Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:49 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:57 pm I. So, I put the video side by side and noticed that they added a bunch of scenes from the series to the RTD version of the movie lol WHY!? Was this for timing because they split it into 3 episodes? I just got through Kaio's first scene and they legitimately added around 30 seconds of Kaio talking to Bubbles and Gregory. So wild.
Yes, because it was split into 3 episodes it needed to fit in roughly 3 22 minute episodes
There are no differences between the Pioneer singles and RTD versions of movies 1 and 2 (besides the intros/outros), right?
Light editing like Gohan pissing in Krillin's mouth and Oolong's panty wish fantasy being omitted but otherwise no real difference

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:01 am

QuakingStar wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:56 pm Somebody tried to tell me that Gohan's trigger made no sense because he never transformed from rage before.
FIrst off.. Cell Saga and Super Saiyan 2.

Secondly.. Gohans most trauamatic moments involved Cell and Piccolo.

Piccolo dying against Nappa while saving Gohan as Gohan watched helplessly, and Cell having his friends and father as well as Piccolo tortured and then Cell "killing" 16 right in front of Gohan as yet again Gohan is too stunned to do anything.

With SH we literally have all of that.. Piccolo and the rest are getting beaten into the dirt as Gohan watches, then to his eyes he sees Piccolo "die" in front of him again and he let it happen yet again and all the trauma and rage from Piccolo dying and the Cell Games makes him snap yet again and he awakens to Beast.

We also need to remember that his first Super Saiyan transformation was fueled by the very same trauma with watching Piccolo die, Krillin die, and everyone get tortured as he stands there helpless. I seriously think Piccolo took Cell Max being a thing as the PERFECT opportunity to use Gohans trauma to wake him up and make him snap again. It worked, and maybe it was necessary.. but it was fucked up.
Very interesting take, sir! 🙂 I should, and I will, watch this movie again sometime!

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:51 pm

Ssj3Engels wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:01 am
QuakingStar wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:56 pm Somebody tried to tell me that Gohan's trigger made no sense because he never transformed from rage before.
FIrst off.. Cell Saga and Super Saiyan 2.

Secondly.. Gohans most trauamatic moments involved Cell and Piccolo.

Piccolo dying against Nappa while saving Gohan as Gohan watched helplessly, and Cell having his friends and father as well as Piccolo tortured and then Cell "killing" 16 right in front of Gohan as yet again Gohan is too stunned to do anything.

With SH we literally have all of that.. Piccolo and the rest are getting beaten into the dirt as Gohan watches, then to his eyes he sees Piccolo "die" in front of him again and he let it happen yet again and all the trauma and rage from Piccolo dying and the Cell Games makes him snap yet again and he awakens to Beast.

We also need to remember that his first Super Saiyan transformation was fueled by the very same trauma with watching Piccolo die, Krillin die, and everyone get tortured as he stands there helpless. I seriously think Piccolo took Cell Max being a thing as the PERFECT opportunity to use Gohans trauma to wake him up and make him snap again. It worked, and maybe it was necessary.. but it was fucked up.
Very interesting take, sir! 🙂 I should, and I will, watch this movie again sometime!
No prob, enjoy the re-watch. I might do that again soon myself.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:39 pm

I'm just tired of transformations that appear with no explanation or buildup. Super Saiyan was teased first as a legend. Super Saiyan Blue is just what happens when someone goes Super Saiyan with God ki (don't know why there isn't a Blue 2 or 3, though). Trunks' Rage transformation, Vegeta's Evolution form, Gohan's Beast form, all appear once out of nowhere without explanation, and then are never seen again. Well, Gohan's beast form might appear again, at least, if they can resist giving him another new transformation right away. Orange Piccolo kind of has an explanation, as Shenron had given him the extra power as a favor. Although if he could just wish for god-tier power, I wonder why he never tried that before.

It's just feels like I have to turn my brain off and just accept that it makes no sense, moreso than I had to do with DBZ. The latter felt like it had internal logic that it kept to.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:37 pm

It feels like Orange Piccolo was a deliberate choice to undercut transformations, as if to say "Don't take this all so seriously".
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:16 pm

I think both forms were meant to parody forms Toriyama has seen before or a self-parody. If you show someone those transformations, their initial reaction is unlikely to be that Toriyama designed them based on previous experience with the series. Orange Piccolo looks like it was inspired by the movie villain transformations like for Garlic Jr and Bojack. Appearing in a light hearted movie and calling it Orange Piccolo makes it seem like more of a joke.

I recall Gohan originally wasn't going to be in the movie or at least a smaller role. It makes sense because Toriyama gave him a minor role in most of DBS. He returned to fighting in the ToP but the manga and anime differed so it seems that Toriyama didn't have much written for Gohan in his outline. I could see Toriyama deciding to reference or parody Gohan's most iconic moment by having him achieve a form that looks like SSJ2 Gohan with bigger hair against a bigger and stronger version of Cell.

Not that I liked these forms at all. They happened so this is my way of trying to differentiate them from similar looking forms. I did like Ultimate Piccolo since it was more of a state than a transformation. It reminded me of True UI in the manga. Some fans were expecting the next level would be crazier or a different color so it was surprising that it looked closest to his base.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:24 pm

Yuji wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:56 pm I really dislike how the games just use the English dub lines for the subtitles. There are script changes and you can tell when the subtitles don't match up to what the characters are saying in Japanese. Would it cost them that much to hire a Japanese translator?
My thoughts exactly. I don't think is that expensive, but they are just lazy to do something that could improve some players experience through the gameplay.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:46 am

TV Tropes thinks KRILLIN was in love with BULMA.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:32 am

Not exactly Dragon Ball-related, but did Shunsuke Kikuchi also compose the soundtrack for the 1980's original Dr. Slump anime series?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:15 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:46 am TV Tropes thinks KRILLIN was in love with BULMA.
There's a lot of false info on TV Tropes, we can probably blame them for a lot of fans thinking Funimation acquired Dragon Ball Z from Ocean at season 3 and continued it for the US market from that point on, because, as we know they did suggest that.
Ssj3Engels wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:32 am Not exactly Dragon Ball-related, but did Shunsuke Kikuchi also compose the soundtrack for the 1980's original Dr. Slump anime series?
He did yes.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:06 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:16 amWhy wouldn't they? It's a movie that was aggressively hated with a passion by most of the fandom (the rest being apathetic towards it or too young to remember it existed)and it was a singular movie from nearly 15 years ago without any sort of follow up. There is zero incentive for any of Dragon Ball's IP holders to have any interest or incentive to do anything with Evolution.
Because if there's no risk, there's no reward. Again, that didn't stop Godzilla (1998) from appearing outside his debut movie. Ben 10's live-action protagonists making a cameo in the series. Ugly Sonic was well received in a different context. I understand that being an excuse to not do something with Dragon Ball Evolution, but they shouldn't be afraid to do something with it regardless.
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:16 amThe like 5 people begging for Dragon Ball Across the Multiverse of Madness will just have to do without
For now...
jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:27 pmThe only interaction worth the time would be the main series cast seeing them and going "Yo what the fuck was that???"
Yes, that's good enough! :lol:
jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:27 pmthe creator despises it.
The same creator who said good things about the movie.

Sure, it was before the movie was released, but come on... I don't think there was a single soul expecting good things about the movie prior to its release (other than him).
ZeroIsOurHero wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:22 pmTruth. The only way the Evolution cast is getting into any modern Dragon Ball media is if they get the “1998 Godzilla in Final Wars” treatment. Have Justin Chatwin challenge the real Goku to a duel, have him get absolutely rekt in 5 seconds, and then just move on.
That would also be amazing! Well, anything they could do would be good in my book. Even "one of the six Universes Zeno erased was where Dragon Ball Evolution took place" would be cool (but then again, Android 17 wished it back in the Universe Survival saga! :lol:).
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:22 am

Grimlock wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:06 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:16 amWhy wouldn't they? It's a movie that was aggressively hated with a passion by most of the fandom (the rest being apathetic towards it or too young to remember it existed)and it was a singular movie from nearly 15 years ago without any sort of follow up. There is zero incentive for any of Dragon Ball's IP holders to have any interest or incentive to do anything with Evolution.
Because if there's no risk, there's no reward. Again, that didn't stop Godzilla (1998) from appearing outside his debut movie. Ben 10's live-action protagonists making a cameo in the series. Ugly Sonic was well received in a different context. I understand that being an excuse to not do something with Dragon Ball Evolution, but they shouldn't be afraid to do something with it regardless.
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:16 amThe like 5 people begging for Dragon Ball Across the Multiverse of Madness will just have to do without
For now...
jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:27 pmThe only interaction worth the time would be the main series cast seeing them and going "Yo what the fuck was that???"
Yes, that's good enough! :lol:
jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:27 pmthe creator despises it.
The same creator who said good things about the movie.

Sure, it was before the movie was released, but come on... I don't think there was a single soul expecting good things about the movie prior to its release
And then afterwards said it was so bad and the experience was so infuriating that it motivated him to get involved with Battle of God's, so his prior comments were so clearly him playing nice to help promote the movie that I have no Eartly idea why you'd even bring it up.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:25 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:15 am
Ssj3Engels wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:32 am Not exactly Dragon Ball-related, but did Shunsuke Kikuchi also compose the soundtrack for the 1980's original Dr. Slump anime series?
He did yes.
Thanks!!!

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:10 pm

The only contexts where Dragonball Evolution would be acceptable to reference in this day and age are either be a split second stock footage cameo in some multiverse sequence, or a pure "take that" against how bad it was. Otherwise, there's no redemption for it. I'd say it's a different situation to TriStar Godzilla/"Zilla" crossing into the Toho Godzilla universe because in that case, though people don't like to admit it, the 1998 Godzilla movie was somewhat popular and successful for a time. It still gets reruns on TV sometimes. Even though classic Godzilla fans were mostly ambivalent to the obvious changes Emmerich made, there was some genuine widespread interest in seeing the American and Japanese Godzillas squaring up because there was still some shared DNA. Zilla still makes occasional appearances to this day (there's a whole legal nightmare as to why he can never be referred to as "Godzilla" ever again, but I digress).

With DB Evolution, there's nothing. I've legit never met anyone who would say a good thing about that movie. Justin Chatwin's Goku has absolutely nothing in common with Toriyama's original Goku, so there would be no great catharsis in having them meet. The general apathy and disdain for the film has not wavered at all. It's true that the entire post-2013 revival of the franchise does owe itself to Evolution's failure in a roundabout way, but that does nothing to hype up the movie itself, cause everyone knows it's garbage.

Not every mouldy skeleton has to be brought out the closet. But it seems some people get off on just knowing that every part of a franchise is connected for the sake of a few extra paragraphs on the wiki pages, regardless of the quality of said mouldy skeleton or the execution of how it's brought out.
Last edited by LoganForkHands73 on Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:14 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:10 pm The only contexts where Dragonball Evolution would be acceptable to reference in this day and age would either be a split second stock footage cameo in some multiverse sequence, or a pure "take that" against how bad it was. Otherwise, there's no redemption for it. I'd say it's a different situation to TriStar Godzilla/"Zilla" crossing into the Toho Godzilla universe because in that case, though people don't like to admit it, the 1998 Godzilla movie was somewhat popular and successful for a time. It still gets reruns on TV sometimes. [/b ]Even though classic Godzilla fans were mostly ambivalent to the obvious changes Emmerich made, there was some genuine widespread interest in seeing the American and Japanese Godzillas squaring up because there was still some shared DNA. Zilla still makes occasional appearances to this day (there is a whole legal nightmare as to why he can never be referred to as "Godzilla" ever again, but I digress).

With DB Evolution, there's nothing. I've legit never met anyone who would say a good thing about that movie. Justin Chatwin's Goku has absolutely nothing in common with Toriyama's original Goku, so there would be no great catharsis in having them meet. The general apathy and disdain for the film has not wavered at all. It's true that the entire post-2013 revival of the franchise does owe itself to Evolution's failure in a roundabout way, but that does nothing to hype up the movie itself, cause everyone knows it's garbage.

Dragon Ball Evolution gets reruns on tv. That's the fate of any cheap filler movie, not a seal of its quality. You are still right that people DO want to watch the less faithful Godzilla. I do know people who genuinely like it. Which is more than can be said of Evolution.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:19 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:14 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:10 pm The only contexts where Dragonball Evolution would be acceptable to reference in this day and age would either be a split second stock footage cameo in some multiverse sequence, or a pure "take that" against how bad it was. Otherwise, there's no redemption for it. I'd say it's a different situation to TriStar Godzilla/"Zilla" crossing into the Toho Godzilla universe because in that case, though people don't like to admit it, the 1998 Godzilla movie was somewhat popular and successful for a time. It still gets reruns on TV sometimes. [/b ]Even though classic Godzilla fans were mostly ambivalent to the obvious changes Emmerich made, there was some genuine widespread interest in seeing the American and Japanese Godzillas squaring up because there was still some shared DNA. Zilla still makes occasional appearances to this day (there is a whole legal nightmare as to why he can never be referred to as "Godzilla" ever again, but I digress).

Dragon Ball Evolution gets reruns on tv. That's the fate of any cheap filler movie, not a seal of its quality. You are still right that people DO want to watch the less faithful Godzilla. I do know people who genuinely like it. Which is more than can be said of Evolution.

Really? Dang I didn't know, I've never seen it played in my country but that may be for the best, lol.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:39 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:10 pmI've legit never met anyone who would say a good thing about that movie.
Then here it is: There is one good thing the movie did that's much better than the series. But that's more of a lore, in-universe thing than production and technicalities of the movie itself.
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:10 pmJustin Chatwin's Goku has absolutely nothing in common with Toriyama's original Goku, so there would be no great catharsis in having them meet.
But that's precisely what would make their meeting interesting. What good would be in seeing two very similar Gokus interacting? The reason why is nice to see Goku and Xeno Goku meeting is because they "almost" literally represent a "Super Goku" and "Toei Goku", especially in the Dragon Ball Heroes anime version where this is made abundantly clear (and highlights why Dragon Ball Super Goku is lame...).

Also, it's not just their personalities (remember, this discussion started with voice actors), we would see a Goku not voiced by Masako Nozawa. If Dragon Ball Evolution Goku makes a cameo with a few lines, it could be experimental to see how Kappei Yamaguchi would handle it. I don't think he would perform the exact way as he did in the movie, to voice a human is different than to voice a fictional character. But be that as it may, we will never know anything until we get it (and because we, by "we" I mean Shueisha/Toei mainly, should start thinking about who else could take on Goku's role anyway, as much as we don't want to...).
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:10 pmNot every mouldy skeleton has to be brought out the closet. But it seems some people get off on just knowing that every part of a franchise is connected for the sake of a few extra paragraphs on the wiki pages, regardless of the quality of said mouldy skeleton or the execution of how it's brought out.
That mouldy skeleton shouldn't even have existed in the first place, but now that it did and was kept in a closet, why not pester with it for a little bit? Yeah, the quality of the skeleton is bad, and it was put in a bad context, but what happens if we put it in a good context? And I don't think you can say something about execution. It's still hasn't been done.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:39 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:14 pmDragon Ball Evolution gets reruns on tv. That's the fate of any cheap filler movie, not a seal of its quality.
Exactly, movies that did poorly do make their way to TV, but mostly because they are cheap for the networks.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:14 am

The only possible cameo or whatever I can see for DBE is in the spirit of like when The Simpsons had a bunch of Homers and one of them was Peter Griffin. Basically a mock at it. Nothing else about it would be interesting, because there was nothing interesting to begin with.

I'd rather see Jackie Chan meeting Goku.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:30 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:06 am I understand that being an excuse to not do something with Dragon Ball Evolution, but they shouldn't be afraid to do something with it regardless.
I don't think they're "afraid" of doing anything with it.

"Afraid" implies that they want to do something with it but are too scared to do so; and I don't get sense that anyone there wants to do anything with Evolution.

They just hate it and want to forget it exists.