Jimmy Firecracker

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.
User avatar
Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here
Posts: 2755
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:31 pm

Re: Jimmy Firecracker

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:07 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Kingdom Heartless wrote:I doubt Funimation is even aware of the "Mark" thing.
I think that they're aware of it, but are going to use (the H-word) anyway, because that name is more well known to fans.
I don't think they aware it. Because that information is from the 2009 Japanese guide book and I doubt FUNi would ever read one of them.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5407
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: Jimmy Firecracker

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:10 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote: I don't think they aware it. Because that information is from the 2009 Japanese guide book and I doubt FUNi would ever read one of them.
I don't know if they whole book has been translated, but the part concerning Mr. Satan's real name certainly has. They may have caught wind of it through their forums or YouTube.

User avatar
Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here
Posts: 2755
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:31 pm

Re: Jimmy Firecracker

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:40 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Goku100xKamehameha wrote: I don't think they aware it. Because that information is from the 2009 Japanese guide book and I doubt FUNi would ever read one of them.
I don't know if they whole book has been translated, but the part concerning Mr. Satan's real name certainly has. They may have caught wind of it through their forums or YouTube.
I don't think a lot people outside this forum aware of it. So the chances are really small...

User avatar
Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN
Posts: 771
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:21 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Jimmy Firecracker

Post by Budogenkai » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:46 pm

Jimmy Firecracker sounds awesome though.

He is one bamf announcer.
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5407
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: Jimmy Firecracker

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:43 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:I don't think a lot people outside this forum aware of it. So the chances are really small...
I've been to other DB forums. They know about it.

User avatar
Ringworm128
Banned
Posts: 2976
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 am

Re: Jimmy Firecracker

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:36 am

Why dose everyone keep typing the H word? whats so wrong about the word Hercule? EDIT oh the filter. But whats so wrong about Hercule?

User avatar
obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:43 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Jimmy Firecracker

Post by obiwan23s » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:04 am

They're still spelling Freeza with an "I" on any official Kai materials to come out, so I would think for Nicktoons they'll use the H-word. On the home release, it'll be Mr. Satan, as it always has.

User avatar
LeprikanGT
I Live Here
Posts: 3398
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Namek
Contact:

Re: Jimmy Firecracker

Post by LeprikanGT » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:47 am

ringworm128 wrote:Why dose everyone keep typing the H word? whats so wrong about the word (the H-word)? EDIT oh the filter. But whats so wrong about (the H-word)?
Mike...and I'm sure many other Sub fans of the Show hate "the H word" becuase that is a Dub name only. In Japan it's only Mr. Satan and when it came to the US apparently they took issue with a crown chanting "SATAN!". So somehow they landed on the H word.

I still call him H in conversations but in this forum I go with Mr. Satan. It's a bit more to type but oh well.

The same with J.F. I don't know if Mike and Sub fans take offense with it.....or know the name exists at all, but character names were changed for censorship.

@Budogenkai : I totally agree. He is one of the only character from the series with a last name and it is a perfect combination for a name to stick out, it most definitely did with me.

User avatar
Innagadadavida
I Live Here
Posts: 3480
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:25 am
Location: Arkansas, USA

Re: Jimmy Firecracker

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:42 pm

ringworm128 wrote:Why dose everyone keep typing the H word? whats so wrong about the word (the H-word)? EDIT oh the filter. But whats so wrong about (the H-word)?
Because of the obnoxious and obtrusive word filter.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5407
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: Jimmy Firecracker

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:44 am

Innagadadavida wrote:
ringworm128 wrote:Why dose everyone keep typing the H word? whats so wrong about the word (the H-word)? EDIT oh the filter. But whats so wrong about (the H-word)?
Because of the obnoxious and obtrusive word filter.
Don't forget close-minded.

User avatar
Rory
I Live Here
Posts: 2777
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:15 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Jimmy Firecracker

Post by Rory » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:50 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:
ringworm128 wrote:Why dose everyone keep typing the H word? whats so wrong about the word (the H-word)? EDIT oh the filter. But whats so wrong about (the H-word)?
Because of the obnoxious and obtrusive word filter.
Don't forget close-minded.
Whine whine whine, winge winge winge.
Anyway, I never heard of the term "Jimmy Firecracker", was it in Ocean's dub?
If not, this is the first time I've ever heard the term.

User avatar
Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus
Posts: 10550
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Jupiter
Contact:

Re: Jimmy Firecracker

Post by Herms » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:13 pm

Rory wrote:Anyway, I never heard of the term "Jimmy Firecracker", was it in Ocean's dub?
If not, this is the first time I've ever heard the term.
Me too. I watched the Funi dub of the Cell Games back when it first aired and don't remember that name at all.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

User avatar
Mewzard
I Live Here
Posts: 2009
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:02 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Jimmy Firecracker

Post by Mewzard » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:48 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one who watched the Cell Games dubbed by Funi and not recalling the name.

Was it a promotional description? In game bio? Placeholder name? Joke at a con?
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

User avatar
LeprikanGT
I Live Here
Posts: 3398
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Namek
Contact:

Re: Jimmy Firecracker

Post by LeprikanGT » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:13 pm

Mewzard wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one who watched the Cell Games dubbed by Funi and not recalling the name.

Was it a promotional description? In game bio? Placeholder name? Joke at a con?
It's an actual dub name and they also used it in Budokai 1.

Go to the End of episode 174 [The Puzzle of General Tao] on disc 2 pf the brick sets, and Jimmy Firecracker calls himself Jimmy Firecracker at the beginning of the Cell Games broadcast. That's also the scene from the Budokai 1 cutscenes.

Side thought: Good lawd those were amazing cutscenes, how could every game since get them wrong?

User avatar
Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here
Posts: 2890
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:55 pm
Location: Wakusei Bejeeter

Re: Jimmy Firecracker

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:24 am

Innagadadavida wrote:
ringworm128 wrote:Why dose everyone keep typing the H word? whats so wrong about the word (the H-word)? EDIT oh the filter. But whats so wrong about (the H-word)?
Because of the obnoxious and obtrusive word filter.
Some folks like not having to see the names Frie-za and Her-cule everywhere.
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5407
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: Jimmy Firecracker

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:13 am

Rory wrote: Whine whine whine, winge winge winge.
It's the internet. People winge about things. Get used to it.

User avatar
Mewzard
I Live Here
Posts: 2009
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:02 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Jimmy Firecracker

Post by Mewzard » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:51 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:
ringworm128 wrote:Why dose everyone keep typing the H word? whats so wrong about the word (the H-word)? EDIT oh the filter. But whats so wrong about (the H-word)?
Because of the obnoxious and obtrusive word filter.
Some folks like not having to see the names Frie-za and Her-cule everywhere.
But, when it's the fact of discussing actual dub names vs original, it can get annoying to have to alter letters with italics/bolt/whatever just to get a point across. I hate the I in Freeza as much as the next guy, but it doesn't make the world filter any less annoying.

And I sold my orange bricks a while back, so I can't check that scene...anyone got a clip of him saying his name?
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

User avatar
LeprikanGT
I Live Here
Posts: 3398
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Namek
Contact:

Re: Jimmy Firecracker

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:56 am

I don't have sound on my computer else I would have found a link. Can anyone help me out with a clip ?

User avatar
TripleRach
Moderator
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:08 pm
Location: Ohio, USA
Contact:

Re: Jimmy Firecracker

Post by TripleRach » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:11 pm

Let's not turn this thread into another word filter debate.

As for "Jimmy Firecracker," if a lot of fans don't even remember that name (including me, and I saw those dub episodes multiple times), I doubt that FUNimation will either. Not to mention the fact that they're translating the scripts from scratch, and mostly trying to stay away from old alterations like that. This is clearly not some widespread dubism that they might feel compelled to keep.
-Rachel

User avatar
LeprikanGT
I Live Here
Posts: 3398
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Namek
Contact:

Re: Jimmy Firecracker

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:20 pm

Why did you put " " around his name?

I was just pointing out that YES, that is what Funimation calls him and since they seem to be picking and choosing what they do and don't change and at what times to and not to change them, it was a possibility for it to be in again.

If it was enough for a game company to put it into their game, I'm sure Funi remembers them doing so.

If you don't remember it, go back and check it out, it is there. You can't use "I don't remember" as an excuse to dismis something that was included.

Post Reply