DragonBall The Movies #01 & #02

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

DragonBall The Movies #01 & #02

Post by Hujio » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:24 am

Kanzentai.com:
Hujio wrote:Well this news caught me a little off-guard, especially since it's about two months early. Amazon Japan has posted the cover art for the first two upcoming "DragonBall The Movies" individual disc releases. First, I must say that I am disappointed, I was really hoping for some original artwork for the covers instead of what was used for the Dragon Box. Is this the only artwork they have for the film releases?

Image Image

On an otherwise interesting note, it appears that Toei will be releasing the films out of order. The first two films, "DragonBall Z (Return My Gohan!! / DBZ Movie 01)" and "The World's Strongest Guy (DBZ Movie 02)", are set to be released on August 8, 2008. For some reason, they are beginning the releases with the DragonBall Z films... interesting?!
We still don't know if any of the bonus material is included, but since they haven't done so with any of the other releases, I don't really think we'll get any this time either. But hopefully I'm wrong...

Amazon Japan Links:
DBZ Movie 01 / DragonBall Z - Return My Gohan!!
DBZ Movie 02 / The World's Strongest Guy
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:46 am

Toei could have came better with the cover art. I think fans worldwide will be glad when the Dead Zone and World's Strongest are released, because I think we are all getting tired of seeing those 2 films on the market.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:06 am

Well, that's a downer. The covers might as well be those generic covers they give videogames and DVDs at the video store when they don't have the actual cover :?...
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:43 am

I'm disappointed; I wanted to see some new movie-related artwork. :(
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:37 am

I'm very disappointed Toei didn't create new artwork for these releases. Instead we get a really cheap and crappy looking Goku, fan-art style.
You must have faith in who you are.

Shin Moonwalker
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shin Moonwalker » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:54 am

The worst part is that the covers don't change with the movies, except the number and the (small) title...

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:40 am

That picture of Goku is horrendous and having Dead Zone as the first dragonball movie..ugh.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:16 am

What're you talking about? Don't you guys remember when Goku went Super Saiyan against both Garlic Jr. and Dr. Wheelo at the same time? That's what the cover's about!

Geez. And you call yourself Dragonball fans. I bet you guys don't even know about evil Trunks in the new Dragonball AF that Akira Toriyama's working on singlehandedly to put on TV. It starts later this month!

:P
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Adamant
I Live Here

Re: DragonBall The Movies #01 & #02

Post by Adamant » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:40 am

Hujio wrote:The first two films, "DragonBall Z (Return My Gohan!! / DBZ Movie 01)" and "The World's Strongest Guy (DBZ Movie 02)", are set to be released on August 8, 2008. For some reason, they are beginning the releases with the DragonBall Z films... interesting?!
:evil:

Why do you keep not giving me the one movie I want, Toei?

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:25 am

DaemonCorps wrote:Well, that's a downer. The covers might as well be those generic covers they give videogames and DVDs at the video store when they don't have the actual cover :?...
At first I thought they were just generic covers that they put up, but when I looked closer I noticed they had numbers. I couldn't believe it!

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:25 pm

At first I thought they were just generic covers that they put up, but when I looked closer I noticed they had numbers. I couldn't believe it!
I don't know man, I really think those are place holders. I guess we well have to wait and see what pops up on the official site.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:30 pm

I thought they were too (and I hope they are), but all of the other place holders they've used weren't ever this specific. All the other place holders were just the exact same image over and over. I really hope I'm wrong, and these really are just place holders... but I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:32 pm

It is so unlike Toei to create such bland products, I really believe and hope that this is not what the final releases will look like. All of the other 4 DragonBox individual release's feature amazing cover art that is not too alike to the other individual releases, and each cover is based on what the disc contains, I doubt they will change this pattern on their most popular DragonBox.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:39 pm

The Pioneer and UUE/First Strike covers outclass this crap by far IMO, and the latter was pure photoshopped work. Damn does this scream laziness on Toei's part, they could've just as efficiently formatted the original movie posters on the covers as FUNi have done for some of their single releases, rather than this nonsense fetish every media outlet seems to have with Super Saiyan Goku. Their DBZ and original DB covers are fantastic, GT's pretty alright, but the movies deserve better than this. It's bad enough there'll probably be zero extras.
Last edited by Conan the SSJ on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14 years later

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:56 pm

So theres going to be a SSj on the cover of the first two Z movies?

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:51 pm

Kid Trunks wrote:So theres going to be a SSj on the cover of the first two Z movies?
Looks that way. But hopefully it's just a placeholder, which I doubt it is.
You must have faith in who you are.

ETC123
Banned

Post by ETC123 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:46 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:The Pioneer and UUE/First Strike covers outclass this crap by far IMO, and the latter was pure photoshopped work. Damn does this scream laziness on Toei's part, they could've just as efficiently formatted the original movie posters on the covers as FUNi have done for some of their single releases, rather than this nonsense fetish every media outlet seems to have with Super Saiyan Goku. The DBZ and original DB covers are fantastic, GT's pretty alright, but the movies deserve better than this. It's bad enough there'll probably be zero extras.
Yeah gotta jerk off to the R1 releases at any possible moment given theres even a slight potential of the R2 releases fucking up for once.

You know, considering that these may very well be placeholders (though who knows, you could be right! That post just kinda smacks of the days of "hey cool, but I have my FUNIMATION FULLSCREEN FORMAT HYBRID SIMMON-SAMA SONIC RELEASE)

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:14 pm

ETC123 wrote:Yeah gotta jerk off to the R1 releases at any possible moment given theres even a slight potential of the R2 releases fucking up for once.

You know, considering that these may very well be placeholders (though who knows, you could be right! That post just kinda smacks of the days of "hey cool, but I have my FUNIMATION FULLSCREEN FORMAT HYBRID SIMMON-SAMA SONIC RELEASE)
What the hell's your problem? ALL I did was make a fair comparison to the R1 releases' cover-art, it wasn't as if I went all "it's cropped, FUNi's is cheaper, therefore I stay to R1!", yet you make it as if I am, when that could be further from the case. I'm aware I used to have a problem, ages ago, where I'd be an ass here or there in incessantly pointing out pros of the R1 releases, but I learned from that and took Mike's advice in not doing it anymore. I have a right to talk as I wish and I believe I was entitled to speak my opinion to a respectful degree about those godawful covers (comparing them to the awesome R2 DBZ and DB ones as well), just like everyone else. Get off my ass and stop talking as though this is your message board, it's Mike's and if there's a problem with how I speak, he'll let me know.

PM me if you have a damned problem or something. Fuck off, Eunuch.
14 years later

ETC123
Banned

Post by ETC123 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:24 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:
ETC123 wrote:Yeah gotta jerk off to the R1 releases at any possible moment given theres even a slight potential of the R2 releases fucking up for once.

What the hell's your problem? ALL I did was make a fair comparison to the R1 releases' cover-art, it wasn't as if I went all "it's cropped, FUNi's is cheaper, therefore I stay to R1!", yet you make it as if I am, when that could be further from the case. I'm aware I used to have a problem, ages ago, where I'd be an ass here or there in incessantly pointing out pros of the R1 releases, but I learned from that and took Mike's advice in not doing it anymore. I have a right to talk as I wish and I believe I was entitled to speak my opinion to a respectful degree about those godawful covers (comparing them to the awesome R2 DBZ and DB ones as well), just like everyone else. Get off my ass and stop talking as though this is your message board, it's Mike's and if there's a problem with how I speak, he'll let me know.

PM me if you have a damned problem or something. Fuck off, Eunuch.
WAHHHHHHAAAAA

Wah wah. Please, cry and sue me.

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:33 pm

:?

ANYWAY. I hope these are just placeholders. It seems kind of weird to use the same image for all the releases, especially an image that doesn't correlate to the movie at all.

But if that's the case, such is life. It's not going to stop me from buying them... it would be lame to not pick up these R2 singles when I have all the others. But meh.
Aly. Professional nerd. [url=http://vegetas.livejournal.com]vegetas@livejournal[/url]

DB Cosplay 2009: The Great Saiyaman