Toei should promoto Piccolo more as a LGBTQQIP2SAA character

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Toei should promoto Piccolo more as a LGBTQQIP2SAA character

Post by Shaddy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:39 am

Remember guys, reactionaries will only get stronger if we kick them out. You need to be tolerant, even of damaging people actively making other people's lives worse. That's why we don't do anything when people commit crimes. Don't you know that not letting people be bigots is the reason bigotry exists? Checkmate liberals.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13604
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Toei should promoto Piccolo more as a LGBTQQIP2SAA character

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:44 am

Mocking trans people to own the libz. Thanks Jord, really appreciate seeing a dedicated transphobic and homophobic piece of shit waste their time in spectacular fashion. ❤
She/Her | Popsicle Princess

User avatar
KaiserNeko
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1953
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: Dallas, TX United States

Re: Toei should promoto Piccolo more as a LGBTQQIP2SAA character

Post by KaiserNeko » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:25 am

Naw, Ryuji isn't here to actually contribute in any meaningful way. He's trolling.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

User avatar
Kunzait_83
I Live Here
Posts: 2792
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:19 pm

Re: Toei should promoto Piccolo more as a LGBTQQIP2SAA character

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:42 am

A guy with a Trump avatar being a disingenuous troll?

Image
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

User avatar
PhoenixEX
Regular
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:02 am
Location: New York

Re: Toei should promoto Piccolo more as a LGBTQQIP2SAA character

Post by PhoenixEX » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:45 am

I'm going to stick to calling it LGBTQ+ simply because there's no way I'm ever going to remember all of that.

As for the topic itself, sure. If TOEI wants to promote Piccolo more as an LGBTQ+ character they totally should. It'd be beneficial for them as well because drawing in more members of that crowd would also ultimately mean higher profits for them.
One World. 🌐 🕊

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5911
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Toei should promoto Piccolo more as a LGBTQQIP2SAA character

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:03 am

Jord wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:58 am
JulieYBM wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:38 pm
You can have white privilege, not feel guilt about it and also not be an asshole. Heck, you can have those former two attributes and be an actually decent human being an ally to minorities.

Ryuji-Otogi has nothing of substance to add to the discussion. He is specifically trying to bait people and waste their time. Why? Because he hates you. Like a bad comedian he thinks he is funny when he punches down, down upon the minorities he hates so much.
Wow, talk about poison.
Please don't ruin this thread with your negative assumptions, bashing other users. If Ryuji-Otogi experiences his life in a different way, we should respect it and allow him to express it.You could have a civil discussion with him about his viewpoint.
Instead you label him. Labeling people for having a different mindset other than yours is a very dangerous thing. That is what actually creates and fuels hate but maybe that's a lesson you still need to learn in life.
Ryuji-Otogi's post was so obviously bad faith trolling that contributed nothing to the discussion I can't see how you could possibly find something to defend in that. But if it wasn't obvious enough the fact that he has now been banned should be a dead giveaway. Yet you find Julie's response to such an insultingly dismissive piece of nothing to be the poison? I'm all for listening to other people's viewpoints, even those I don't agree with. But Ryuji-Otogi never had a viewpoint. All he had were lowbrow insults.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 9/14/20!)
Current Episode: Videl and Violence in Dragon Ball - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 7!

Jord
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 836
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:13 am

Re: Toei should promoto Piccolo more as a LGBTQQIP2SAA character

Post by Jord » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:09 am

JulieYBM wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:44 am
Mocking trans people to own the libz. Thanks Jord, really appreciate seeing a dedicated transphobic and homophobic piece of shit waste their time in spectacular fashion. ❤
More assumptions and insults without knowing the person instead of taking the step towards a civil discussion and discovering why other people view things in a different way (which is what I was promoting without taking 'sides'). You could simply ask Ryuji-Otogi why he feels that way. Maybe you can convince him of your viewpoint. Maybe he convinces you that his viewpoints may have merit. That's the cool thing about having a civilized discussion. Insulting people is usually not the best way to get them to see things from your point of view.

Instead you ride the insult train. That's the internet for 'ya I guess. A lot of people spewing their hurt onto the world, gaining some kind of strange satisfaction out of it. I wish you lots of love and hope you regain your happiness.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17963
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Toei should promoto Piccolo more as a LGBTQQIP2SAA character

Post by ABED » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:22 am

No, there are times to ask people why they believe what they do, but in cases where it's clear the intent was just to stir shit, there's no discussion to be had.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Bansho64
I Live Here
Posts: 2034
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:59 am

Re: Toei should promoto Piccolo more as a LGBTQQIP2SAA character

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:02 am

Jord wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:09 am
More assumptions and insults without knowing the person instead of taking the step towards a civil discussion and discovering why other people view things in a different way (which is what I was promoting without taking 'sides').
Sides? What sides are there to be taken here? He LITERALLY said-
White privilege is a myth. Carry on.
There are no fucking sides in that. It's either right or wrong. And that is clearly and simply wrong. This isn't a debate. That user is absolutely and simply wrong. There's no debating that and there are no sides to that.

And nobody and I mean absolutely nobody should have to give their time to having a "civilized" discussion around that. I'm actually appalled I'm having to say this because this should be common sense.
You could simply ask Ryuji-Otogi why he feels that way. Maybe you can convince him of your viewpoint. Maybe he convinces you that his viewpoints may have merit. That's the cool thing about having a civilized discussion. Insulting people is usually not the best way to get them to see things from your point of view.
No. Absolutely not. Nobody here should have to educate anyone on why saying something like that is ignorant, disgusting, and downright stupid.

This isn't a power level debate. This isn't talking about characters. This is about having common sense and human decency.
Instead you ride the insult train. That's the internet for 'ya I guess. A lot of people spewing their hurt onto the world, gaining some kind of strange satisfaction out of it. I wish you lots of love and hope you regain your happiness.
That's not at all what happened here and you know it. Playing the "I pity you, I hope you learn" line with a condescending tone is ridiculous.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13604
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Toei should promoto Piccolo more as a LGBTQQIP2SAA character

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:27 am

This whole thread was predicated on mocking GSRM people from the beginning. Jord is trolling all of us by going to bat for transphobia, homophobia and racism with dog whistles and false plays at 'sounding' reasonable while trying to frame queer folks and their allies as intolerant bigots. Fuck him.
She/Her | Popsicle Princess

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5911
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Toei should promoto Piccolo more as a LGBTQQIP2SAA character

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:55 am

I'd be willing to give Ryuji-Otogi some benefit of the doubt. However, if you look at all of his posts in this thread and other threads like it, you see a ridiculously clear pattern of behavior: short, dismissive bait posts. He was obviously never interested in a debate or respectful difference of opinion. He's only interested in treating people like crap. And that, I wager, is why he's no longer allowed to post.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 9/14/20!)
Current Episode: Videl and Violence in Dragon Ball - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 7!

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13604
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Toei should promoto Piccolo more as a LGBTQQIP2SAA character

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:20 pm

Again, if anyone has any LGBTQIA+ community questions--especially about bi/pan or trans topics--I'm happy to talk about them. Anything to get past this fucking awful nonsense with grifters.
Gaffer Tape wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:55 am
I'd be willing to give Ryuji-Otogi some benefit of the doubt. However, if you look at all of his posts in this thread and other threads like it, you see a ridiculously clear pattern of behavior: short, dismissive bait posts. He was obviously never interested in a debate or respectful difference of opinion. He's only interested in treating people like crap. And that, I wager, is why he's no longer allowed to post.
I outright reported the post in question last night. It really contributed nothing to the thread. If a user isn't being sincere then there's no point in being involved on a forum. I think we'll all be better off with only sincere actors.
She/Her | Popsicle Princess

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6059
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Toei should promoto Piccolo more as a LGBTQQIP2SAA character

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:13 pm

I responded to him because, as I think has been made apparent on this thread and many others, there are a lot of people who are unclear on what exactly privilege is, so I wondered how he defined it to understand why he thought it was a myth. He may have been under a false impression of what it meant.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

User avatar
desirecampbell
Moderator
Posts: 4296
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:55 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Toei should promoto Piccolo more as a LGBTQQIP2SAA character

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:17 pm

I'm just going to pop in here really quick to make sure everyone knows this thread is being watched closely. Report the trolls, don't engage.


Anyway, Piccolo's great, right?

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13604
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Toei should promoto Piccolo more as a LGBTQQIP2SAA character

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:19 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:17 pm
Anyway, Piccolo's great, right?
One might even say that Piccolo is ace.
She/Her | Popsicle Princess

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Toei should promoto Piccolo more as a LGBTQQIP2SAA character

Post by Shaddy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:59 pm

This thread is about Piccolo?

I agree though, don't bother engaging with internet reactionaries. Detailed factual explanations won't work on them because they operate off of emotion, and facts don't care about their feelings.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

Locked