Kai Episode 101 (20 April 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Re: Kai Episode 101 (20 April 2014)

Post by garnetjester » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:22 am

I didn't like this episode so much, but that's because I LOVED this part in the original. I'm sad they cut that scene where Goten goes SSJ for the first time with Chichi because it's hilarious and it was in the manga :lol: The music is also growing on me, although it sounds a bit midi-ish in some points. Nozawa is the most amazing ever! Her Gohan is hilarious and Goten is as adorable as ever. And of course, Goku is just Goku. Honestly, I'm just glad I can get another chance to watch DBZ every week, I'm so excited for the Budokai!
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

Shnuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shnuki » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:25 am

garnetjester wrote:I'm sad they cut that scene where Goten goes SSJ for the first time with Chichi because it's hilarious and it was in the manga :lol:
It wasn't. He just mentioned that he did transform in front of her, and that it pissed her off.

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:27 am

I know he said it, but I was talking about how they cut it. That scene was originally shown both in the anime and manga. Of course, it makes sense that they cut it with the fast pacing of Kai, and because it would've messed up the flow, but it's one of my favorites in this part of DBZ.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:33 am

The music seems to have a "video gamie" feel to it, I could definitely picture it being used in some fighting game or platformer made during the 90's.

dylanmorgan17
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dylanmorgan17 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:00 pm

With this episode the colour coordination seemed a bit off, the characters and backgrounds seemed so pasty in this one. Is that my streamer or has the production gone down in quality now?
The Dante diet: Beer, Pizza and a strawberry Sunday.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:03 pm

garnetjester wrote:I know he said it, but I was talking about how they cut it. That scene was originally shown both in the anime and manga. Of course, it makes sense that they cut it with the fast pacing of Kai, and because it would've messed up the flow, but it's one of my favorites in this part of DBZ.
No, the scene is not in the manga. I just checked.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:23 pm

Nevermind then, I hallucinated the whole thing :oops:

I agree that the music sounds video game like, but it didn't sound as out of place as it did in ep 100. Maybe I'm growing used to it, or the placement is improving a bit.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:48 pm

The music, and the way it was used in this episode, seriously reminded me of the original Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans. The piece used for Vegeta and Trunks was okay, but felt out of place. Kame House scene was absolutely fine, though.

I'm surprised nobody directly mentioned Goten's ki blast scene and the ending to their lunch scene with Videl. I'm just about ready to award them 1st and 2nd most awkward cuts, thus far.

The cropping in the Goku vs Boo biting contest in the opening is still awkward. Goku nodding to "gorgeous" right before turning Super Saiyan 3 is still funny.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:36 pm

Blade wrote:More and more I'm slowly starting to tolerate the new score, on account of the fact that a lot of it has a sort of musical quality, whereby it, quite literally, indifferently meanders along in the background without interacting a great deal with the ebb and flow of the narrative. That is, of course, with the exception of some of the more lurid numbers that occasionally, like an unwanted, garishly patterned room ornament, rear their ugly presence, sticking out in such glaring contrast to the subject matter they can't not be noticed.
Couldn't agree more. What bugs me is how the music almost ignores things happening on screen and just keeps droning on. In addition, its cheap synth sounds badly stick out and make it even more disturbing.

The music sometimes makes me feel like I am watching a compilation of video game cutscenes.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:24 pm

The music is all over the place and while it's not bad, for VGM genre I've heard a lot better, from game franchises such as Sonic the Hedgehog / Super Smash Bros. / The Legend of Zelda / Street Fighter and Super Mario just to name a few, heck even the animated cutscenes from Dragon Ball: Ultimate Blast had a better soundtrack than what Dragon Ball Kai: Majin Boo arc has currently.

Its picture quality and music are really distracting but still entertaining enough.

Kikuchi's synthesised Z score would be a lot better than Sumitomo's bland music.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:45 pm

Really enjoyed it.

Admittedly I felt they could keep a little more. Would have liked to seen more of Video focusing and concentrating her Ki and how to fly. Also, how dare they remove the shot of Goten covered in rice after Gohan's spit take?! That was always hilarious.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:53 pm

I loved the cut ending at Gohan spitting out his rice. I was used to the dub, so I had to put up with the awkward Gohan trying to cover it up. Now it just makes me giggle.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:17 pm

Some scene cuts could have been done better.
But I'm really enjoying this. Next episode the gang is reunited! So fast. :D
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:48 pm

Blade wrote:More and more I'm slowly starting to tolerate the new score, on account of the fact that a lot of it has a sort of musackal quality, whereby it, quite literally, indifferently meanders along in the background without interacting a great deal with the ebb and flow of the narrative. That is, of course, with the exception of some of the more lurid numbers that occasionally, like an unwanted, garishly patterned room ornament, rear their ugly presence, sticking out in such glaring contrast to the subject matter they can't not be noticed. And just to be clear, none of the above is meant even remotely positively or should be constituted as praise. A musical score that verges between having no presence and having a thoroughly unwanted one is neither worthwhile or of benefit to the spectacle.
I couldn't have said that more beautifully if I'd tried. You absolutely nailed it.

Goten and Trunks' Super Saiyan transformations were the worst offenders, both in terms of the music composition and the editing/placement of the score itself. The Faulconer Productions dub music compares favorably to some of these pieces. I actually haven't watched these scenes dubbed in nearly a decade and I still remember the FUNi music that played here. I watched this episode of Kai 40 minutes ago and I don't remember a thing. I'm simply not hearing any melodies; it was just noise. I don't think I'm being unfair, either. I remember when Kai first aired and we were talking about how much we all enjoyed some of Yamamoto's work for the Raditz episodes. It's true that those were more action-heavy than these episodes, but it's still more than enough to form an opinion. Kikuchi is *greatly* missed.

We got to hear a lot more of Kakinuma's Videl this week; she actually did a very good job. The flight training is one of Yuko Minaguchi's favorite Videl moments, though. It's sad to watch the episode without her. Kusao was a standout in his quick scene. I could tell Nozawa was having fun recording for Gohan and Goten.

I can't wait to read through the translated credits for this one. Was the Southern Kaio recast?

It's clear that these episodes are only entertaining me because I happen to really like this part of the story. It has nothing to do with the way the Kai team is handling the material. The scenes are more quickly paced, but it doesn't actually feel like anything is happening. Videl-Can't-Fly-Oh-Hey-I'll-Teach-You-Let's-Have-Lunch-Haha-ChiChi-Asked-If-They're-Getting-Married-Oh-Hey-Now-We're-Training-Again-Oh-Hey-Look-You-Can-Fly-Now. All within a couple of minutes. I really do wonder what first-time viewers are thinking when they watch this. Are these moments really having an impact or do they just feel like "this thing happened, now this thing happened, etc?" The voice actors are all speeding through their lines so quickly; it's a wonder I'm finding anything positive to say. But then again, this is how I've always felt about Kai. I just expecting too much from a product that's simply not meant for me.

Bring on episode 102! :lol:
Last edited by MagicBox on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:53 pm

MagicBox wrote:I can't wait to read through the translated credits for this one. Was the Southern Kaio recast?
Indeed, Nishio Toku left us some years ago.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:06 pm

Oh, hey, he did Mister Popo, too. I knew that Nishio had passed away; I just didn't know that he was also the voice for Southern Kaio.

Thanks, Jacob.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:43 am

MagicBox wrote:I can't wait to read through the translated credits for this one. Was the Southern Kaio recast?
Hiroshi Naka (中博史) has taken over the role of South Kaiō, for the reason Jacob mentioned.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:51 am

I rewatched the episode and noticed that the cropping is a little sloppy compared to the previous episodes.

Toei have embraced the crushed blacks cult.
Last edited by kei17 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:16 am

kei17 wrote:I rewatched the episode and noticed that the cropping is a little sloppy compared to the previous episodes.
Yep. :thumbdown:
This leads to the following question: did they made a selective cropping this time ?