The "infamous" movie poster

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:37 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:The opening for the movie would probley look somthing like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxk6d1Np ... ed&search=
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: why aren't they wearing pants?

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:46 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:The opening for the movie would probley look somthing like this...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: why aren't they wearing pants?
I... don't... know!

Also, that eye in the poster could well be Shen Long's

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:40 pm

There is no way that would happen. Fox would use Rock the Dragon as the opening song.

DBZ-Guy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ-Guy » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:50 am

:shock: Oh my god! :shock:
THAT is the most hilarious thing i have ever seen!

And yeah, that poster has been around for some time. It probably just made by some photoshop guy. I dont think the eye is suposed to be anyone. I just think it is there to make the poster look cool. Besides, it it was real I think they would have written "Dragon Ball Z" on the botom of the poster, not "DBZ".

_Jrinu_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by _Jrinu_ » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:06 am

I've always been quite impressed with that poster ever since I first saw it a while back.

However, in my oppinion the tagline would be better if it said "All you need is seven, and the universe is yours."

That way instead of making a specific reference, it's just making a broad statement about the power of the Dragonballs.
There is no better combination in the world than Dragonball, Cherry Pepsi, and Cheez-Its. It's a proven fact.
The Super Saiya-jin Bobba Fetts: Gym Class Badminton Champions 2006!!
Wii Friend Code: 1134 6268 9135 3724/ Xbox live gamertag: Jrinu
Jump Ultimate Stars Code: 2534 9452 9303

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:30 pm

Where the fuck are their pants?!!?

Anyway... I'd imagine a real live-action DBZ movie would still be about the same level of ridiculousness.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:51 am

Wow, it's seems that everyone is dead set on any Dragonball movie being a steaming pile of fecal matter. I think it's that kind of thinking that stopped them from making it.

To be honest we wouldn't know if it would be any good until they actually made it. There were probably plenty of folks who thought that they could never make a good Lord of the Rings movie or a good X-Men movie or even Spiderman. Who knows they could have gotten a real fan who would have made sure to get it right.

And, I've never seen this before, I think the poster's kinda cool. A little bit of what could have been.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:11 am

Anonymous Friend wrote: ...or even Spiderman.
There's a hyphen in "Spider-Man!" A hyphen!

::Pouts::

Anyhoo, like most everyone here, it seems, I've had that poster's .bmp saved for years. It never left me thinking there was actually a movie being made, though. They'd have to do DragonBall first, before any Saiyans were involved.

Also, I see the scouter in the picture now. It always looked to me like some big, round, bionic eye thingy. But now I realize its a scouter...
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:47 pm

I always thought that poster was of a Giant Ape form.

Speaking of the Giant Ape form, I think Peter Jackson would have a lot of fun doing a Saiyan arc movie.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:54 pm

JulieYBM wrote:I always thought that poster was of a Giant Ape form.

Speaking of the Giant Ape form, I think Peter Jackson would have a lot of fun doing a Saiyan arc movie.
Peter Jackson is a Dragon Ball fan? :shock:

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:54 am

Taku128 wrote:

No, but he's definately a Giant Ape fan.

GI_Judd2287
Beyond Newbie

Post by GI_Judd2287 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:14 pm

Yes, I remember that poster from as far back as 2002. For a little while I thought it was real (even though it looked really cheap). I could've sworn I saw that on Funi's website.

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:52 pm

Duo wrote:
Taku128 wrote:

No, but he's definately a Giant Ape fan.
Oh. *Smacks head* how did I not see that? :oops:

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:29 pm

I remember this poster appearing on www.dbzsc.com when they were advertising their "DBZ Live Action Movie" feature on their front page. It has since been taken down (the image I mean, the feature still exists and still claims the movie is coming out. :roll: ) but if I remember correctly they stated that the image wasn't official art, just something one of them had whipped up in photoshop.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:26 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:I remember this poster appearing on www.dbzsc.com when they were advertising their "DBZ Live Action Movie" feature on their front page. It has since been taken down (the image I mean, the feature still exists and still claims the movie is coming out. :roll: ) but if I remember correctly they stated that the image wasn't official art, just something one of them had whipped up in photoshop.
OH....MY....GOD.... I just remember how in another (long, yet better) forgotten forum I use to go to, how the typical DBZ haters used that site information to claim some sort of confirmation of an actual live-action movie only to simply poke at it. Sorry, but ever since those horrid memories I hated how people bought it, that site, & what it did.......Thank goodness for the Daizenshuu EX Forums.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

MajinMetroid
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MajinMetroid » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:32 am

I'm with AnonymousFriend here, everyone seems so pessimistic! Better to have loved and lost then to never have loved at all, or something along those lines. I honestly don't see what a bad DBZ movie could hurt. And who's to say it wouldn't turn out to be friggin' sweet? Dragonball Z the live-action movie as a glass of water seems half full to me.

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:33 am

Drunken Master wrote:...Let's hope they don't ever make it, and let's hope the fanboys who do want it die from spontaneous combustion.
Here's hoping I don't spontaneously combust any time soon. I think DBZ could be a VERY good movie if handled properly.

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:11 am

I think so too. You only need to have an open-mind about these things. I mean, a while ago I heard that it would be silly because you can't emulate the look but look at what Sin City has done or that new film with Keanu Reeves called 'A Scanner Darkly'. They've managed to give a cel-shaded look to it.
ImageImage
The Matrix was the first real film to give a DBZ feel fight when before that we thought it would be silly, and now it’s been made even better in Kung Fuu Hustle.
So to me I think it's very possible. You have the people on one side who say things can never be done like 'Oh a Spider-man movie will be impossible' and then you have the people who go 'Hmm no, actually, I think this could work' Who are the people who make it happen.

So I'm all up for one.
http://dbz-man.deviantart.com/

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:33 am

A Dragon Ball movie is very possible with today's visual effects..I don't think anyone is arguing this. The problem is lots of us believe there would be too many deviations from what makes it Dragon Ball. Of course, lots of comic book-based movies have small differences from the the books, but they can still be good in the hands of the right people. It really comes down to getting a good writer and director, ones that are both familiar with the original material, namely the Japanese DB/DBZ anime and manga.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:23 pm

MajinMetroid wrote:Better to have loved and lost then to never have loved at all
Try it sometime.