Thoughts about international versions and the changes it made?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tian
Advanced Regular

Re: Thoughts about international versions and the changes it made?

Post by Tian » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:57 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:22 pm A quick google search says that Gloria Rocha was too old fashioned, and never had any problems changing things if she didn't like something, and thought Gero sounded bad, like rude or something. She had some sushi for lunch that day and almost used the name Dr. Sushi, but realized it sucked, and then she remembered she also had maki that day, so it ended up being Dr. Maki.
When Toei learned about this, there was no going back, the episode had already aired, so they added Gero to Dr. Maki.

I cant' remember the order of the events, but I do remember that sometimes they would call him just Dr. Maki.
1) The only way that Gero may sound rude or vulgar I can think of would be using the name in a pun with the word Pajero (wanker), mostly due to the strong pronunciation of the G in the dub. For example: Doctor PaGero.

2) Even though Toei is the original owner of the material, they weren't actually involved in the production of our Latin American Spanish dub. Cloverway was the one who supervised the dub.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:47 am

Gero got renamed to Gelo in the Italian dub of the anime, which isn't an uncommon thing per se when it comes to R and L in Japanese, except that "Gelo" is a valid Italian word related to cold temperatures, I wonder if they did that to somehow remind of Freeza (also called "Freezer" here), or if it's just a happy coincidence.

The fact that Gero's lab is on a cold mountain doesn't help. The Muscle Tower was in a cold place, too. Bad guys in Dragon Ball have a history of being related to cold things, either by name or by location, so I can see why this could have been a deliberate choice by the dub team.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:50 pm

I remember these differences:

Super guerrero = Super Saiyan
Mega guerrero = Super Saiyan 3

This was the Spanish dub.

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:20 am

I'm really not a fan of edits being made to any work for cultural differences or even just for marketing purposes. The original is a work of art and adding a bunch of people who weren't there during the original creation to deface it makes it so the end user gets a watered down product. Yes, obviously there's differences across languages but even through translation things can be lost sometime so it needs to be approached very carefully, preferably with the involvement of the original creators. I'll stop here before I start to sound like Skull Face from Metal Gear Solid V, haha.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:38 am

super michael wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:50 pm I remember these differences:

Super guerrero = Super Saiyan
Mega guerrero = Super Saiyan 3

This was the Spanish dub.
Actually this was the French dub in which the Castilian dub was based on.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:40 pm

We do know that but I DOUBT the french dub literally used Mega Guerrero, as in the spanish part should have clued people in.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:15 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:40 pm We do know that but I DOUBT the french dub literally used Mega Guerrero, as in the spanish part should have clued people in.
In France it's called Méga Guerrier:
https://youtu.be/EjYsKdph5Qo?t=203

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:34 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:46 pm

Except for "Wrath of the Dragon"; which was actually more vague than the Japanese title. Is the Dragon Fist attack the "Wrath of the Dragon", or Hirudegarn?
I dunno, I kind of dig Wrath of the Dragon it sounds like it would be the name of some Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan movie.

But "Dragon Fist Explosion! If Son Goku won't do it who will?" is just one of those really fun to say titles for how dramatic and over the top it is

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:04 pm

I know I know already but why do you feel the need to already state that. We know.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:22 am

Double posting since I cant edit this but my above post was meant for Red Not Masenko Ha.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:20 pm

I get the changes, as it was a common thing in the nineties. Being from Portugal, I am used to having our old dub that started from the already very censored French dub and then even added jokes on top of that. Different times I guess.

What I have issue with is, on this day and age, that the "powers that be" of Dragon Ball in Portugal (mainly the voice actors) are entirely convinced that what made the show a success here was those changes and jokes, and thus went out of their way to add those to the Super dub (which wasn't the only reason it was a failure, the lack of care and money of the production also helped) which gave it a very amateur feel. When in the nineties they did have those ad-libs and jokes ocasionally, here they did it *constantly*.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball