Is this real?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is this real?

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:55 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Kame-sennin only made them train with weights after he couldn't teach them anything new, so once they'd gotten strong enough, he just made them do the same thing, only with weights.
Actually, they started wearing the turtle shells right after their very first day of training.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:10 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:Kame-sennin only made them train with weights after he couldn't teach them anything new, so once they'd gotten strong enough, he just made them do the same thing, only with weights.
Actually, they started wearing the turtle shells right after their very first day of training.
I don't quite know the passage of time, but I know that there was the day of running (whether it counts or not is up to you), then trying to find that stone, and after they recovered from that three-day poisoning, I think it was a while until they started wearing the turtle shells. Don't recall it being right after the first day.

But even if it was, my point still stands. It was after a certain period of time, once they'd gotten strong enough.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:27 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:But even if it was, my point still stands. It was after a certain period of time, once they'd gotten strong enough.
No. It had nothing to do with them being strong enough to handle the weights.

The reason, why some time passed was mostly because everyone, but Goku vomited in three days straight.

Before that, Kamesennin had given them some missions, they had to accomplish(finding a sexy young woman, testing their speed and finding a unique rock in the jungle).

After the 3 days were over they were introduced to his training regimen, but without the shells, as a warm up. After that, they received the shells.

And after they got too used to the shells, he gave them even heavier weights, because he had nothing more to teach them by that point.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:42 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:But even if it was, my point still stands. It was after a certain period of time, once they'd gotten strong enough.

The reason, why some time passed was mostly because everyone, but Goku vomited in three days straight.

Before that, Kamesennin had given them some missions, they had to accomplish(finding a sexy young woman, testing their speed and finding a unique rock in the jungle).

After the 3 days were over they were introduced to his training regimen, but without the shells, as a warm up. After that, they received the shells.

And after they got too used to the shells, he gave them even heavier weights, because he had nothing more to teach them by that point.
What? How was it not to do with them being strong enough to handle the weights?

It was still part of their training. Wasn't finding the rock training? If anything, only the morning session was a warm-up to the main training. Once Kame-sennin had taught them all that he could, he said to just repeat it, only with heavier shells so they'd still progress.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:12 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:

What? How was it not to do with them being strong enough to handle the weights?
How can testing their speed and testing their mind and make them find a sexy woman have anything to do with making them strong enough to handle the weights/shells? That's all they did, before really starting the training.
Piccolo Daimao wrote:It was still part of their training. Wasn't finding the rock training? If anything, only the morning session was a warm-up to the main training.
Nah Roshi just tested them to get a basic idea of their abilities.
Piccolo Daimao wrote:Once Kame-sennin had taught them all that he could, he said to just repeat it, only with heavier shells so they'd still progress.
I know, I think I stated that in the post you quoted.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:31 pm

After mucking about with Google trying to find info on all the kanzenban changes, I still haven't found any mention of this. So until such time as someone can provide pictures showing that these changes are actually present in some kanzenban edition or other printed DB book, I'm going to say that this is almost certainly a fan edit and not anything official.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:50 pm

Herms wrote:After mucking about with Google trying to find info on all the kanzenban changes, I still haven't found any mention of this. So until such time as someone can provide pictures showing that these changes are actually present in some kanzenban edition or other printed DB book, I'm going to say that this is almost certainly a fan edit and not anything official.
From Kanzenban 14, page 213 first edition:
Unfortunately this is one of the pages that doesn't have the print at the bottom of the page saying, which page or volume it is. But I'm 100% certain, that this is in fact the Kanzenban version(the first edition of it).

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:25 pm

I own the kanzenban, and yeah, that's what it looks like in mine (which is a 9th edition).

Didn't notice before how the edited version draws in Tenshinhan's third eye. For me that kinda cements my view that this altered version is fan-made, because in the original it's pretty clear that the reason you can't see his third eye is because he's facing too far to the right. The way this person redrew his head and tacked the eye on (along with more sweat for some reason) looks pretty amateurish.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:29 pm

Herms wrote:The way this person redrew his head and tacked the eye on (along with more sweat for some reason) looks pretty amateurish.
I think whoever did it, made it a pretty lousy job drawing his teeth.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:29 pm

Herms wrote:I own the kanzenban, and yeah, that's what it looks like in mine (which is a 9th edition).

Didn't notice before how the edited version draws in Tenshinhan's third eye. For me that kinda cements my view that this altered version is fan-made, because in the original it's pretty clear that the reason you can't see his third eye is because he's facing too far to the right. The way it's tacked on in this edited version looks pretty amateurish.
And I'm pretty sure no one besides Toriyama would be allowed to alter the manga. I really see no point in redrawing Tenshinhan in this scene.

lash
Regular

Post by lash » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:31 pm

The edited version of Tenshinhan doesn't even look like how Toriyama draws his earlier Dragonball characters.
-Otherwise known as The God of DBG.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:38 pm

What the hell? Tenshinhan clothes are horrible, and he is sweating like shit

Last edited by Fox666 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:29 pm

Coming from someone who occasionally edits manga on Photoshop; yeah, I'd say there is enough evidence to tell this was a fan's doing.

Here is a later panel of Tenshinhan with weighted clothing:

Compared to this...

You can see the collar is clearly not as wide as it is supposed to be, this person drew out Ten's left trapezius to appear larger than the original and blackens it as if it were a part of the shirt. If you also look below his jawline, he forgets to shade it in. The lines itself are clearly made thicker than they should be, for that perspective, and these fan-edits would be more apparent if the image size wasn't reduced to make them blend in better.

Turtle Marked Stone
Regular

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:14 pm

Awww shit, detective Conan all up in here. I'm very impressed.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:55 pm

I'm curious about where Titan actually found this edit.
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:14 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:I'm curious about where Titan actually found this edit.
I tried Tin eye http://www.tineye.com/search/76c1e2e874 ... 8a797b1b0/, but it didn't find it...

So yeah, I'm curious as well!

Booney
Beyond Newbie

Post by Booney » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:18 am

I'm getting some MajinTenshinhan vibes from the edit.
He's an artist on Deviant ART with a lot of edits and stuff.
[url=http://superbooney.deviantart.com/]My DeviantART[/url]

Turtle Marked Stone
Regular

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:14 am

I'll eat me hat if this edit wasn't made for some kind of Gamefaqs power debate.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:49 pm

With a little probing, I managed to trace the edit to its original source. Apparently it came from this guy:

http://community.funimation.com/tm.aspx?m=82354

Not sure if that's where Titan found it, or if he stumbled across it elsewhere. Nevertheless, case closed.

lash
Regular

Post by lash » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:32 pm

I wonder why someone would made an edit like that in the first place. Seems pointless to me, since Tenshinhan is shown with a real weighted clothing later on. Maybe the editor was just bored.
-Otherwise known as The God of DBG.