Was the term Frost Demon used in the series before Xenoverse

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Was the term Frost Demon used in the series before Xenov

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:35 am

Like I once heard someone say, calling the species as "Freeza race" is like calling Germans "Hitler race".
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:02 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Like I once heard someone say, calling the species as "Freeza race" is like calling Germans "Hitler race".
Well...it's not entirely a wrong comparison, kinda-sorta, but 1) while we knew of the entire German race before we knew of Hitler, we've only been privy to one member of Freeza's race in 'canon' prior to that new one in Super (who knows, maybe we'll get a race name there?), and 2) while one is entirely fictional, the other was a real life person who committed multiple atrocities, so pretty big differences there overall.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:49 pm

Zelvin wrote:As far as the naming foes, well "Frost" in Japanese is "Shimo". And demon is read as "Oni". Varitions exist so it's sometimes hard to pin down. Anyway, I feel that if it were to be used in Japanese it may be something like "Shioni-jin". Shi from "shimo", Frost, Oni from "Oni" meaning demon, and of course jin meaning "people". I think it could work, but that's just me having thoughts.
As mentioned above, the Japanese translation of DB Multiverse translates "Frost Demon" as フロスト族/Furosuto Zoku, "Frost Clan" (using the English word "frost").
As far as being called a Frost Demon in Xenoverse, Cell does call you that when playing as the race and you have him as a Mentor. He'll say it in mission and as one of his random dialogues when talking to him in Toki Toki City.
That was a reference added in the English localization. In Japanese, Cell just vaguely refers to "your race".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:55 pm

Herms wrote: As mentioned above, the Japanese translation of DB Multiverse translates "Frost Demon" as フロスト族/Furosuto Zoku, "Frost Clan" (using the English word "frost").

That was a reference added in the English localization. In Japanese, Cell just vaguely refers to "your race".
of course english said Frost Demon, not Frost Clan. And I wasn't looking at it through how English words spoken in Japanese dialect would sound. I was using the actual translated word in Japanese. I wasn't going for Pun Factor.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:40 pm

The term was used a lot on DBZ fan games made on BEYOND a good couple 5-10 years ago. I would assume that the term pre-dates even those though. I've also played a MUD(Multi-User Dungeon) game where they were called that.

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:57 pm

Several points of interest on this topic:
1. Googling ' "Frost Demons" dragon ball 'with the time set to 2009 at the latest (since the name shows up in DBM in 2010) doesn't seem to show any credibly old site (some newer comments on older pictures on DA and recently edited pages on DB Wikia blurr the result).
2. The French version (original for DBM) is "démons du froid". The earliest appearance that can be credibly established is early 2007 in Salagir's fanfic Hanasia (the one that is now slowly being republished on DBM site). Supposedly this fanfic was started in 2005 but Internet Archive only has a version from 2007 so nothing earlier can't be established.
3. The funniest part: the French version of Xenoverse actually doesn't call them "démons du froid" at all. They are "démons du givre" - the meaning being the same but the word choice somewhat unexpected. Source:

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:05 am

Tzigi wrote:Several points of interest on this topic:
1. Googling ' "Frost Demons" dragon ball 'with the time set to 2009 at the latest (since the name shows up in DBM in 2010) doesn't seem to show any credibly old site (some newer comments on older pictures on DA and recently edited pages on DB Wikia blurr the result).
2. The French version (original for DBM) is "démons du froid". The earliest appearance that can be credibly established is early 2007 in Salagir's fanfic Hanasia (the one that is now slowly being republished on DBM site). Supposedly this fanfic was started in 2005 but Internet Archive only has a version from 2007 so nothing earlier can't be established.
3. The funniest part: the French version of Xenoverse actually doesn't call them "démons du froid" at all. They are "démons du givre" - the meaning being the same but the word choice somewhat unexpected. Source:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but froid and givre aren't totally synonymous. Froid refers to something being "cold" or "chilly" whereas givre means "frost". Interestingly this points towards the French version being based off the English version and their translation-choice obviously meant that the original reference to DB Multiverse went unnoticed.
これはシグネチャではない
Personal blog - myriadleaves.eu

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:03 am

Shoryuken wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but froid and givre aren't totally synonymous. Froid refers to something being "cold" or "chilly" whereas givre means "frost". Interestingly this points towards the French version being based off the English version and their translation-choice obviously meant that the original reference to DB Multiverse went unnoticed.
You are totally right about the meaning and - in all likelihood - about the French version being based on the English version. I simply meant that the meaning doesn't really change (froid is simply a larger term). I wonder what happened in other versions of Xenoverse - cross-checking it with DBM will be simple enough.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:09 pm

Tzigi wrote: 2. The French version (original for DBM) is "démons du froid". The earliest appearance that can be credibly established is early 2007 in Salagir's fanfic Hanasia (the one that is now slowly being republished on DBM site). Supposedly this fanfic was started in 2005 but Internet Archive only has a version from 2007 so nothing earlier can't be established.
If you type in "frost demon dbz" in Google and put the search range between Jan 2000 and Jan 2005 you can find even earlier instances of Frost Demon actually. Google has this link dated at 15 Aug 2003. And the second link was a story called "Raising up a Frost Demon Legacy (A DBZ Kuriza story). By JadeyCreepy" which apparently appeared at the 1 Feb 2001. Though it seems the link doesn't work any more as it redirects somewhere else on the site.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:42 pm

Shoryuken wrote:
Tzigi wrote:Several points of interest on this topic:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but froid and givre aren't totally synonymous. Froid refers to something being "cold" or "chilly" whereas givre means "frost". Interestingly this points towards the French version being based off the English version and their translation-choice obviously meant that the original reference to DB Multiverse went unnoticed.
My french is not the best, but I think froid means frost and givre literally ice, the literal translation being Demons of the Frost or Demons of Ice (Frost Demons or Ice Demons being perfectly valid adaptations).
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:54 pm

I think this has become even more confusing since in Super, the name of the Universe 6 fighter's name IS Frost. So, if we use Frost Demon as a term, should it be a reference to Frost or the other way around?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:09 am

Hitiro wrote:If you type in "frost demon dbz" in Google and put the search range between Jan 2000 and Jan 2005 you can find even earlier instances of Frost Demon actually. Google has this link dated at 15 Aug 2003.
That page being up as early as 2003, doesn't prove the term was around that early, just like the deviantart example from earlier, where people can post comments in 2016 mentioning "Frost Demons" on a page that was put up before Multiverse used the term.

To prove my point take a good look at the bottom right corner of that Coola card.

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:21 am

Hitiro wrote:If you type in "frost demon dbz" in Google and put the search range between Jan 2000 and Jan 2005 you can find even earlier instances of Frost Demon actually. Google has this link dated at 15 Aug 2003. And the second link was a story called "Raising up a Frost Demon Legacy (A DBZ Kuriza story). By JadeyCreepy" which apparently appeared at the 1 Feb 2001. Though it seems the link doesn't work any more as it redirects somewhere else on the site.
Well, no. Both are from 2015 with those dates you give being based on different parts of the respective sites. The card has already been discussed by dbgtFO, the fanfic states quite clearly that it was first published on 01.07.2015.
Draconic wrote: My french is not the best, but I think froid means frost and givre literally ice, the literal translation being Demons of the Frost or Demons of Ice (Frost Demons or Ice Demons being perfectly valid adaptations).
I guess wiktionary will be better than I: froid and givre.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:37 am

Clarifying what has already been said, there was a Namco-Bandai Europe pre-release video in which two people are playing the Cell arc story mode, and one of the speakers says that they asked a Japanese contact (I have forgotten who, Namco-Bandai, maybe) if they had a name for Freeza's race, were told that they did not, so they picked Frost Demons for international version. They mention vaguely where they picked up the term, but once again I forget where, but from their accents I would guess the French fans. I cannot seem to find it now.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada