DragonBall Z Season 4 Set...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJToreto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJToreto » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:02 pm

Freeza93 wrote:
SSJToreto wrote:
The Time Traveller wrote:I can't really tell the difference between the DBox and Season box, I need to see more comparisons. Some details come out very High Deff, but if it's a blurry movement you can't see those details at all, it might be because of my PAL TV, I experience similar problems while watching other US English only shows like Tenchi Universe and Mobile Suit Gundam.

maybe you need glasses.
My TV is PAL and I don't experience any problems like that. And any way the Dbox is NTSC as well (isn't it?) so that would be blurry as well.
It is NTSC. But what does your TV being a PAL, has anything to do with the fact that you can't tell the difference between comparison pic's of dbox and season set footage on a computer monitor?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:08 pm

Freeza93 wrote:
SSJToreto wrote:
The Time Traveller wrote:I can't really tell the difference between the DBox and Season box, I need to see more comparisons. Some details come out very High Deff, but if it's a blurry movement you can't see those details at all, it might be because of my PAL TV, I experience similar problems while watching other US English only shows like Tenchi Universe and Mobile Suit Gundam.

maybe you need glasses.
My TV is PAL and I don't experience any problems like that. And any way the Dbox is NTSC as well (isn't it?) so that would be blurry as well.
Well the I own TV is from the '90s, maybe it's that, plus the guy who owned it before me must have kept a magnet on top of it or something because one corner of the screen is fucked up. It messes up a tiny bit of Colour too.
MajinVegjitaXV wrote:"Proper Zed"?
The Letter Z, pronouced Zed, but Americans pronounce it as Zee, It sounds horrible as "Dragon Ball Zee", but its burned in everyone's minds now, so people even in England say it the wrong way.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:09 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:I'm still annoyed about the Zee instead of Z. Last time on Drrrrrrrragonball ZEE! I know they can't ever change that, True DBZ fans don't say Z do they, they say the proper Zed right?
I guess no one in the US is a "true DBZ fan," then.

But technically, the Japanese don't pronounce it "zed" either; they pronounce it "zet," which I believe is based on another language's pronunciation (Dutch maybe?). I think most other languages use something similar to "zet," since it originates from "zeta." So does this mean everyone else in the world that speaks a language other than British English aren't true fans either? :P
-Rachel

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:31 pm

SSJToreto wrote:
FindKenshi wrote:But, is it really that dark? What program are you using to take those screen captures from the Season Set Funimation? I've seen instances where I've seen screencaps of the Season Set work before, and it looked nothing like what was on my screen, when I actually went to watch them. I mean, it looks great on my Televisons, and even my PC.. not anywhere near as dark or grainy as it is depicted in your screencaps.. how strange.
I didn't take the screens from the season sets. A user posted these on the first page. I just provided the dbox screens.

I used VLC player btw.

edit: Could someone post a comparison from the season sets?

It's the same episode.
I got these sets, and man... Why did the Garlic Jr. saga dub seem worse than the Freeza saga dub? Aaaand Tao is still a general...
But otherwise I really like it.
I have the clip where Trunks turns Super Saiyan uploaded here http://youtube.com/watch?v=4_uPWdqVtxE
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:53 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
MajinVegjitaXV wrote:"Proper Zed"?
The Letter Z, pronouced Zed, but Americans pronounce it as Zee, It sounds horrible as "Dragon Ball Zee", but its burned in everyone's minds now, so people even in England say it the wrong way.
Canadians are scarred with it too.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:24 pm

At least Battle Power Infinity was there...

I thought that Vale was gonna redub the Trunks lines he seriously sounds like a joke.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:25 pm

Trunks sounds re-dubbed in that clip. I have the old disc, but...pulling it out for -anything- dub doesn't seem worthwhile.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:54 pm

Duo wrote:Trunks sounds re-dubbed in that clip. I have the old disc, but...pulling it out for -anything- dub doesn't seem worthwhile.
You're right, Trunks does sound different. I have that episode taped off CN and I used to watch it all the time. Maybe it's just the (better) music throwing me off though.
I always really liked this shot, especially the "Freezaaaa..." line from Schemmel (did Nozawa say it too? If not, that's a neat little addition).
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:12 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:I always really liked this shot, especially the "Freezaaaa..." line from Schemmel (did Nozawa say it too? If not, that's a neat little addition).
No. There wasn't any dialogue.
SSj Kaboom wrote:
Duo wrote:Trunks sounds re-dubbed in that clip. I have the old disc, but...pulling it out for -anything- dub doesn't seem worthwhile.
You're right, Trunks does sound different. I have that episode taped off CN and I used to watch it all the time. Maybe it's just the (better) music throwing me off though.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pWcZY-sDL3A That's the old clip. He didn't redub anything. I don't know what it is but the dub with original BGM makes the dub sound even more goofy than it was before lol.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:16 pm

Okay then. It has been a while, so I guess the different music was enough to throw me off.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:19 pm

^ Don't worry about we all make mistakes :wink:
Last edited by Vekurotto on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:20 pm

Ah, seems you're right.

Oh well.

Moon_Doggie

Post by Moon_Doggie » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:03 pm

Actually, I'm pretty sure he did redub some things. For instance, I think his battle cry before slicing Freeza in half is different.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:09 pm

Well the "Spice Boys", the big one and the one that holds Piccolo back (sorry don't know their names) are redubbed. I think the new voice is better for the big guy anyway. At least it's not a blatantly fake sounding Australian accent anymore. Maron's new dub voice is horrible and quite possibly worse than her first voice and that wasn't all that good either.

I really want to know if some other people think this. Does the dub seem like more of a joke with the original BGM playing rather than with the dub music to anyone else? Because I'm getting the feeling that if Funi used the original music the first time, then there'd be more people out there saying that the dub was terrible since they wouldn't be able to use music in dub vs. sub debates that happen because the music would've been the same. Meaning that the only thing to judge would've been acting, performances, and the script. Does anybody else think that way? Because I seriously think the DBZ dub got worse with the original BGM. Not that the original BGM is bad. It's awesome, and it's better than whatever they play in the dub, and not that the dub was anywhere good before, but now when I'm actually hearing their performances, they sound terrible at least to me. :?

Anybody?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:16 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:(did Nozawa say it too? If not, that's a neat little addition).
Nope, in the Japanese version that part is silent.
Moon_Doggie wrote:Actually, I'm pretty sure he did redub some things. For instance, I think his battle cry before slicing Freeza in half is different.
It all sounds the same to me, and I have selective hearing.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

shenron002
Beyond Newbie

Post by shenron002 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:26 pm

A few quick questions?

Did Funimation restore the missing sound effects in the episode "The Z Warriors Prepare" when Vegeta slams into the floor while training. I remember watching it on YTV with the sound effects, but when I purchased the singles the sound effects were cut.

Next question, did YTV change android 19 voice, because when I watched the singles he had a totally new horrible voice.

I have the episodes taped off TV, and I have compared them recently, so thats why I remember so well.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
"WE GOTTA POWER"

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:32 pm

A few quick questions?

Did Funimation restore the missing sound effects in the episode "The Z Warriors Prepare" when Vegeta slams into the floor while training. I remember watching it on YTV with the sound effects, but when I purchased the singles the sound effects were cut.[/quote]
I believe all the sound effects are in this release. At least on the Dub w/Japanese music track.
shenron002 wrote: Next question, did YTV change android 19 voice, because when I watched the singles he had a totally new horrible voice.

I have the episodes taped off TV, and I have compared them recently, so thats why I remember so well.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Are you talking about the Ocean dub? If so then all of the voices are different than FUNimation's dub.

Moon_Doggie

Post by Moon_Doggie » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:34 pm

Here are a lot of screencaps from Season 4, for anyone that wants them.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Also, here are some booklet scans:

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by Moon_Doggie on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:40 pm

shenron002 wrote:A few quick questions?

Did Funimation restore the missing sound effects in the episode "The Z Warriors Prepare" when Vegeta slams into the floor while training. I remember watching it on YTV with the sound effects, but when I purchased the singles the sound effects were cut.
Funimation never cut any SFXs from the dub. What was heard SFX wise in the dub is heard in Japanese since they used the original SFX track. Now you're talking about the Ocean dub episodes. If you didn't know, Ocean and Blue Water added and altered a lot of sound effects in their versions of DB.

shenron002
Beyond Newbie

Post by shenron002 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:42 pm

Are you talking about the Ocean dub? If so then all of the voices are different than FUNimation's dub.
No it's FUNimations Dub, YTV switched to the Ocean/Bluewater Dub halfway threw the Cell games. I would show you what I mean, if I had a video capture card.

The missing sound effects are on the DVD singles (maybe bad encoding)! Not the aired episodes.
"WE GOTTA POWER"