The UK Dragon Ball Z movies

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

The UK Dragon Ball Z movies

Post by Dominator » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:32 pm

I recently heard that the company dubbing these films is called "Bridge", I have no idea as to whether they dubbed the films years ago or whether Toonami is paying them to do it. Anyway I thought I'd do a bit of an overview on them. While "Super Saiya Son Goku" was terrible, the supposed Bridge dub only worsened it, though they improved with "Super Battle in the World" before going slightly worse again with "The Strongest Guy in the World". Anyway, on to the voices (note the voice actors' names are never revealed, and neither is the name of the dubbers, so "Bridge" mightn't be it).

Goku -
Goku has a very deep voice, though it's one of the best voices from this dub and I eventually got used to it. He can't seem to pronounce Kamehameha right (his volume rises and he links the words together, try to imagine it - KaMAYommMAYyAA, though sometimes he says Kameyameya, when shouting the names for the Genki-Dama and Kaioken). Though this voice actor does sound good voicing Bardock.

Gohan -
I'm guessing Gohan is voiced by a girl because of how light and squeaky his voice is, though it's not that bad at times, unfortunately he screams too much so sometimes it sounds like puberty is going insane for him (though they're good at making these screams sound like the Japanese voice actor, I can't remember the names to save my own life). Though his voice actor did manage to make him sound cool just before he eliminated Bojack, "now you're going to see what I can do". It just sounded cool, and with the tone of voice too. The Masenko is also changed to the "Magic Beam".

Vegeta
Has a really deep voice and his name is pronounced "Vejetta". That's pretty much it about Vegeta.

Piccolo -
Annoyingly named "Big Green", this voice actor does have a voice that sounds like it would come from Piccolo, but he just doesn't sound serious when he's trying and has trouble pronouncing "Gohan". Nameks are also called "Nemaks" and the Special Beam Cannon/Makankosappou is called the "Magic Needle".

Kuririn
Called "Kylilin" in these dubs, this voice only sounded good in the Bojack movie, and was at his worst in the Brolli movie. Has a very-pitched voice and says things in the wrong tone, i.e. in the Lord Slug movie he stares shocked at the fleeing soldiers, though they made him say "yeah, you better run!" in a serious manner. I don't know what he calls Kienzan, the only word I could make out was "disks".

Tenshinhan
Called Tian (bloody word changer thing) in Super Battle in the World, called Tenshinhan once in the Bojack movie and then called "Tenshin" for the rest of this movie and the others. Had a raspy voice actor in Super Battle and was thankfully changed to a much better one in the Bojack movie.

Yamcha
Not much to say about except I liked his first voice actor better.

Other characters such as Bulma, Chichi, Kamesennin, Mr. Satan, Puar and Oolong all sound fine. Freeza has a deep, evil, male voice for once, Zarbon sounds camp and young, while Dodoria has the voice of an old man. Saiyans are called "Space Warriors" despite the use of "Saiya" in some film titles, Super Saiyans are called "Super Warriors" (though in the Super Battle movie, Tulluce says Gohan is a Super Warrior), they are later called Super Warriors (have these guys been reading the UB22 manual?!). The two things that plague these dubs the most are the badly-done screams and grunts, aside from some inaccuracy. On to film titles...

Lord Slug - Super Saiya Son Goku

Tree of Might - Super Battle in the World

The World's Strongest - The Strongest Guy in the World

Super Android 13! - Super Battle of the Three Super Saiyas

Broly the Legendaru Super Saiyan - The Burning Battles

Bojack Unbound - Super Guy in the Galaxy

Bardock, the Father of Goku - The Father of Goku

The History of Trunks - Gohan and Trunks

Other things: Bojack is pronounced "Boojack", his minions names are never revealed, Kaiosama's name changed from (supposedly) "Sire" to "Keesh" to "Kaio" (or Kaiosama, I've forgotten). Some voices actually get messed up with the wrong character and are sometimes out of sync (Paragus saying something while gritting his teeth), lengthy amounts of dialogue are fitted into two mouth movements and the narrator says for Gohan and Trunks, "Tenshin and Kylilin survived" despite being KILLED ON SCREEN.
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/vendavaleste/]Carrion - The Dominator Fansite[/url]

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:45 pm

Interesting...I thought the UK had always used the same dub as the US...
Does the UK only use a different dub for the movies or the entire series?

:) I learned something new today...
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:49 pm

Interesting, There must be like 5 or 6 English dubs out there. An English dub guide would be awsome. :wink: (I'am kidding I know it would be an insane amount of work\research)

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dominator » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:56 pm

Chaos-Saiyajin: We had Ocean's dub for Dragon Ball Z (then I think it was FUNi), and Blue Water dubbed GT and Dragon Ball.

Tanooki: Seirously, if I get a good amount of free time I'm looking to write an article about the UK dub of these movies.
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/vendavaleste/]Carrion - The Dominator Fansite[/url]

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:05 pm

Well, I just went to Amazon.co.uk and bought two DBZ movies (1 & 3) they had different names then the FUNimation dub. They came out to £45.22 ... I have no idea how much that is :lol:

I only seen the fist 4 movies had title changes, all the rest seem to be the same. Where can I find the UK dub of the first Brolly movie?

gotenx
Beyond Newbie

Post by gotenx » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:25 pm

Isn't ocean the same as Blue water? I notice a similarity in the voices and they both have similar names. There was a topic a while ago saying that Blue water was a division of Ocean.

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:40 pm

Blue Water is Ocean's Sister Studio. I believe they're owned by the same people, but use different staff.

Those UK dubs sound eerily similar to the English-Asia dubbed Transformers series, so I imagine the actors nor script writers are native english speakers. Still, shit like that is pretty interesting, so if we can get some clips then that'd be superduper :)

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:43 pm

I think you just wasted your money.

They aren't really worth owning and you paid far too much for them. £45 is worth nearly $80
Where's the beef?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:47 pm

They aren't really worth owning and you paid far too much for them. £45 is worth nearly $80
Eh, thats fine. I just wanted to see them for myself I guess.

Tenka-Ichi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenka-Ichi » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:01 am

Magnaboss wrote:Blue Water is Ocean's Sister Studio. I believe they're owned by the same people, but use different staff.
Yep. Ocean studios and Blue Water studios are both owned by The Ocean Group. Ocean studios is in Vancouver and Blue water studios is in Edmonton (or is it Calgary?... anyway it's in Alberta).

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dominator » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:46 am

That would be great if I had some clips, but I don't know how to rip them from DVDs and Videos.

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dominator » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:53 am

Sorry for the double post, but I'll be posting some dialogue soon, you should really see how annoying Android 17 and 18 are. "We're bababababack" XD

EDIT: Just to save triple posting, you bought two DVDs for £45?! I could buy a used monitor for that much, DVDs like that should be something like £12.99.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:52 am

I feel sick for saying this, but I am very grateful that Funimation has the exclusive distribution rights for the U.S.

Sho™
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sho™ » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:46 am

My God... The technique names are beyond belief. Magic Needle for Makankosappô? It really makes the show extremely childlike.
[i]"Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time..."[/i]
[| [url=http://rpg.naget.com]Ganadu'r - The Eternal Saga[/url] |]

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:12 am

Sho™ wrote:My God... The technique names are beyond belief. Magic Needle for Makankosappô? It really makes the show extremely childlike.
What, more than it already is? :roll:

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:00 am

Just to save triple posting, you bought two DVDs for £45?! I could buy a used monitor for that much, DVDs like that should be something like £12.99

Well, I shipped them next day from the UK to America so yea, I knew it'll be a little more but thats ok.

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dominator » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:35 pm

Oh, guess I forgot about that.

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dominator » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:22 pm

Urk, more double-posting. Anyway, dialogue. Note these are in any order.

(Goku prepares the Genki-Dama)
Goku: Oh sun, source of all life and energy, give me greater strength...! Kame-yame-ya!

(Tulluce telling Gohan about being a "Super Warrior")
Tulluce: You know what this is? It's a ball of fire! *Hurls "ball of fire"* Halt! Explode!

Goku: Don't look at the fireball!

(At the end of Moive #2)
Kamesennin: I'm going to miss that Dr. Wheelo, he did say I was the strongest man in the world afterall...

(During Slug's transformation)
Kaiosama: Yes! Slug is just like that of Big Green; originating from the unhappy planet Nemak, only he's a Super Nemak!

Goku: A Super Nemak?

(Gohan meets Tulluce)
Gohan: Huh? You look like my dad.

Tulluce: Yes, almost.[/b]

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:33 pm

The one from Movie 2 is like the one from the original Pioneer release in a way. Roshi says something like: "There is one thing I'll miss about that Dr. Whello. He thought I was the strongest in the world!" to which Bulma replied: "Guess no one told him you're just a dirty old man."

I can still remember the first time I heard that, it so cracked me up. XD
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:59 pm

Xyex wrote:The one from Movie 2 is like the one from the original Pioneer release in a way. Roshi says something like: "There is one thing I'll miss about that Dr. Whello. He thought I was the strongest in the world!" to which Bulma replied: "Guess no one told him you're just a dirty old man."

I can still remember the first time I heard that, it so cracked me up. XD
I remember hearing that on YTV, I was like "Oh, yeah! She burned your ass! Burned it!" and then I realized I was talking to the TV, and I felt sad.