Character Development in Dragonball?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:29 am

Captain Awesome wrote:I recently picked up the Majin Vegeta episodes, so I'll have to switch the audio track over, I'm yet to hear them, I'm assuming you're talking about Vegeta trashing the Tenkaichi Budokai and confronting Goku?
Yes, and the parts where they stop and talk during the fight.

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:55 pm

Casual Matt wrote:
SaiyaMel wrote:I've heard many say Goku never changed (character wise) during the duration of the series... i think that's BS. he doesn't change as much as for example Piccolo or Vegeta...but to say his character hasn't developed is stretching it.
Well, Goku's just one of those characters who was pretty much entirely developed in Pre-Z Dragon Ball. And we all know he had a crapton of development there. I mean there's only so much a character can grow.
There are some minor differences between Goku at the start of Z and him in the Buu arc in that he becomes like all-knowing, starts to gain more pride in his Saiyan heritage, not quite as gullible and more willing to kill off enemies when there's no point of letting them live..

I've heard some say that they find his character more likable in the earlier parts of the series than in the Buu saga. while i like him throughout,, i see what they mean..
Just Saiyan...

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Character Development in Dragonball?

Post by Snail » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:02 pm

VargVikernes wrote:Earlier I read a review of Dragonball Z(Funi dub, I assume). It gave it a 1.0 out of 10. In this review, it stated that Dragonball Z had little to no character development throughout the series. I thought about it, and actually agreed with it slightly. Does anyone else agree with this? I mean, I love Dragonball as much as the rest of you here, but the character development thing just seemed true to me.
Where is this review? Who made this review? The person must've been an ignorant s.o.b who probably watched a portion of a certain saga, and made assumptions about the entire series as a whole.

VargVikernes

Post by VargVikernes » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:41 pm

Snail wrote:
VargVikernes wrote:Earlier I read a review of Dragonball Z(Funi dub, I assume). It gave it a 1.0 out of 10. In this review, it stated that Dragonball Z had little to no character development throughout the series. I thought about it, and actually agreed with it slightly. Does anyone else agree with this? I mean, I love Dragonball as much as the rest of you here, but the character development thing just seemed true to me.
Where is this review? Who made this review? The person must've been an ignorant s.o.b who probably watched a portion of a certain saga, and made assumptions about the entire series as a whole.
Here's the link to said review http://www.animeinfo.org/reviews/dbz/kalax-sor.html

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:03 pm

Childish? I guess... it kind of starts out that way (tho I don't think doctor slump humor is that childish I guess), but tearing of limbs, piercing bodies with horns and energy blasts. I guess it's not all THAT mature on a lot of levels, but childish is just a bit off with all the violence in Dragonball.

But yeah some parts are kind of slap in the face childish (some of the dialogue in the dub makes it even worse). Anyone else think that Dragonball IS childish? Would love to hear what you have to say :p

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:06 pm

VargVikernes wrote:Here's the link to said review http://www.animeinfo.org/reviews/dbz/kalax-sor.html
Ha. And here I was thinking it was something reputable.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:57 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
VargVikernes wrote:Here's the link to said review http://www.animeinfo.org/reviews/dbz/kalax-sor.html
Ha. And here I was thinking it was something reputable.
Nah. Whenever I hear of a review rating DBZ as 1/10, I know it's just some "rinky dink site or blog" written by some otaku moron. XD So I never get too bothered by it or check the said site.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:55 pm

Well, I read his review and not just as a DragonBall fan and I think that guy had good points but came off pretty bitter. You could almost hear him screaming at the scream towards the end. :roll: I'll give him credit for adding a few numbers here and there for good measure but I can't say I agree with his opinion on the matter.
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:11 pm

Jerseymilk wrote: Nah. Whenever I hear of a review rating DBZ as 1/10, I know it's just some "rinky dink site or blog" written by some otaku moron. XD So I never get too bothered by it or check the said site.
Exactly, scores like that are usually from lonely elitist assholes that have nothing better to do then condemn a popular anime because they are "real" anime fans, and everyone else is a poser.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:44 pm

worldmonsters wrote:Childish? I guess... it kind of starts out that way (tho I don't think doctor slump humor is that childish I guess), but tearing of limbs, piercing bodies with horns and energy blasts. I guess it's not all THAT mature on a lot of levels, but childish is just a bit off with all the violence in Dragonball.

But yeah some parts are kind of slap in the face childish (some of the dialogue in the dub makes it even worse). Anyone else think that Dragonball IS childish? Would love to hear what you have to say :p
Not to mention... you know, it is technically a children's cartoon. So it's hard to bitch about it being childish.

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:02 am

ALL the major character had character development... hell they get older and change with age....

I mean, if they never changed, Goku would still be a kid, Bulma would still be a brat, Yamcha a desert bandit, Ten Shin Han, Piccolo and Vegeta woulda still been bad guys and most likely died in their respective sagas (and I mean permamently like Freeza and Cell).

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:10 am

Coola Yagami wrote:Bulma would still be a brat
I thought you were arguing that the characters changed? :P

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:21 am

Rocketman wrote:

LMAO well.... she's.... somewhat less of a brat after having 2 kids.... right..? uh.... right....???

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:59 am

Rocketman wrote:
Nah, Bulma's just bitchy in the Namek Saga onward. She stopped being a brat around the time Gohan was kidnapped.

EDIT: *Nearly dies of laughter*

Ok, so, I decided to look at the review, and saw he mentioned Eva and Trigun. So I checked to see and, yes, he's got reviews for both. Didn't read the Trigun review, but I did read his Eva one and it's just as painful to read as his DBZ review for just about the same reasons.
With its release, the anime industry was changed forever. Not only that, but the fan base was changed forever.
He is picked up by Misato Katsuragi, an older, very beautiful woman (swoon),
One thing especially disliked is the lack of good artwork and animation is the last two episode (not bad, but not Gainax level), because of a problem with the Gainax budgest.
One problem fans do find with the series is the poorly-budgeted ending, which used many regurgitated scene, heavy existentialist monologues, but still a touching ending. Still, this is remedied by the later released of the 'true' ending, End of Evangelion (EoE), the masterpiece to end a masterpiece.
*COUGH*

Sorry, sorry, I know this is rather off-topic but it's just... oi.

*EHEM*

On to the actual topic again, so that this post isn't 95% off-topic-ness.

What I find most sad about his review (the DBZ one) is this part:
Characters are introduced from the start as being either "good" or "bad"; likewise, the personalities and traits of the main characters stubbornly refuse to change,
Because you can tell, even though he claims to have seen 120 episodes, he's probably only seen 5. Otherwise he'd know all about Yamcha, Chaotzu, Tien, Piccolo, and Vegeta 'switching sides' and becoming good-guys. He'd also know that Goku went from "Grr! You killed Krillin, now you die!" to "Grr! You killed Krillin, but I'll give you a second chance!"

It's just... laughably sad.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:42 am

I dunno he did put up some decent points, as much as I love Dragonball I'll be the first to admit it isn't the best anime out there. That series is actually far from it.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:56 pm

Lets see, in DBZ?

Gohan
-starts off very unsure of himself, slowly matures

Vegeta
-probably the most complex character in the series. Has an ego problem and has issues trusting people. He's the one character that changes the most

Piccolo
- went from evil to good thanks to bonding with gohan

Sure the series doesnt have as much character focus as say Naruto or One Piece, but to say there's none is being ignorant.

And the guy deserves no credibility for calling EVA the greatest anime of all time

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:00 pm

Xyex wrote:He'd also know that Goku went from "Grr! You killed Krillin, now you die!" to "Grr! You killed Krillin, but I'll give you a second chance!"
That sounds more like character retardation than character development.

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:10 pm

Once the initial rage had died down, he did not want to murder an enemy that could no longer defend themself. There is nothing retarded about that.
I dunno he did put up some decent points, as much as I love Dragonball I'll be the first to admit it isn't the best anime out there. That series is actually far from it.
The hell its not.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:21 pm

Victator Supreme wrote:Once the initial rage had died down, he did not want to murder an enemy that could no longer defend themself. There is nothing retarded about that.
He didn't have any trouble murdering his way through Dragonball. 8)

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:36 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Victator Supreme wrote:Once the initial rage had died down, he did not want to murder an enemy that could no longer defend themself. There is nothing retarded about that.
He didn't have any trouble murdering his way through Dragonball. 8)
He never killed in a fight where there was another option. Certainly not where a foe begged for mercy. It was always kill or be killed.