Toriyama Shows Up to Maximum The Hormone's Show, and...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scarz
I Live Here

Re: Toriyama Shows Up to Maximum The Hormone's Show, and...

Post by Scarz » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:05 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:You've got to be kidding me. I thought they were easily the worst, even in his current standard, except maybe Tao Pai Pai. Goku at the end looks... horrible. How in the world is he so skinny? As an artist myself, I find them to be so uninspiring.
... Get out.
Kaboom wrote: 1) They're quick sketches.
2) They're meant to be fun and light in feel, not hardcore detailed and actiony.
3) Toriyama's art style has evolved over the years, notably moving away from the hard and angular look of the Cell and Majin Boo arcs and back in the cartoony direction of earlier Dragon Ball. These look spot-on like the work he's done for such things as the recent Dragon Quest games.
Exactly this.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:24 pm

Scarz wrote:
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:You've got to be kidding me. I thought they were easily the worst, even in his current standard, except maybe Tao Pai Pai. Goku at the end looks... horrible. How in the world is he so skinny? As an artist myself, I find them to be so uninspiring.
... Get out.
It's my opinion... I was just being honest. I don't like it. It's incredibly rude of you to say that.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:22 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
Scarz wrote:
... Get out.
It's my opinion... I was just being honest. I don't like it. It's incredibly rude of you to say that.
I'm just messing, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Unless of course they're totally, totally wrong.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:51 pm

I don't like them too much either. Gonna tell me to get out? Just because it's Toriyama's recent stuff doesn't mean I have to like it. To me, Toriyama's art was at it's peak during the Cell saga's run. Saying that they're quick sketches doesn't help much, considering the amount of manga-ka who create amazing "quick sketches" when asked.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:59 pm

Kaboom wrote:How much do I love that final sketch of Goku?

<- This much.
...gawd dammit Kaboom. I knew I should have done it earlier, I just didn't have the time. Racka-fracka &*#T89ty2...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:55 pm

<- This much.
I would have done the same. :P These drawings are fantastic. It's great to see some super recent Dragon Ball drawings by Mr. Toriyama.

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:53 pm

I also dislike those pictures (the only 'decent' one for me [for me - mind you] is the Chaozu one - the problem here is just that he's one of the characters I don't like that much).

But now, thanks to this tread, I know what has bugged me for some time in recent DB-related media: the relapse into 100% cartoony-ness as opposed to stylised 'realism' of Cell era. This trend is already visible for example in the full page drawing of the first meeting of Goku and Bulma in volume 42. The little Goku there shows all the same characteristics that those drawings here have and that I dislike - skinny and deformed, almost One Piece-like characters (I think that you can already say that I dislike Oda's drawing style as well). There are things that fit Dr Slump well and do not fit DB at all. When I look at this last Adult!Goku I get an instant mental list of illnesses that changed the Z!Goku into this disfigured poor guy. Still, I can understand that people not so attached to the classic 'Cell era Toriyama' style can like it :)

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:34 pm

They should have requested Lunch, to see what would happen.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:53 pm

I figured it was about time for a new icon. :lol:

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:43 pm

He looks like Goku from the end of Dragonball. Not super buff yet and still young-looking.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:58 pm

I really like how Toriyama's style has gone back to the cartooniness and evolved further.
I didn't like the straight-liney style he got post Freeza arc as much. Sure, it was nice and all, but the feeling of adventure was lost.
As an example, the way Oda draws One Piece makes me both enjoy the action, without losing the feeling of adventure in the story.
I believe that it would be awesome if we could see some of the post Freeza arc battles in Toriyama's current style.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:15 pm

Oh wow that was really awesome of Akira Toriyama. 8) My favourite is the Chaozu one on the bass guitar. Thanks Bussani for the translation.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:31 pm

Super awesome, despite being quick sketches, they look pretty damn good. Especially the Chaozu and Freeza sketches, they're sooooo nice. Freeza looks a bit different though, but I like his newer "style".
penguintruth wrote:They should have requested Lunch, to see what would happen.
He would have probably drawn this, thinking that's what they meant.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

chaosakita
Not-So-Newbie

Post by chaosakita » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:23 pm

That's awesome! Maximum the Hormone are really big DBZ fans. They even wrote a song about the show. If you haven't listened to "F" yet, you should definitely do so.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:28 pm

penguintruth wrote:They should have requested Lunch, to see what would happen.
I'm pretty sure he would have drawn 17, because no one would remember who she was. :wink:
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:01 am

I too want Chaozu's sacrifice emblazoned upon my mighty axe... :lol:
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:38 am

Pokewhiz7 wrote:I figured it was about time for a new icon. :lol:
Here's a cleaned-up version http://i.imgur.com/Gl7PM.png Image

And here's the whole sketch re-aligned, in case anybody wants it: http://i.imgur.com/T84po.png

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:41 am

Damn, thanks!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:02 am

<- This much.
You beat me to it!!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:37 am

<- This much.
Damn it, I first saw this thread on my iPod and I finally get home from my exams to find I've already beaten to the avatar. :V
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!