DBZ R2 Discussion Overflow (Locked)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:31 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I remeber a time, back in 1995 or so people would pay 20 bucks for 3 episodes on VHS with horrible quality video and almost unreadable subtitles, and sometimes you didn't even get a cover (just a VHS slipcase). Now we have good picture quality DVD's with optional languages, cover art, and subtitles by someone who actually knows what he's doing and we are complaining about bitrate speed? Wow, when did we get so spoiled?
Because we are in 2005, not 1995, and standards change. We're also purchasing legitimate releases, and not some bootlegged, 5th generation fansub from a guy and his Amiga.

Milton
Patreon Supporter

Post by Milton » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:58 pm

RC315 wrote:I have more captures here, but these are to compare episode 1 from both the Region 1 Funimation Saiyan Showdown video and the Region 2 DBZ #1. They are side-by-side. The one on the left is the Region 1 Funimation release and the one of the right is the Region 2 Japanese release.
<snip long list of images>
Da-um. That's some pretty sweet looking video for the R2s. I may have to get me some of these... :P

M-Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Post by M-Vegeta » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:15 pm

No English subtitles on these discs, eh ... bummer.

Oh well, FUNimation is good enough ... what other choice do we have for those who don't know Japanese. ( ̄(エ) ̄)

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:18 pm

M-Vegeta wrote:No English subtitles on these discs, eh ... bummer.

Oh well, FUNimation is good enough ... what other choice do we have for those who don't know Japanese. ( ̄(エ) ̄)
Way to read, read king. We've been through this.

M-Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Post by M-Vegeta » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:39 pm

Yi Xing Long wrote:Well you could just download the Playdia vids. I mean they are so friggen hard to find. I'm not sure if anyone translated them though. They are available on Bittorrent. The ONLY other place you can get them is the DragonBox. Good luck with that. :?
I have them without subs on VHS. I met a guy on-line from Japan who sent me copies. I guess if anyones interested, let me know.

I should transfer them to DVD-R, already.

M-Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Post by M-Vegeta » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:49 pm

Magnaboss wrote:
I was stating my disappointment that there were no English subtitles on these new discs, a-hole. What does it matter to you, anyhow, fuck face.

SuperFusion
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperFusion » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:55 pm

He's probably pissy because he's seen someone else bitch about 'em. Although, he got what he deserved. Shouldn't be acting like a dick to all members because another member continuously mentions it.

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:58 pm

M-Vegeta wrote:
Magnaboss wrote:
I was stating my disappointment that there were no English subtitles on these new discs, a-hole. What does it matter to you, anyhow, fuck face.
Because I have this horrible expectation people actually read threads before posting in them, and that its been stated HUNDREDS of times before and everywhere else that they do not have English subtitles.

Maybe think next time? You know, give it a go? (also, what's with covering up ass, but not fuck?)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:09 am

Can you people all get a clue?

Magnaboss, I'm officially warning you about your attitude for the second time. If I have to say anything to you *ever* again on this forum, you're just going to find yourself out on your rear-end with a non-active account and a banned IP.

SuperFusion, while I've had problems with the way you've acted before, consider this your first official warning.

M-Vegeta, watch it.

The very fact that I have to make a post like this completely saddens me. Where the Hell do you people think you are...?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:10 am

VegettoEX wrote:Where the Hell do you people think you are...?
The Internet?

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:13 am

Magnaboss wrote:
M-Vegeta wrote:
Magnaboss wrote:
Because I have this horrible expectation people actually read threads before posting in them, and that its been stated HUNDREDS of times before and everywhere else that they do not have English subtitles.

Maybe think next time? You know, give it a go? (also, what's with covering up ass, but not fuck?)
He didn't ask if there were sudtitles, ass, he said he was dissapointed that there wern't subtitles, ass. If he had said "are there subs on these?" then you could say he didn't read the thread, buthe said "no subs, bummer" which implies he did read the thread, ass.

Seriously, ass, stop being a fuck-face.

(That better?)

M-Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Post by M-Vegeta » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:18 am

Magnaboss wrote:

Think about what?

I did read the thread, and I can state my disappointment that the new individual discs don't have English subtitles if I damn well please.

And I'm sorry, my life doesn't circulate around DBZ as much as others. I come here ever few months, if that. I was hoping they maybe had English subtitles this time around, they don't, I'm disappointed, but I'm not knocking the new discs. I wish I could buy them, but since they don't have subtitles I can't, simply because I don't know Japanese. I haven't even seen the whole DBZ series, yet.

Believe me, I'm not trying to start a FUNimation vs. Dragonbox war. I already know which is superior as far as quality.

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:18 am

Hey Peanut Gallery, maybe if we could get less "state the blindingly fucking obvious" in this thread, it might get a tad less, what, irritating? You have the right to say what you want, but please, consider the fucking situation of the thread before you put more verbal Daiorehha in.

Actually, fuck you. ban me, VegettoEX, you self-centered fucknut, so I dont have to come back and see these badly composed shitartists posts in response to any more of your fuck-ccokery (hur swearing). Tullece my ass. :roll:

Shitweasels

Also, XV, I'll send the pictures through AIM.

BleachTrunks

Post by BleachTrunks » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:29 am

Sheesh, where's all the hate coming from? Not that I want to pull the "you're all acting like little children" line out of retirement, but... you're all acting like little children =p Seriously, take a step away from the keyboard and let it go.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:32 am

Magnaboss wrote:Hey Peanut Gallery, maybe if we could get less "state the blindingly fucking obvious" in this thread, it might get a tad less, what, irritating? You have the right to say what you want, but please, consider the fucking situation of the thread before you put more verbal Daiorehha in.

Actually, fuck you. ban me, VegettoEX, you self-centered fucknut, so I dont have to come back and see these badly composed shitartists posts in response to any more of your fuck-ccokery (hur swearing). Tullece my ass. :roll:

Shitweasels

Also, XV, I'll send the pictures through AIM.
What the fuck is wrong with you? If you hate this forum so much, then don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. No one's forcing you to post here.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:43 am

IBTL: My cock is huge.

Oh yeah, and these region 2's always seem to end in tragedy. For future reference:

-Japanese DVD's are for Japanese people...who speak Japanese. They don't have English subtitles. Exporting them out of Japan is technically illegal anyway, since they're only licensed for Japan. That's like me saying, "The FUNi discs, made for English speaking audiences, don't have Iranian subtitles! THEY SUCK!" :P

-Yes, FUNi's DVD's have subtitles. They suck otherwise though, and I'm not holding back. The masters look like someone wiped their ass with them, then were run through VirtualDub with a sharpening filter, and color saturation cranked to Uber-Fucking-Annoying.

That's all I have to say. Good night, and good luck.

-Corey

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:50 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:IBTL: My cock is huge.

Oh yeah, and these region 2's always seem to end in tragedy. For future reference:

-Japanese DVD's are for Japanese people...who speak Japanese. They don't have English subtitles. Exporting them out of Japan is technically illegal anyway, since they're only licensed for Japan. That's like me saying, "The FUNi discs, made for English speaking audiences, don't have Iranian subtitles! THEY SUCK!" :P

-Yes, FUNi's DVD's have subtitles. They suck otherwise though, and I'm not holding back. The masters look like someone wiped their ass with them, then were run through VirtualDub with a sharpening filter, and color saturation cranked to Uber-Fucking-Annoying.

That's all I have to say. Good night, and good luck.

-Corey
Talk about nit pickey :lol: . Are you gonna get the singles, Corey? Also, you just said it's illegal for buyers outside of Japan to get the Japanese releases, so does that make the Dragonbox and single-release buyers criminals? If so, oh my goodness, DaizEX is harboring fugitives!!! (<-- Just kidding :P )

In all seriousness, you think you'll end up getting the singles, despite you already having the complete series?
14 years later

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:57 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:Talk about nit pickey :lol: . Are you gonna get the singles, Corey? Also, you just said it's illegal for buyers outside of Japan to get the Japanese releases, so does that make the Dragonbox and single-release buyers criminals? If so, oh my goodness, DaizEX is harboring fugitives!!! (<-- Just kidding :P )

In all seriousness, you think you'll end up getting the singles, despite you already having the complete series?
Nah, I'm not that extreme. I love the series, but the boxes will do. The singles are just purdy ;p

YES, I AM the SMOOTHE CRIMYNAL ROFLCOPTER. Nah, I'm not sure who the blame would fall on (the retailer or the buyer), but it's not legally licensed for distribution outside of Japan. Ah well, it's not really enforced unless you're buying bootlegs (or you get a shitty customs agent).

-Corey

M-Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Post by M-Vegeta » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:04 am

I guess you could always re-edit them, borrowing FUNimation's translations as your guide if you wanted to put that much work into them. I'm not exactlly sure what you would need to do something like that, but doesn't seem overly difficult.

I see your point, MajinVejitaXV, that they are made specfically for Japan. I guess I just had my hopes up that MAYBE they would be included this time when I read about the new individual discs in the news section. I never said they sucked, by the way, I think they're pretty damn awesome. :wink:

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:08 am

M-Vegeta wrote:I guess you could always re-edit them, borrowing FUNimation's translations as your guide if you wanted to put that much work into them. I'm not exactlly sure what you would need to do something like that, but doesn't seem overly difficult.

I see your point, MajinVejitaXV, that they are made specfically for Japan. I guess I just had my hopes up that MAYBE they would be included this time when I read about the new individual discs in the news section. I never said they sucked, by the way, I think they're pretty damn awesome. :wink:
Yeah, reauthoring the discs with english subtitles isn't too difficult. I've done it with Daimao's translations from my own old copies of the discs, and the end result is the best of both worlds. It's just a matter of demuxing the VOB's, adding the subtitles and remuxing then burning to a DVD+R.

And subtitles would have been too damn good to be true, but it's an incentive to learn the language, no? ;)

Sleep now, adios all. 10 hours of work waits for me on the other end of 7 hours of sleep ;p

-Corey