooler movies or the Broly movies that don't really add up with even their own sequels. They weren't created with the intention of telling a coherent side continuity with several villains replacing the original ones, they are mostly one-offs.

In any case, I don't see why a line on a magazine not even written by Toei can have more weight than the contradictions between a movie and the main continuity

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:52 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:43 amI don't think so.
I think so. And with these hints, I don't think I'm alone.
TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:43 amI think it's pretty universally known that the movies don't follow the main continuity.
Grimlock wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:09 amNot the "main story" that you grew up watching/reading. But another version of the "main story" is where they fit.
TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:43 amAgain, I don't think we need an official statement--none of them fit into the main story. I, again, go back to Man if Steel and the Donner Superman. We didn't get a statement that they don't exist in the same continuity, we just know they don't. We know that the Arkham games' story doesn't exist in the same continuity as The Dark Knight trilogy. There are lots of examples like this.
Wait, what are you talking about exactly? If the movies work in a single continuity or if they work with the series? It's one thing the movies contradicting one another, it's another thing the movies contradicting the series. Two different subjects, let's pick one.

I have never even tried to put the movies and the series (the one you know) in a single place. What I have done and will continue to do is try to put the movies in the alternate version of the "main series", the one that happens in the same dimension as the movies.

As for the movies themselves, I'm yet to see how exactly they contradict each other. How exactly does Movie 1 contradict Movie 2? I can see that Movie 2 and Movie 3 cannot happen in the same year because of Shenlong, but what about the other movies? Just keep coming here saying "they all happen in a different continuity than one another" and not share evidences, or at least your arguments as to why you think that's the case is not going to solve or change anything.
Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:52 pmThe the original seventeen theatrical films do feel like what if stories 99% of the time other than DBZ Movie 9 & DBZ Movie 13.
They may feel like "what-if stories" to you, but in reality they are not.
Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:52 pmDBZ movie 1 being set in a world where Raditz doesn't show up on Earth makes sense given that Bluma and the others are aware that Goku has a son.
Why such a drastic change? Why not: Bulma, Kuririn and Muten Roshi had already met Gohan before Goku went to Muten Roshi's home. Once there, instead of them being shocked that Goku has a son, they all greet Gohan. Everything after that proceed normally.

See? Much, much better and easier than coming up with such a random scenario where "Raditz didn't show up", which is major plot point that cannot and must not be altered. Raditz not showing up causes major departure and can even alter the course of history, however, Bulma and the others knowing Gohan before Goku goes to Muten Roshi's home as well as greeting him just before Raditz shows up causes little to no departure, because it's a minor event/change in the grand scheme of things.
Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:19 pmTrying to pull all of the DB films and shows into one timeline is like trying to put all the Godzilla movies into one timeline. It doesn't work and makes things way too confusing.
For the most part it does work, as I and KBABZ have already discussed . I don't think it's that confusing, clearly a subject that is not for everyone.
Last edited by Grimlock on Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:05 pm

Even the Daizenshuu considers the movies to be in their own dimension. Having a movie like Fusion Reborn, Super #13, Lord Slug, etc would be impossible to fit into the anime or manga. Even the old Broli movies feel like What If stories now after Toriyama did his own take on the character for Super.
She/Her

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:16 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:05 pmEven the Daizenshuu considers the movies to be in their own dimension.
Do you have a source for that?

~ Day of the Machines ~

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:03 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:16 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:05 pmEven the Daizenshuu considers the movies to be in their own dimension.
Do you have a source for that?
She/Her

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:13 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:52 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:43 amI don't think so.
I think so. And with these hints, I don't think I'm alone.
TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:43 amI think it's pretty universally known that the movies don't follow the main continuity.
Grimlock wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:09 amNot the "main story" that you grew up watching/reading. But another version of the "main story" is where they fit.
TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:43 amAgain, I don't think we need an official statement--none of them fit into the main story. I, again, go back to Man if Steel and the Donner Superman. We didn't get a statement that they don't exist in the same continuity, we just know they don't. We know that the Arkham games' story doesn't exist in the same continuity as The Dark Knight trilogy. There are lots of examples like this.
Wait, what are you talking about exactly? If the movies work in a single continuity or if they work with the series? It's one thing the movies contradicting one another, it's another thing the movies contradicting the series. Two different subjects, let's pick one.

I have never even tried to put the movies and the series (the one you know) in a single place. What I have done and will continue to do is try to put the movies in the alternate version of the "main series", the one that happens in the same dimension as the movies.

As for the movies themselves, I'm yet to see how exactly they contradict each other. How exactly does Movie 1 contradict Movie 2? I can see that Movie 2 and Movie 3 cannot happen in the same year because of Shenlong, but what about the other movies? Just keep coming here saying "they all happen in a different continuity than one another" and not share evidences, or at least your arguments as to why you think that's the case is not going to solve or change anything.
Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:52 pmThe the original seventeen theatrical films do feel like what if stories 99% of the time other than DBZ Movie 9 & DBZ Movie 13.
They may feel like "what-if stories" to you, but in reality they are not.
Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:52 pmDBZ movie 1 being set in a world where Raditz doesn't show up on Earth makes sense given that Bluma and the others are aware that Goku has a son.
Why such a drastic change? Why not: Bulma, Kuririn and Muten Roshi had already met Gohan before Goku went to Muten Roshi's home. Once there, instead of them being shocked that Goku has a son, they all greet Gohan. Everything after that proceed normally.

See? Much, much better and easier than coming up with such a random scenario where "Raditz didn't show up", which is major plot point that cannot and must not be altered. Raditz not showing up causes major departure and can even alter the course of history, however, Bulma and the others knowing Gohan before Goku goes to Muten Roshi's home as well as greeting him just before Raditz shows up causes little to no departure, because it's a minor event/change in the grand scheme of things.
Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:19 pmTrying to pull all of the DB films and shows into one timeline is like trying to put all the Godzilla movies into one timeline. It doesn't work and makes things way too confusing.
For the most part it does work, as I and KBABZ have already discussed . I don't think it's that confusing, clearly a subject that is not for everyone.
Look, you can choose to look at the movies however you'd like. Enjoy the series any way you'd like. But, when you discuss it with most fans, they won't look at it that way. Nor should they.