Where does this photo come from?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

byegeorge99

Where does this photo come from?

Post by byegeorge99 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:33 am

Anyone know? Thanks. I'm looking for which episode.[/img]

DemonKingPiccolo
Beyond Newbie

Post by DemonKingPiccolo » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:52 am

I think it's the episode when the Z fighters fly off to find Babidi and stop him from awakening Buu. Don't know what number it is,
"There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
And it's filled with people who are filled with shit
And the vermin of the world inhabit it."
~Sweeney Todd

TheJoo87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheJoo87 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:13 pm

Its between japanese episodes 116-120, sorry that's not very precise. But the scene is when Mr. Satan is thinking about how Gohan and Videl have been hanging around together a lot, and he's not liking it too much, when they leave the Budokai.
"What do you get when you cross an owl with a bungee cord? My Ass... ah ha ha ha."-Master Pain (Betty)

"Remember children, if you are walking on your way home and you see a downed power line, eat a lot of hot dogs very quickly." - Takeru Kobayashi on snl.

shannarafan
Beyond Newbie

Post by shannarafan » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:59 pm

TheJoo87 wrote:Its between japanese episodes 116-120
Nah, that's the Cell saga. You're thinking of 216-220.

TheJoo87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheJoo87 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:06 pm

shannarafan wrote:
TheJoo87 wrote:Its between japanese episodes 116-120
Nah, that's the Cell saga. You're thinking of 216-220.
Oh crap, you're right! I accidently put a 1 instead of a 2 yeah. Actually 116-120 would be the last two episodes of the Garlic Jr. Saga and the first three episodes of the Cell arc when Trunks chops Freeza in half.
"What do you get when you cross an owl with a bungee cord? My Ass... ah ha ha ha."-Master Pain (Betty)

"Remember children, if you are walking on your way home and you see a downed power line, eat a lot of hot dogs very quickly." - Takeru Kobayashi on snl.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:54 pm

You guys are wrong actually...

It's Episode 234 in the Jap version, after the tournament is over, Hercule starts thinking about it.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:27 pm

Son_Gohan wrote:You guys are wrong actually...

It's Episode 234 in the Jap version, after the tournament is over, Mr. Satan starts thinking about it.
First, it's JP if you want to abreviate. Not 'Jap'. Second, 234 in the original numbering would be in the 216 - 220 range given in the NA releases. Therefore they are not wrong. 219, I believe.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:07 pm

Xyex wrote:
Son_Gohan wrote:You guys are wrong actually...

It's Episode 234 in the Jap version, after the tournament is over, Mr. Satan starts thinking about it.
First, it's JP if you want to abreviate. Not 'Jap'. Second, 234 in the original numbering would be in the 216 - 220 range given in the NA releases. Therefore they are not wrong. 219, I believe.
Well 'Jap' sounds more specific to me... but w/e lol.

And I'm not exactly sure what the NA releases are. :?

But I just watched Episode 234 in Japanese, and that's where I saw it.

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:44 pm

It wouldn't matter if "Jap" wasn't a term some experience as racist. To be on the safe side, you'd best use JP.
It's all GOOD

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:45 pm

Terra-jin wrote:It wouldn't matter if "Jap" wasn't a term some experience as racist. To be on the safe side, you'd best use JP.
Wow, no one has ever had a problem with it before.

Alright, I'll use JP for this forum only. :wink:

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:26 pm

Son_Gohan wrote:Wow, no one has ever had a problem with it before.
Okay. Please walk up to a Japanese person and call them a "jap." While you're at it, call a black person a "nigger," a Spanish person a "spic" and so on. You'll be my exciting social experiment.

-Corey

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:32 pm

I get what you guys are saying, but he meant it to abbreviate, as in "Jap." not "Jap" as in a racial slur. It's also not being used in that context. Anyway..it's probably better to just say JP and save a whole lot of trouble and misunderstandings.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:33 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Okay. Please walk up to a Japanese person and call them a "jap." While you're at it, call a black person a "nigger," a Spanish person a "spic" and so on. You'll be my exciting social experiment.
-Corey
Jesus, let's not get into this again. He said a word. A word that is an abbreviation for 'Japanese'. He didn't use it in a derogatory manner, he simply used it with it's proper denotation and not a specific culture's connotation.

If you feel so offended by it that you feel the need to say so, and ask that he not say this word, then fine. Asking someone to do something isn't a big deal. Acting like using the word at all is damnedable is repugnant.

It's like 'retarded' or 'crippled' or 'gay'. They're all perfectly fine words, but they make some people uncomfortable because they can be, and often are, used in a derogatory manner.

But let's not get into that here. It's not the type of discussion that this forum is made for. Let's just drop it. If you have a problem with a specific person repeatedly posting things that make you uncomfortable, then PM him about it. Don't drag the rest of the conversation down with this shit. The only opinion that matters here is Mike's, and until he makes a ruling specifically about it, just ease the fuck off, alright?

Personally, I just think it's lazy to type 'Jap' instead of 'Japanese'. I mean, is it that hard to out the last few letters?

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:39 am

SonEric84 wrote:I get what you guys are saying, but he meant it to abbreviate, as in "Jap." not "Jap" as in a racial slur. It's also not being used in that context. Anyway..it's probably better to just say JP and save a whole lot of trouble and misunderstandings.
(Since your post is shorter than Desire's I'm quoting it, but this goes to him too.)

I know it was written with the intention of an abreviation. And I, personally, have no issue with it. In fact, I think it's rather ridiculous for anyone to have any issues with any 'insults' like that. They've never bothered me, but I'm not everyone so I know certain things shouldn't be said. Anyway, in this instance, I only brought it up because I know there are people who, no matter the context, would get upset over it. It's better to just avoid any possible confrontations outright than wait for one to happen and adjust to circumstances then.

As for the retarded, crippled, and gay bit... well, gay's pretty much lost all 'insult' connoations unless the person being called gay is homophobic. No one else gives a shit. Retard's already been 'blacklisted' as a word that even parents of mentally handicaped kids don't like. And crippled, meh, I've only seen a few of those 'I can do everything on my own, get lost you worhtless ingrate!' types ever care about that.

Anyway! Back to the actual topic here.
And I'm not exactly sure what the NA releases are.
NA is the abreviation for North America. Thus, the NA releases are the DVDs put out here in the states and up in Canada. Due to 15 episodes worth of material being cut from the first two seasons of the series the count is different. Episode 219 of NA version is the same as 234 of the original JP version.
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Good point.

Professor Daravon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Professor Daravon » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:46 am

desirecampbell wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:Okay. Please walk up to a Japanese person and call them a "jap." While you're at it, call a black person a "nigger," a Spanish person a "spic" and so on. You'll be my exciting social experiment.
-Corey
Jesus, let's not get into this again. He said a word. A word that is an abbreviation for 'Japanese'. He didn't use it in a derogatory manner, he simply used it with it's proper denotation and not a specific culture's connotation.

If you feel so offended by it that you feel the need to say so, and ask that he not say this word, then fine. Asking someone to do something isn't a big deal. Acting like using the word at all is damnedable is repugnant.

It's like 'retarded' or 'crippled' or 'gay'. They're all perfectly fine words, but they make some people uncomfortable because they can be, and often are, used in a derogatory manner.

But let's not get into that here. It's not the type of discussion that this forum is made for. Let's just drop it. If you have a problem with a specific person repeatedly posting things that make you uncomfortable, then PM him about it. Don't drag the rest of the conversation down with this shit. The only opinion that matters here is Mike's, and until he makes a ruling specifically about it, just ease the fuck off, alright?

Personally, I just think it's lazy to type 'Jap' instead of 'Japanese'. I mean, is it that hard to out the last few letters?
But it is a racial slur. It's only a racial slur. In my experience, I have never known it to be a proper abbreviation, and I've only ever seen it used as such by people who didn't know any better. It's not like "retarded" or "crippled" or "gay" because those words all have legitimate, inoffensive meanings. "Jap" has no such meaning. The proper abbreviations for Japan/Japanese include "JP" and "JPN," but not "Jap." Son_Gohan didn't know that, made an honest mistake, and was civilly corrected. Nobody here flew off the handle over it, they simply set him straight and explained why he was wrong to say it. This might not be the type of discussion the forum is intended to host, but given that there are a lot of younger people here discussing a Japanese show who may not know any better, it seems pretty reasonable to me that someone should publicly correct people who accidentally utter a racial slur so as to educate everyone else who may also be using it without knowing its real meaning. There's no need for you to come in and play moderator; if Mike feels that this discussion is inappropriate, he'll take care of it himself. In the meantime, Son_Gohan and perhaps others reading this thread have learned a valuable lesson.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:20 am

Professor Daravon wrote:But it is a racial slur. It's only a racial slur. In my experience, I have never known it to be a proper abbreviation, and I've only ever seen it used as such by people who didn't know any better. It's not like "retarded" or "crippled" or "gay" because those words all have legitimate, inoffensive meanings. "Jap" has no such meaning. The proper abbreviations for Japan/Japanese include "JP" and "JPN," but not "Jap." Son_Gohan didn't know that, made an honest mistake, and was civilly corrected. Nobody here flew off the handle over it, they simply set him straight and explained why he was wrong to say it. This might not be the type of discussion the forum is intended to host, but given that there are a lot of younger people here discussing a Japanese show who may not know any better, it seems pretty reasonable to me that someone should publicly correct people who accidentally utter a racial slur so as to educate everyone else who may also be using it without knowing its real meaning. There's no need for you to come in and play moderator; if Mike feels that this discussion is inappropriate, he'll take care of it himself. In the meantime, Son_Gohan and perhaps others reading this thread have learned a valuable lesson.
It's only a racial slur because it's been used that way. It doesn't stem from the word itself. Let's take 'monkey' as an example. That can be used as a racial slur. Is 'monkey' itself a racial slur? No. It only is when it is. Fuck, anything can be a racial slur, the only reason you have a problem with 'Jap' is because you know it's been used in such a way and have some emotional connection to it. You feel bad about it, and you don't like to hear the word. Fine. That doesn't make the word itself unspeakable. It's a word with legitimate uses, sure JPN or JP are useful, but not nearly as good an abbreviation as 'Jap'. There's not a moment of confusion as to what that refers to, where JP and JPN are apt to cause more trouble as they cannot be pronounced like 'Jap' and they are another step removed from the root word.

Every word has in "inoffensive" meaning, if you don't take offense to it. Personally, I tend to put more weight behind the meaning of the speakers words then the individual words. If you called me a "hoser" I would only take offense if you meant offense by it.

The only lesson people will learn from these tirades against 'Jap' is that they'd better not make any sound that these people don't like, because they'll yell at you and call you a racist if you do.

-edit-
I'm not saying we should all go around and call each other "crippled nigger jap-fags". I mean, I Canadian, being nice to people is in my goddamn blood. I'm just saying that this apparent blistering force to bend someone to your will offends me more than any word ever could.

-edit2-
Damnit! Why am I still continuing this conversation?! Back on topic: can anyone get us a dbox cap of that scene? I needs me some Dragon Ball shoujo.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:23 am

Xyex wrote:
SonEric84 wrote:I get what you guys are saying, but he meant it to abbreviate, as in "Jap." not "Jap" as in a racial slur. It's also not being used in that context. Anyway..it's probably better to just say JP and save a whole lot of trouble and misunderstandings.
(Since your post is shorter than Desire's I'm quoting it, but this goes to him too.)

I know it was written with the intention of an abreviation. And I, personally, have no issue with it. In fact, I think it's rather ridiculous for anyone to have any issues with any 'insults' like that. They've never bothered me, but I'm not everyone so I know certain things shouldn't be said. Anyway, in this instance, I only brought it up because I know there are people who, no matter the context, would get upset over it. It's better to just avoid any possible confrontations outright than wait for one to happen and adjust to circumstances then.

As for the retarded, crippled, and gay bit... well, gay's pretty much lost all 'insult' connoations unless the person being called gay is homophobic. No one else gives a shit. Retard's already been 'blacklisted' as a word that even parents of mentally handicaped kids don't like. And crippled, meh, I've only seen a few of those 'I can do everything on my own, get lost you worhtless ingrate!' types ever care about that.

(This post is also not just in response to you Xyex. lol)

Yeah, that's basically why I said it was probably just best not to say it. Though I think even a Japanese person would realize that he wasn't saying anything offensive. I mean, I'm sure most of us here would be the first to defend against any kind of racism against a culture that we all have a connection to/appreciate. (And just so everyone knows, I'm not saying we should only defend the people whose t.v. shows/videogames/music/culture/etc./ that we like :roll: but we're talking about Japan here so that's what I am sticking to.) It's not as though he was refering to any person as a "Jap", but simply talking about the Japenese version of a show he likes. The abbreviation makes sense and while it's not that hard to just write out the word I think it should be acceptable depending on the context it's used in and I doubt in real life when he's talking about something Japanese he actually SAYS "Jap. version." (then maybe I could see a problem) It's more of a thing to do when you're typing.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:08 am

Xyex wrote:NA is the abreviation for North America. Thus, the NA releases are the DVDs put out here in the states and up in Canada. Due to 15 episodes worth of material being cut from the first two seasons of the series the count is different. Episode 219 of NA version is the same as 234 of the original JP version.
Oh, the Dubbed version.

And I didn't come here to start a war...

I'll use JP as the abbreviation or just type the whole word from now on, alright?

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:26 am

Dude, Desire, calm down. Seriously. You're the only one going on a tirade in this entire thread. :?
Though I think even a Japanese person would realize that he wasn't saying anything offensive.
Yeah, well, after that whole Imus thing I don't think anything is impossible anymore. If something like that can get that stupid, anything can.
Oh, the Dubbed version.
Well, can't really called it the dubbed version since the Japanese audio track is included on it, so it's also the Japanese version. Hence my labeling of NA. It's the numbering system used in North America. 8)
Last edited by Xyex on Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
<Xyex> Good point.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:28 am

Xyex wrote:Dude, Desire, calm down. Seriously. You're the only one going on a tirade in this entire thread. :?
Though I think even a Japanese person would realize that he wasn't saying anything offensive.
Yeah, well, after that whole Imus thing I don't think anything is impossible anymore. If something like that can get that stupid, anything can.

Hmm, good point.