Anyone shed more light on this-> Goku vs Superman

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:52 am

SSJ4 Furanki wrote: Although I really haven't read or watched much Superman, I can tell he's the American parallel to Goku. So, yeah... Just stop, no one cares anymore about this pointless argument.
Just to play Devil's advocate- you cared enough to post. The thread title is pretty self explanatory, and no one held a gun to your head to make you read further.

Not that I don't agree with you...

I'd personally love to see a crossover situation. Like Darkseid and Cell vs Superman and Goku.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:32 pm

Or how about the Great Saiyaman and the JLA? :D
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Toriyama Boss
Banned

Post by Toriyama Boss » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:50 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:
LeprikanGT wrote:superman-faster than a speeding bullet and struggles to lift a car
I'm not very familiar with Superman, but I've seen the movies and read a few comic books and from what I've seen he's never had trouble lifting anything as light as a car, except when he is in the vicinity of kryptonite.
Pre-Crisis Supes literally juggled planets. Even Bryne's Superman could throw trucks around without problem.
That's nothing.....

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:09 pm

Toriyama Boss wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote: I'm not very familiar with Superman, but I've seen the movies and read a few comic books and from what I've seen he's never had trouble lifting anything as light as a car, except when he is in the vicinity of kryptonite.
Pre-Crisis Supes literally juggled planets. Even Bryne's Superman could throw trucks around without problem.
That's nothing.....
Well I wouldn't say Juggling planets is nothing, I don't think Goku could do that.Although lifting a truck is indeed nothing seeing as Goku does it in the very first episode as a kid. (Well I guess it was a car but evidence supports he could probably lift a truck too.)
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:13 pm

If not at the start of the series then definitely by the first Tournament right ?

Toriyama Boss
Banned

Post by Toriyama Boss » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:18 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
Toriyama Boss wrote:
desirecampbell wrote: Pre-Crisis Supes literally juggled planets. Even Bryne's Superman could throw trucks around without problem.
That's nothing.....
Well I wouldn't say Juggling planets is nothing, I don't think Goku could do that.Although lifting a truck is indeed nothing seeing as Goku does it in the very first episode as a kid. (Well I guess it was a car but evidence supports he could probably lift a truck too.)
Yeah it's nothing to a guy who can destroy planets and more...

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:23 pm

Toriyama Boss wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:
Toriyama Boss wrote: That's nothing.....
Yeah it's nothing to a guy who can destroy planets and more...
Arguably I think juggling a planet takes a tad more effort and skill then just blowing one up, I don't think Goku could juggle tennis balls correctly.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:47 pm

If Goku and Superman fought (in an environment away from other people) they would probably not be using their vehicle lifting skills very much and be mostly using their planet destroying skills, which they both seem to have.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:58 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:If Goku and Superman fought (in an environment away from other people) they would probably not be using their vehicle lifting skills very much and be mostly using their planet destroying skills, which they both seem to have.
Goku could destroy (on the upper-side-of) a solar system. Pre-Crisis Supes wiped out a solar system... half-way across the universe... with an errant sneeze.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:05 pm

Makes you wonder what would happen if a massive-widespread poll was ever done...
She/Her
bisexual milf

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:10 pm

I do believe what people are misunderstanding here is pre crisis superman was basically a God (The kind that if you made him for a pen and pencil RPG you'd be rightfully accused of god moding).

Son Goku is a ridiculously overpowered character, but he has limitations. Pre crisis superman does NOT.
-Laserkid

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:10 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Makes you wonder what would happen if a massive-widespread poll was ever done...
Superman has a larger fan-base so he would probably get more votes just because he's Mr. Popular.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:22 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Makes you wonder what would happen if a massive-widespread poll was ever done...
You'd get idiots saying one or the other would win, for simply ludicrous reasons. Didn't we link to that CHUB fight?

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:44 pm

Here's a thread on Goku vs Superman: http://lounge.moviecodec.com/topics/31833p1.html

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:49 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
You'd get idiots saying one or the other would win, for simply ludicrous reasons. Didn't we link to that CHUB fight?
Yeah, I did (God is that horrible) but I was thinking of a non-geek pool of voters.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:49 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:If Goku and Superman fought (in an environment away from other people) they would probably not be using their vehicle lifting skills very much and be mostly using their planet destroying skills, which they both seem to have.
Goku could destroy (on the upper-side-of) a solar system. Pre-Crisis Supes wiped out a solar system... half-way across the universe... with an errant sneeze.
I wouldn't totally count Goku out. For example, I posted that pick of Pre-Crisis Supes withstanding the Hulk. But earlier, before he braced himself, Hulk did bowl him over. Likewise, Post Crisis Supes di the exact same thing to Doomsday (braced and took a hit without moving). Though thought bubbles told us he felt it pretty hard...

Now, if I recall, Cell (stage 2) exploding claimed he could take out the solar system. Goku at SSJ2 is a good deal stronger than that. Then there is SSJ3. If we want, SSJ4. If the chips are really down, we could bring Vegeta to his side and fuse.

Dragon Ball had trouble displaying powers in a consistent way. DC has the same problem. But DB would seem to err on the lower side of caution, whereas DC (especially Pre-Crisis) would just go wild.

Logically speaking, given that we know that a power level in the low tens of thousands could easily destroy a planet, Goku by the Buu Saga or GT should count as "godly" as well. Within his own universe he vastly exceeds the pantheon (who's highest gods could easily destroy Freeza, who is probably the DB equivolent to Darkseid).
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:10 pm

Onikage725 wrote:Now, if I recall, Cell (stage 2) exploding claimed he could take out the solar system.
Second-form Cell just said that his self-destruction would take out the Earth. It was when he was firing the final Kamehameha at Gohan in his powered up perfect form that he said he had enough energy to blow away the solar system.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:12 pm

I remember the original article had other American comic characters vs. anime characters. Don't remember exactly, but think it also had Batman vs. Vash or something.

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:29 pm

[quote="Onikage725"]Yeahhh

To illustrate for our readers-

Post-Crisis Superman vs The Hulk

Even though that story was published in 96. It was clearly out of continuity and set during the sixties. Also the "Pre Crisis" panel youy used was during a Spider-Man/Superman crossover that is again not in continuity.

I think this debate fails on a few levals. Number one being they live in two vastly different universes. We have no way of knowing which one is stronger. Superman has been thru so many changes thru the years. their are thousends of different versions. When people talk of pre crisis what they man is 60s Weisenger Superman. Because 70s and early 80s Superman is much more manageble power wise.

Toriyama Boss
Banned

Post by Toriyama Boss » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:01 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
That's only because the 5th dimensional Imp sprinkled some of his magical dust on Superman. This magical dust allowed humans to sneeze away buildings and windows and stuff. Goku can destroy a lot more than a star system Cell was able to do that and Goku is way more powerful. Goku is easily more powerful than superman.