Kai Episode 109 (15 June 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 109 (15 June 2014)

Post by Hujio » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:03 pm

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 109, aired 15 June 2014

超サイヤ人をナメるな!ベジータと悟空の全開パワー!
Sūpā Saiya-jin o Nameru na! Bejīta to Gokū no Zenkai Pawā!
Don't Underestimate a Super Saiyan! Vegeta and Goku's Full Throttle Power!

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Ajay

Re: Kai Episode 109 (15 June 2014)

Post by Ajay » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:36 pm

Interesting episode this week. A lot of filler was left in compared to the preceding episodes. I don't usually mind so long as it serves the pacing in a positive way but it didn't really seem to do that. Not the end of the world but it didn't make for the fastest episode ever.

Opening scene featured a great track. I have to say, I'm really starting to enjoy this score more and more. Placement has vastly improved; despite not being to abide that disco track at all, I can't argue with the placement of it.

RIP Pui Pui and Yakon!

Can't say I'm excited for next week. Never was a huge fan of that tail end tournament stuff.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:38 pm

A great action packed episode. Editing was pretty much spot on - I'm becoming more and more convinced as the weeks go by, that these last 3 or 4 episodes are from the "International Version" and they were cutting back the earlier episodes where not much was going on, so as they could trim 10 episodes off of the total count.

Maybe Fuji can't guarantee them 69 weeks of programming, so they cut back to under 60 or something?.
Anyhow, I'm loving Sumitomo's score, and can't wait to see how they edit all of the tournament final into one episode.

Bring on next week!

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:16 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:I'm becoming more and more convinced as the weeks go by, that these last 3 or 4 episodes are from the "International Version"
Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but isn't that kind of always what's been happening? Some episodes of the "Fuji TV Version" are going to mirror the "International Version", and some are going to move quicker.

Maybe as a person who hasn't actually sat down and watched this trainwreck, I shouldn't be talking, but oh well.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:41 pm

Well I´ll be damned, this episode was GREAT. The music placement was great. and DAMN CHOIRS, Sumitomo went Sagisu on the first track. His score is shaping up amazingly. It has character, substance, amazing blend of orchestra and guitars and contemporary drums on the first track. I really need the cd now XD
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:59 pm

-melts- i may actually import the soundtrack. I'm loving the actual sound quality of the music in comparison to previous Kai. And I'm starting to understand the love for Nozawa more and more lately.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:16 am

Black_Liger wrote:The music placement was great.
I STRONGLY disagree. The two tracks which play when Goku blows up Yakon were laughably out of place that the entire scene almost felt like a gag. What the hell is that fanfare? Is this still a part of the Tenkaichi-Budokai?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:28 am

kei17 wrote:
I STRONGLY disagree. The two tracks which play when Goku blows up Yakon were laughably out of place that the entire scene almost felt like a gag. What the hell is that fanfare? Is this still a part of the Tenkaichi-Budokai?
Yeah, I felt the same way when I watched it.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:43 am

I do agree with kei17. Almost 80% of this episode's music placement was out of place. I only liked the very 1st one when Pui Pui attacks Vegeta.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:55 am

Does the current composer have anything to do with DBZ Gaiden's music {From the old OVA}? The style sounds similar @_@

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:40 pm

Actually, I think the soundtrack you're referring to (from the old Plan to Eliminate the Saiyans) was actually by Kenji Yamamoto, the guy who was doing music for the previous seasons of Kai before he got canned for stealing others' songs.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:46 pm

Puto wrote:Actually, I think the soundtrack you're referring to (from the old Plan to Eliminate the Saiyans) was actually by Kenji Yamamoto, the guy who was doing music for the previous seasons of Kai before he got canned for stealing others' songs.
:shock: Really ? So, If you're right...it means that he's the man behind "Battle Commando"...That would be awesome. :YAMAMOTO FANBOY:

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:52 pm

Well, I'm assuming it's him because it's all remixes of the NES game's songs, and he was the go-to guy for game songs.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:54 pm

Puto wrote:Actually, I think the soundtrack you're referring to (from the old Plan to Eliminate the Saiyans) was actually by Kenji Yamamoto, the guy who was doing music for the previous seasons of Kai before he got canned for stealing others' songs.
No, it was Keiju Ishikawa. Super Butoden on Super Famicom was the first video game that Yamamoto was involved with.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:59 pm

kei17 wrote:
I think you´re exaggerating but to each his own, I might be able to understand where are you coming from, the track that plays when Goku announces he´s coming back to earth would have fitted much more.

In response to those who say the placement was mostly off... um.. No. I might understand the part that Kei said, but everything else was fine and fitting. Especially the first track. Let it go guys, not everything is gonna suck in kai. :lol:
Last edited by Black_Liger on Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:03 pm

The celebration music was horrendously misplaced but the disco track was fine. I guess it depends on how you view that Yakon fight. I always thought it was absurd enough to be kinda funny. Swallowing the Super Saiyan power and then swallowing so much that you explode...not exactly what I consider serious.

Outside of that, I don't see the issue with the placement.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:25 pm

I thought the placement of the soundtrack was wonderful. I thoroughly enjoyed the episode, and I haven't even watched it with subtitles yet!

I do think some folks are being a bit too harsh with the music though. Or that's just the taste with a lot of people here I would suppose. The music just works for me, mainly because it is so different from the Yamamoto OST but still something quite distinct and pleasing to my ears. And this is coming from someone who didn't think they would enjoy this new OST. But great stuff so far!
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:57 pm

The first track with choir was unfitting, too. It's not a serous enough or climax scene that a very grave sounding piece like it would fit. Also, the brave and cheerful sounding track during the fight against Yakon was unnecessarily dramatic for the scene.

In short, I didn't like the the music placement on this episode at all. I feel sorry for the editors and the cast because their efforts are miserably butchered by just one man's incompetence.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:31 pm

kei17 wrote:The first track with choir was unfitting, too. It's not a serous enough or climax scene that a very grave sounding piece like it would fit. Also, the brave and cheerful sounding track during the fight against Yakon was unnecessarily dramatic for the scene.

In short, I didn't like the the music placement on this episode at all. I feel sorry for the editors and the cast because their efforts are miserably butchered by just one man's incompetence.
That´s your opinion man, it´s not that bad. :) But well, the opening track was serious, but it was still good. it´s not like the terrible placement in Z where the ginyu force was introduced and a serious battle theme played... if you defend that, I can defend the opening scene in this episode because it was still action :D

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:48 pm

The music was great in this one, and well-placed in my opinion as it really underlined the emotion of each scene.
You can hear the drastic difference of tone between Vegeta and Goku's fights.

The "techno" music doesn't bother me as it feels well with Goku's wacky-funny behavior/strategy against Yakon, and I don't see a problem with the fanfare either after his victory, since it's much like when Superman has yet again saved civilians from a crash or something and flies away being applauded. It just fits the "look at our hero shine and save the day again!" feeling of the moment.

The epic music at the beginning can be considered a bit much, but I think it fits well if you consider it's for Vegeta, not for the enemy.
You see the ruthless, epic prince in action, I think the track has that epic, majestic feel that goes with "watch the prince of all princes being deadly".

So, on the contrary of some of you but also in line with some other of you, I found the music to be amazing and well-placed, no track shocked me as "wrong" in either sense and all of them made me feel the mood of the moment with a lot of efficiency.