Dub-Bashing

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:50 am

Hujio wrote: I've found that if you start watching a show in its original Japanese form, it can be somewhat difficult to start watching its English dub. Especially if it is done horribly... like what was done to One Piece :cry:. I also think of the dub as a different perception of the series, but mostly because it doesn't have the same feel. To me the music makes or breaks a series, its what makes the action over the top or the humor even funnier, and I absolutely love the original Japanese score used. So I feel like the dub just never grasped the music like the original did, so it just doesn't feel the same to me.
With me on that, I was introduced to "The Slayers" through its Japanese version but I like the dub. At first it was kind of weird to hear spell names for me without Japanese accents, but it grew on me.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:34 pm

Well it can be done, and I've gotten used to watching a lot of anime in English. It mostly depends on what company picks it up for dubbing. For example, I really like the Big O series, but I've only watched 1 episode in Japanese. I just think the dubbing did a much better job than the original, but it's usually hard to find that.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:01 pm

The first anime I got into through its Japanese counterpart is Digimon Frontier. I actually have quite a bit of difficulty watching its dub. The voices don't sound right, them changing Chakumon and Fairymon to "Kumamon" and "Kazemon" respectively annoys me... Along with renaming almost every Beast Spirit to make them sound associated with the Adventure Digimon... And they changed RhodeKnightmon to a woman. ._.

The next anime that I remember seeing the Japanese version of first was Naruto. On the flip side, I like the dub. Naruto's voice bugs me at times, but I have no real hatred towards it.

Oh, right. I also got the second half of Sailor Moon S fansubbed off of Yumes first. It was just WEIRD seeing it dubbed.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:45 pm

Why exactly are you guys discussing other anime when this thread and forum pertain to the DragonBall manga and anime trilogy series? There're other messege boards for that. Sorry to sound like a mod, I know I'm not. :oops:
14 years later

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:01 pm

I mearly mentioned another series as an example of what I thought to be a high quality dubbing. Nothing more than that...
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:35 am

B-kun wrote:The first anime I got into through its Japanese counterpart is Digimon Frontier. I actually have quite a bit of difficulty watching its dub. The voices don't sound right, them changing Chakumon and Fairymon to "Kumamon" and "Kazemon" respectively annoys me... Along with renaming almost every Beast Spirit to make them sound associated with the Adventure Digimon... And they changed RhodeKnightmon to a woman. ._.
Don't forget Wolfmon to..Lobomon. o_O;

Something interesting's come to mind. With Dragon Ball Z movie 12 on the way, what's to be expected in handling of Paikuhan's scene when trying to free Enma in the English dub? >.>

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:44 am

Tsukento wrote:With Dragon Ball Z movie 12 on the way, what's to be expected in handling of Paikuhan's scene when trying to free Enma in the English dub? >.>
The only swear words used are idiot, blockhead, stupid, dumbass and bastard. For the uncut edition, leave it as is. For the cut version, simply replace the last two words for "moron" and something along the lines of "jerk." I really don't know why this is such a big deal for everybody.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:56 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
Kirbopher wrote:
Super Sonic wrote: Vol. 2 of the manga has some of those moments I've mentioned. For example after Bulma informs them of the Dragon Balls being stone for a year:

Yamcha: A yuh-yuh-yuh year?!
Oolong: Now there's a problem!
Yamcha: (thinks) Yes! Another whole year of being terrified around girls...!
Oolong: This is gonna be one dull comic book...
Yeah, plus Pilaf saying something to the extent of "WE DON'T MAKE DR. SLUMP REFERENCES ANYMORE!!!" in one of the graphic novels.
That was the same volume. He was telling Mai about how he didn't appreciate vulgar humor and yelled at her for holding poo on a stick. He then goes on, "After all, some manga creators strive to make their work dignified and refined!! If you think we'l pander to our audience's shameful love of pee-pee, kaka humor simply to boost the sales of this Dragon Ball comic... then you are sadly mistaken!!"
Also, in the very same volume, Pilaf tells Shuu and Mai (and the audience) how he has read all about the DragonBalls and their power... and then points to his collection of Jump. Pilaf was the king of fourth wall breaking.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:33 pm

Adamant wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:
Kirbopher wrote: Yeah, plus Pilaf saying something to the extent of "WE DON'T MAKE DR. SLUMP REFERENCES ANYMORE!!!" in one of the graphic novels.
That was the same volume. He was telling Mai about how he didn't appreciate vulgar humor and yelled at her for holding poo on a stick. He then goes on, "After all, some manga creators strive to make their work dignified and refined!! If you think we'l pander to our audience's shameful love of pee-pee, kaka humor simply to boost the sales of this Dragon Ball comic... then you are sadly mistaken!!"
Also, in the very same volume, Pilaf tells Shuu and Mai (and the audience) how he has read all about the DragonBalls and their power... and then points to his collection of Jump. Pilaf was the king of fourth wall breaking.
At least he was king of something...zing! :lol: