The International Version of the Buu-Kai Arc

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: The International (/Korean) Version of the Buu-Kai Arc

Post by TheRed259 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:45 am

Cold Skin wrote:^ Well, I don't know if we can say they "ruined" everything since that international version was done first
And how do you know that the International Version was done first?
so from your point of view it should be that they actually "improved" things for the Japanese release by creating Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go.
No, I don't believe that Toei loves DBZ Kai so much.
If anything, you can blame the various countries if they don't ask Toei "now that you made new openings and endings, we want them for our international version too, we'll create our own mix of "Japanese opening - international episode - Japanese ending" if necessary", then you can blame them for not doing so.
They will take whatever Toei gives them. They will not go any deeper. Their job is not to clean up Toei's mess.

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:38 am

So, finally checked out the Opening...

Honestly, I... actually really like this song. May not be the best opening for a Dragon Ball series, but it's not a bad song, and I actually like how the music itself flows together, particular how the instruments sound in certain parts. Not sure how I feel about the ending just yet, as I really need to give it a bit more time. Really makes me wish we got a clear rip of these songs.

As for the Opening visuals... I compared the Japanese and International Opening and I noticed something curious... It looks like the animation in the Korean video isn't "finished", so to speak. I noticed on the Japanese intro, the visuals in the shots have been updated a bit. Sometimes it's the backgrounds, or the animation used for the particular shots. This almost makes me wonder if the Opening Animation will update later on the International opening. Heck, it's even possible it could be the remaining shots from the Japanese intro.

This makes me more and more curious about this.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:52 am

Wait, wait, hold the phone...I apparently somehow missed this...so...the International version of Kai's Boo arc, AKA the version that we'll most likely be getting...has...completely different opening/ending animations and songs? ...I...I don't...does anyone else feel a searing migraine coming on?

Just when I thought the whole Kai clusterfuck couldn't possibly get anymore insane...

Also, though it may just be the quality of the recordings as of now and my opinion may change when we get to hear better quality versions...but I can't say I care for the new songs nearly as much as I do the ones we've already heard in Japanese Kai.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:28 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote: ...I...I don't...does anyone else feel a searing migraine coming on?
Oh, for me, it's been an ongoing migraine for about a month now. Not really sure that it's let up much...
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:14 am

My thoughts:

As we mentioned in our update on the main page, the eyecatch music is clearly an arrangement of "Fight It Out", which explains why it resembles nothing else in the Japanese broadcast. Clearly, the international version's theme song is the original, which they didn't have the time (or the money, or the will) to completely excise from the rest of the score in its entirety.

This also explains why the next-episode preview music is so cheap-sounding. As an arrangement of "Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go", it obviously must have been thrown together at the last minute, without the effort for a proper orchestration; instead, Sumitomo's computer-based composition was recorded as-is rather than re-orchestrated with live instruments. The mix does seem to get better from episode 100 onwards, though, which makes it sound less bad, but no less cheap. Actually, I'm really interested in hearing what the next-episode preview music is supposed to be; it can't be any worse than this, right...?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:26 am

I really hope the Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go and Dear Zarathustra make it into the international version later on. Both of them, especially Dear Zarathustra, are among my favourite DB openings and endings.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:01 am

Hmmmm.....personally, I think the Japanese version's OP has the better animation, but I kinda like the international version's OP song better.

EDIT: To expand on my opinion after listening to it a few more times, it sounds to me like the singer for "Fight It Out" is more into what he's singing than the singer for "Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go." As in more enthusiastic. I feel a passion behind his singing that I didn't feel with "Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go." I think the song could have been a bit faster-paced, but other than that, I'm liking the international version's OP better!
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:24 am

Well, I like these songs too. :D

Still, it's kind of a bummer to miss out on what Japan's getting, but then again they're missing out on this. I would've been so pissed had they just reused the other themes from before. I can deal with this, I suppose. Funimation may nor may not dub the songs depending on what their stance is now. Have they dubbed any anime songs since the One Piece situation?

The animations look a lot more fluid, and I expect it probably changes a few times, too. It's 69 episodes, after all. The Japanese version is obviously pulling from these animations while putting a few of their own cheaply made ones in. They've started to become 4Kids. :lol:

I guess, in the end, that's all the current Japanese themes will be. They're on the same level as Rock The Dragon and Gotta Find That Dragon Ball. Created for an edited TV airing. For what it probably the first time in the history of anime, the rest of the world is getting the proper version.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:39 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:As we mentioned in our update on the main page, the eyecatch music is clearly an arrangement of "Fight It Out", which explains why it resembles nothing else in the Japanese broadcast.
The title card music as well, no?

I think people hoping to someday get "Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go" and "Dear, Zarathustra" in the international version should set their hopes very, very low. Toei likely recorded these two songs and said "That's a wrap!" The international version has probably been completed and distributed already. That version of the show already has theme songs: "Fight It Out" and "Never Give Up." Toei doesn't change the openings and endings because they enjoy it. They do it because of the money that comes with their partnership with Columbia. That's why the Japanese TV version is getting so many themes. The international version doesn't have that perk. Even if we did get the songs, I doubt we'd get new animation.

Anyway, I know this sounds shallow, but I don't know if I'll be able to handle these if they really are 100% "Engrish." That's just... why?

Besides, I don't think fans who are bitter about getting the longer international version are going to be very happy hearing lyrics like "Fight It Out 'til the END OF TIME!" before every episode. :P
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:48 am

TheRed259 wrote:And how do you know that the International Version was done first?
I thought it was rather clear that this is the case. The evidence that they made a longer version for international audiences and then cut it down for Japanese consumption is piling up rather quickly.
Last edited by Son Goku on Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
I also go by "veemonjosh".

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:48 am

Honestly, here's my best guess is what could happen:

FUNimation may keep what they were given, materials wise, but for the DVD/BD extras, FUNimation could secure the Japanese Opening and Ending varients and spread them across their releases. This is, provided, Toei Animation, Fuji TV, and Columbia make the songs and animations available for the western markets. Toei Animation, in the past, has bent over backwards to FUNimation before, but it's a question of whether or not this would be possible this time around, due to timing and extra negotiations that would need to be had. You also have to take into consideration that the Opening and Ending animations would not line up with the International episode count, so applying them to the release wouldn't make sense. Probably the best is to regulate them for extras, especially in the possibility that the International has multiple animation variants for the Opening.

Honestly, I'd rather just see the International Opening and Ending be left as is for the United States video and broadcast release, because I feel that we will probably miss the opportunity to get these variations in high quality, possibly textless on top of that. That's sorta a personal thing and it may seem a bit selfish, but if they can at least be able to do the Japanese broadcast Opening and Endings as extras, I think everyone wins in this situation.

Just my two cents.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:52 am

ChibiGoku wrote:Honestly, here's my best guess is what could happen:

FUNimation may keep what they were given, materials wise, but for the DVD/BD extras, FUNimation could secure the Japanese Opening and Ending varients and spread them across their releases. This is, provided, Toei Animation, Fuji TV, and Columbia make the songs and animations available for the western markets. Toei Animation, in the past, has bent over backwards to FUNimation before, but it's a question of whether or not this would be possible this time around, due to timing and extra negotiations that would need to be had. You also have to take into consideration that the Opening and Ending animations would not line up with the International episode count, so applying them to the release wouldn't make sense. Probably the best is to regulate them for extras, especially in the possibility that the International has multiple animation variants for the Opening.

Honestly, I'd rather just see the International Opening and Ending be left as is for the United States video and broadcast release, because I feel that we will probably miss the opportunity to get these variations in high quality, possibly textless on top of that. That's sorta a personal thing and it may seem a bit selfish, but if they can at least be able to do the Japanese broadcast Opening and Endings as extras, I think everyone wins in this situation.

Just my two cents.
I know they won't do this, due to the lack of alternate angles, but it'd be cool if they gave an option to theme songs. (Similar to Volume 4 of Batman TAS, which gives you an option of the original Batman theme or the Batman / Superman theme).
Labeled "International Themes" and "Japanese TV Themes". It'll never happen, but that'd be cool. As for lining up ending themes, they'd probably line up based on the events in the episodes or something.

"This sucks. Make more."

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:58 am

I agree with ChibiGoku. I may not like the international theme songs very much, but I want them if we get the international version on home video. Those are apparently the original songs, after all. If FUNi could get the Japanese TV openings/endings and include them as extras, that would be awesome, but I don't want them trying to edit the TV themes into the international version. No more changes; we've had enough confusion. It's "be consistent" time now.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:01 am

Oh, yeah, they should definitely stick with these songs. Those are the intended songs, while the others are just 4Kids-ish replacement songs. Really good ones, but still. I don't see them including them as extras, cause they'd have to pay for them and everything.

"This sucks. Make more."

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:26 am

Son Goku wrote:
[color=#BF0000][u]Cold Skin[/u][/color] wrote:And how do you know that the International Version was done first?
I thought it was rather clear that this is the case. The evidence that they made a longer version for international audiences and then cut it down for Japanese consumption is piling up rather quickly.
Careful with your quotes, cause I'm actually not the one who said that first sentence you quote! :lol:
As far as I'm concerned, you don't need to convince me, I was already on your side about that! :P

But hey, no problem, those quote accidents happen! :wink:

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:30 am

Whoops, sorry. Fixed that now. :crazy:
I also go by "veemonjosh".

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:33 am

After listening to it, I can't say I'm a big fan of "Fight It Out" or the International Cut's accompanying ending song. Half the time it has the Japanese singer repeating the same lame catch phrase over and over (Dragon Soul this isn't).The chanting near the end sounds really obnoxious, but overall the song simply comes across as rather forgettable.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:36 am

ParkerAL wrote:After listening to it, I can't say I'm a big fan of "Fight It Out" or the International Cut's accompanying ending song. Half the time it has the Japanese singer repeating the same lame catch phrase over and over (Dragon Soul this isn't).The chanting near the end sounds really obnoxious, but overall the song simply comes across as rather forgettable.
That's what everybody first said about the Japanese songs, too. I'd say give 'em time and higher quality too in this case.

"This sucks. Make more."

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:43 am

I checked out Fight it Out a few more times and I'm liking it much more! ^^
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:57 am

OK giving this a second chance. The ending is still dry and I can't remember anything from it. Besides I know it's not Korean. Most of it is English. If they did dub the END I couldn't tell due to video. But I heard a lot of English.

Fight it Out is...meh. I overreacted to it at first. But it doesn't scream excitement or DB to me. I wasn't a fun on the Jpn Kai opening but it's better than this