The Basics of "Daizenshuu EX" Grammar

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:22 pm

The sad thing is that some people are absolutely terrible typists/writers. Two of my roommates are really nice guys, but they have a lot of difficulty spelling and using proper grammar. It's not as if they do it intentionally; some people have a lot of difficulty with linguistic skills. And English happens to be their torture :twisted: (which is a stupid language in the first place, but that's a whole other issue).

My only issue is when people use letters to replace whole words, like when somebody says, "how r u?"
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:07 am

Mattias wrote:My only issue is when people use letters to replace whole words, like when somebody says, "how r u?"
That is one of the types of grammatical errors that Ex is talking about.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:09 am

Mike D wrote:
Mattias wrote:My only issue is when people use letters to replace whole words, like when somebody says, "how r u?"
That is one of the types of grammatical errors that Ex is talking about.
"That is one type of grammatical error that EX is talking about" reads a lot better to me. :wink:

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:10 am

That drives me crazy, but some of my friends are apparently too lazy to type out complete words so I have to put up with it a lot.

Namek'jin Ryu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namek'jin Ryu » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:36 pm

What I usually do when I'm finished typing a post I open up my 'Microsoft Word' program, copy & paste what I've typed, let it help me find my spelling/grammar error's, then proofread what I am going to reply with to myself. This is a sure fine way of helping one catch what grammar and/or spelling error's they missed.

Heh, this post has even been victimized by my ‘Microsoft Word’ program.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:41 pm

Namek'jin Ryu wrote:What I usually do when I'm finished typing a post I open up my 'Microsoft Word' program, copy & paste what I've typed, let it help me find my spelling/grammar error's, then proofread what I am going to reply with to myself. This is a sure fine way of helping one catch what grammar and/or spelling error's they missed.

I use my Google toolbar 'Spell Check'.

Perfect every time :D

Namek'jin Ryu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namek'jin Ryu » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:07 pm

I don't have a Google Toolbar, although, I'm pretty sure any 'Spell Check' will work. Just make sure it checks English, for there are others out there.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:33 pm

EX, do you mind if I put this grammar lesson onto a forum I'm moderating? There's a good number of users there who need to know what's what.

And of course, I'll give you all the credit for writing it up :).
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:21 pm

I don't know why, but for some weird reason I seem to want to make a Spanish version of this Grammar guide (Una Guía al Inglés Gramática) In other words I want to make an English grammar guide which would be a supplemental translation to this one, only in Spanish. That way we can get more people to understand what we are trying to say. Am I crazy for wanting to do this, and should I go ahead and do it? Vegetto, any thoughts?
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:36 am

Don't use smileys as punctuation! :D
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

Sean

Post by Sean » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:48 pm

I disagree about the possessives. Oh well, I suppose it doesn't matter. =(

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:56 am

Hehe, thanks a lot. I was always curious and trying to get, how is it working when someone with letter ''s'' at the end of his name possesing something. That's one of the few things, they won't tell you at school
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

TobiYokoGeri

Post by TobiYokoGeri » Sat May 02, 2009 11:09 am

This is just about perfect :D They should have something like this on every website and forum, especially youtube :?

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Re:

Post by SSJmole » Mon May 17, 2010 6:52 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
Namek'jin Ryu wrote:What I usually do when I'm finished typing a post I open up my 'Microsoft Word' program, copy & paste what I've typed, let it help me find my spelling/grammar error's, then proofread what I am going to reply with to myself. This is a sure fine way of helping one catch what grammar and/or spelling error's they missed.

I use my Google toolbar 'Spell Check'.

Perfect every time :D

I use the one built-in to firefox. However I have had more than one corrected post. My main problems is 1) I have Dyslexia. 2)When I re-read things, I often read them the way they should have been. :oops:

Kuhan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: The Basics of "Daizenshuu EX" Grammar

Post by Kuhan » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:24 am

VegettoEX wrote:( 7 ) PARAGRAPHS
Use the "Enter" key on your keyboard to create new paragraphs. Paragraphs help to keep your posts looking clean, and to separate different ideas. Here's an example:
Paragraph Example wrote:This is my first idea. I'm talking about a single idea in this paragraph, and I talk about it for quite a bit. I talk about this and that, all related to this single thing. It's quite important, and I'm glad that you're reading it. Thank you for sticking with me on this, because I really do feel you'll learn something.

This is a new paragraph in which I'm talking about something entirely different than before, or perhaps a different aspect of the above topic. See how clean the post looks? Things aren't all scrunched together, and it's simply easier on the eyes. We like things that are easy to read! They make everyone look so much more intelligent.
I don't have an "enter" key, but I have a "return" key that does something similar. ;)

Also, If I were to make a forum with a grammar rule, would you mind if I were to copy-paste the original post? I'd definitely thank you for it. :lol:
[quote="Masako-kun / MasakoX as Goku"]This is worse than that time I was in high school! And all the guys called me Geeko, and I was Piccolo's slave, and I couldn't get Chi-Chi to like me... Oh wow, I hit that rock harder than I thought.[/quote]
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/kuhan

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:30 am

Kuhan wrote:I don't have an "enter" key, but I have a "return" key that does something similar. ;)
Really?! I have an "Enter" key. You must not have a proper keyboard. :P
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

ShiningMoon
Beyond Newbie

Re: Re:

Post by ShiningMoon » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:04 pm

SSJmole wrote:My main problems is 1) I have Dyslexia. 2)When I re-read things, I often read them the way they should have been. :oops:
I know you wrote this a while ago, but I wanted to say that my boyfriend is dyslexic so from my experience the (2) there is actually an extension of (1). I proofread his organic chemistry labs for him last semester, and this went so far as him not being able to tell that where he meant to write some chemical name, he actually wrote "porpoise" (that was what the spell-check told him to use to fix his already misspelled chemical name). Like, he would look at "porpoise" and assure me it was the correct chemical name, until I read out loud, "Then 5mL of porpoise was added to the solution." This is a frequent problem and I am a terrible person for deriving so many laughs from it.

Kuhan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kuhan » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:54 pm

Hujio wrote:
Kuhan wrote:I don't have an "enter" key, but I have a "return" key that does something similar. ;)
Really?! I have an "Enter" key. You must not have a proper keyboard. :P
or I was being facetious... My "return" key also says "enter" :oops:
[quote="Masako-kun / MasakoX as Goku"]This is worse than that time I was in high school! And all the guys called me Geeko, and I was Piccolo's slave, and I couldn't get Chi-Chi to like me... Oh wow, I hit that rock harder than I thought.[/quote]
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/kuhan

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:16 pm

"Mellow drama" is not a term.

The word is "melodrama". It is a combination of "melody" and "drama", because it used to refer to opera and musicals.
Wikipedia wrote:The term melodrama refers to a dramatic work that exaggerates plot and characters in order to appeal to the emotions. It may also refer to the genre which includes such works, or to language, behavior, or events which resemble them.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:19 am

Since this has been popping up lately, and Rocketman has also posted a grammar correction, I may as well point out this mistake, which is one of my pet peeves when it comes to grammar.

"Could of", "should of", "would of", etc. are incorrect. They're supposed to be (word)'ve, as they're contractions of (word) have.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash