Drunken Master and the original series

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Drunken Master and the original series

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:30 pm

So I watched the original Drunken Master over the weekend and was really suprised how much the style of humor influenced Dragonball.

Has Toriyama ever mentioned in an interview that the movie was an influence? Because you look at some of the early fight scenes from the series and compare them to Drunken Master and its hard not to notice.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:37 pm

From Daizenshuu 2's Toriyama interview:
Q: Since this volume is a story guide, I thought that I'd ask you about things relating to DragonBall's story. First of all, why did you begin the story of DragonBall?
A: I had just ended "Dr. Slump", and for the time being I was thinking about what I should do for my next serialized work. I had many meetings with my editor at the time, Torishima-san. As it happened, at that time I loved Jacky Chan's movies and had seen "Drunken Master" dozens of times. Since I liked that sort of thing, Torishima-san advised me to try and make a kung-fu shounen manga, so I drew a one-shot called "Dragon Boy". That got an incredibly positive response from the readers, so I decided to go that route for my next serialized work.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:57 pm

Herms wrote: I loved Jacky Chan's movies and had seen "Drunken Master" dozens of times.
I knew I had seen that somewhere, thanks.

DemonKingPiccolo
Beyond Newbie

Post by DemonKingPiccolo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:36 am

Well I knew that Jackie Chan is the most referenced master of the Drunken art, and With Roshi's alias "Jackie Chun" being an obvious pun, I figured that's where it came from. Also I remember this interview being mentioned in one of my discussions long ago.

Even though Jackie's one of the best martial arts masters in the world, his martial arts skills are used strictly for entertainment, therefore he doesn't compete in actual tournaments.
"There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
And it's filled with people who are filled with shit
And the vermin of the world inhabit it."
~Sweeney Todd

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:31 pm

I'm rereading my old Jump issues and in one of the early ones he mentions "Drunken Master" as an influence/movie he likes.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:43 pm

Another thing to point out is that the name of the technique that Jacky Chun uses against Goku in the 21st Tenkaichi Budoukai, the Suiken, is the same as Drunken Master's title in Japanese. And of course the attack itself is heavily inspired by the film.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

COCONUT MILK
Beyond Newbie

Post by COCONUT MILK » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:08 pm

So, there you have it. If it was not for jackie chan, then there would be no dragonball. :shock:

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:48 am

Herms wrote:Another thing to point out is that the name of the technique that Jacky Chun uses against Goku in the 21st Tenkaichi Budoukai, the Suiken, is the same as Drunken Master's title in Japanese. And of course the attack itself is heavily inspired by the film.
Well Sui Ken/Zui Quan is the name of the fighting style (Drunken Fist or Drunken Boxing, depending on who you ask I guess).
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:12 am

And I'm proud to have helped out Jackie Chan for the Hong Kong DVD release of his movies "The Myth" and "Rob-B-Hood". Pretty ironic that a CBC (Canadian-born Chinese) like me wouldn't have been able to do this kind of work if it weren't for Dragonball. Normally, overseas born Chinese lack the linguistic skills to read Chinese. I managed to learn how to read Chinese within months during my early teens because I became so addicted to the Dragonball manga. The manga was only accessible to me in its Hong Kong Chinese editions back in the early 1990's. It all comes to a full circle. And in case anyone is wondering, I translated most of the special features and audio commentary tracks for "The Myth" and "Rob-B-Hood".

:D

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/ti ... itionS.jpg
Here's an image of my copy of "The Myth" Collectors Edition boxset DVD which Jackie Chan had signed to me a few years ago. (Image is too big so I'll leave a link right here.)

This was taken back in 1996 when Jackie came to Toronto in November 1996. I met him again in 2001 when he came to film "The Tuxedo" and in 2005 for the Toronto International Film Festival world premiere of "The Myth".
The world is your's.

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:31 am

Nice! But wait, there are also Drunkenmaster the series?

Old Japanse/Chinese movies just rock. Man really, It's way better than Hollywoord, man.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:46 pm

shotkeeper wrote:Nice! But wait, there are also Drunkenmaster the series?

Old Japanse/Chinese movies just rock. Man really, It's way better than Hollywoord, man.
No, there was only 3 Drunken Master movies. (Jackie Chan was not in the third.) However, Jet Li does take a spin on the drunken boxing technique in director Wong Jing's "Once Upon A Time In China" movie. (Wong Jing's the same fella who also made the live-action "City Hunter" movie starring Jackie Chan. I know people who work directly for him.)
The world is your's.

Snail

Post by Snail » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:35 pm

I hate a majority of Wong Jing's films. Tell him to stop making bad movies XD.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:37 pm

Snail wrote:I hate a majority of Wong Jing's films. Tell him to stop making bad movies XD.
That's a little hard for me to do.
I'd be in an awkward situation if I had to say it. It's also kinda weird how nobody says jack shit when he actually makes a good movie. "God of Gamblers" is his only exception, though.
The world is your's.

Snail

Post by Snail » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:40 pm

I wasn't being serious when I wanted you to pass on that message of course :wink: . Cool connections though. That's pretty awesome.