Dai Kaioshin vs. Buu

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aremke
Not-So-Newbie

Dai Kaioshin vs. Buu

Post by Aremke » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:23 am

I just need a quick memory refresher since I don't have this particular reference handy.

Before the Dai Kaioshin was absorbed by Buu during his attempted rescue of East Kaioshin, was it mentioned or implied that the reason was he and Buu were at a stalemate? I can't recall if his power was equal to or slightly greater than Buu's.
"Justice, Honor, Hope, Purity, Victory"

Update: Issue 10 is up! Volume 1 is complete!

Please check out my Yamcha fan manga:
http://www.rmkworld.net/ELSEWHERE/elsewhere.htm

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:32 am

The manga just says that he was absorbed by Boo.

In the anime he makes a surprise attack on him while East Kaioshin (The one from the series) is about to be killed by Boo.
Where's the beef?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:31 pm

El_Diablo wrote:The manga just says that he was absorbed by Boo.

In the anime he makes a surprise attack on him while East Kaioshin (The one from the series) is about to be killed by Boo.
Right. The manga never goes into that much detail, but I do very much remember the anime showing the fat Dai Kaioshin being a bit too much for Buu to handle. And so, Mr.-Poor-loser Buu does what he always does when he's beaten: Absorb whoever's beating him.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:35 pm

Wasn't he described as being much weaker than Buu? I think I recall the only reason he was depowered was because of Dai Kaioshin's goodness and magic.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

MultilangDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by MultilangDBZ » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:21 am

From the original anime, Dai Kaioshin intercepted in good time, stopping Buu from killing the remaining Kaioshin.

I'm assuming that Buu was (quite) impressed with Dai Kaioshin's defending blast after which he decided to absorb him. Otherwise Buu would have just killed him like he did with the first and second Kaioshin's. This would mean that Dai Kaioshin is nearly as strong or equal with Buu, like the third Kaioshin (who got absorbed too). Drawing from the later fights involving the Z warriors against Buu, Buu would express anger or annoyance whenever his opponent is stronger than him. However, Buu didn't express this when Dai Kaioshin blasted him, meaning that Buu wasn't surpassed in strength then.
The analytical enigma. 分析性的不解之谜.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:52 am

MultilangDBZ wrote:From the original anime, Dai Kaioshin intercepted in good time, stopping Buu from killing the remaining Kaioshin.

I'm assuming that Buu was (quite) impressed with Dai Kaioshin's defending blast after which he decided to absorb him. Otherwise Buu would have just killed him like he did with the first and second Kaioshin's. This would mean that Dai Kaioshin is nearly as strong or equal with Buu, like the third Kaioshin (who got absorbed too). Drawing from the later fights involving the Z warriors against Buu, Buu would express anger or annoyance whenever his opponent is stronger than him. However, Buu didn't express this when Dai Kaioshin blasted him, meaning that Buu wasn't surpassed in strength then.
Good points, but just being absorbed by Buu doesn't mean you're really strong. Piccolo (who couldn't have been very powerful comparetivly) got absorbed too, but only for his intelligence. Maybe Dai Kaioshin's magical qualities inspired Buu to absorb him?

MultilangDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by MultilangDBZ » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:13 pm

desirecampbell wrote:but just being absorbed by Buu doesn't mean you're really strong. Piccolo (who couldn't have been very powerful comparetivly) got absorbed too, but only for his intelligence. Maybe Dai Kaioshin's magical qualities inspired Buu to absorb him?
True, though I would personally class Piccolo as an exception on its own and because Buu eventually got to observe Piccolo more than anyone else Buu absorbed. I would say that Dai Kaioshin's magical qualities impressed Buu in the sense that it would raise his (fighting) strength (which is assumed is all Buu cares about since his main purpose is to wreak havoc). Hmm, in any case, I guess it's difficult to pin down just one cause.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:03 pm

MultilangDBZ wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:but just being absorbed by Buu doesn't mean you're really strong. Piccolo (who couldn't have been very powerful comparetivly) got absorbed too, but only for his intelligence. Maybe Dai Kaioshin's magical qualities inspired Buu to absorb him?
True, though I would personally class Piccolo as an exception on its own and because Buu eventually got to observe Piccolo more than anyone else Buu absorbed. I would say that Dai Kaioshin's magical qualities impressed Buu in the sense that it would raise his (fighting) strength (which is assumed is all Buu cares about since his main purpose is to wreak havoc). Hmm, in any case, I guess it's difficult to pin down just one cause.
But also by absorbing Piccolo, not only did he gain Piccolo's smartness, he also inherited new fighting style's to add to his own, also by absorbing Gotenks for power, Piccolo's knowledge of Martial Arts adapted to Majin Buu makes Gohan unable to beat him. So sacrificing some power for knowledge will help out more. You notice Buu's style of fighting changes after he has absorbed them.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:10 pm

Yeah, he was being a little more skillful about it, wasn't he?
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

MultilangDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by MultilangDBZ » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:51 pm

Bejiita wrote:But also by absorbing Piccolo, not only did he gain Piccolo's smartness, he also inherited new fighting style's to add to his own, also by absorbing Gotenks for power, Piccolo's knowledge of Martial Arts adapted to Majin Buu makes Gohan unable to beat him. So sacrificing some power for knowledge will help out more. You notice Buu's style of fighting changes after he has absorbed them.
Sure, I'm aware - though I wouldn't call new fighting styles as strength per se, otherwise anyone would qualify with each person's individual style. Piccolo's way of fighting can be classed into intelligence also, since his tactics and observations are his strong points rather than say, the way he physically attacks. Good point though.