Quick Translation Question

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cyberman
Not-So-Newbie
Location: Ascending Super Saiyan in the Room of Spirit and Time

Quick Translation Question

Post by Cyberman » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:26 pm

I'm not sure if this should go in here, but here goes. How do you say in Japanese "I am[this person's name.]" Like saying "I am Vegeta". I'd like to know and see if I can catch this watching Japanese DBZ. Thanks!

Nyoibo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nyoibo » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:29 pm

Hmmm - Watashi wa [insert name] desu.

A particular episode where this phrase is said is when Piccolo meets up with Cell for the first time... if I remember correctly.
Last edited by Nyoibo on Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:31 pm

Nyoibo wrote:Hmmm - Watashi wa [insert name] desu.
Haha, I was about to post an answer and sound really cool - but I forgot about the 'desu' part. :P I'm glad I'm slow now.

'lo Legends
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 'lo Legends » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:32 pm

However, that's probably not how most of the people in dragonball will say it! even though it is the most ordinary and proper way to say it.

Goku would probably just say something like "Ora wa Goku", for instance.

Edit: Yes, Piccolo would probably say "Watashi wa Pikkoro desu" but i'm pretty sure that Piccolo is pretty polite most of the time. =P
Random Fact: "If Freeza used a watering can on Piccolo, he would turn into a tree. FACT."

Cyberman
Not-So-Newbie
Location: Ascending Super Saiyan in the Room of Spirit and Time

Post by Cyberman » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:38 pm

Is "Ora wa Goku" a less polite way to say it? Which I understand since he's a hick. :p

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:40 pm

You will hear from Vegeta "Ore wa Vegeta." You will hear from Goku "Ora wa Goku" (and a lot if you watch the previews for the next episodes where he pops in announcing "Ossu! Ora wa Goku!")

EDIT: I guess you can say that...Ora is a "made-up" word derived from "Ore." Ore in itself isn't very polite to use (it can be seen as very pompous by most people.)
Last edited by Tatsunoboshi Horoko on Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nyoibo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nyoibo » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:40 pm

However, that's probably not how most of the people in dragonball will say it! even though it is the most ordinary and proper way to say it.
Yup, that's true. But I'm pretty positive Cell does say it just like that:

Piccolo: "Dare wa desu ka?"
Cell: "Watashi wa Seru desu."

Cell uses a more 'polite' form when speaking just like Freeza does. Remember, Cell thinks highly of himself and his kanzentai. :P
Last edited by Nyoibo on Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Panda
Beyond Newbie

Post by Panda » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:44 pm

If I remember right, Ora/Ore is only used for males... but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Do Goten and Gohna speak in a similar manner to Goku? Just curious :)
Just remember, everytime something bad is happening to you. Something even worse is happening to someone else.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:59 pm

Okay, let's say my name is John you would say:

Watashi no namae wa, John desu. *If you are a guy, you can use "Boku instead of "Watashi"*

Moderator note: Don't use honorific prefixes/suffixes for yourself. It makes you sound like a pompous asshole. Thanks!

YAY! My very first translation! I hope I got it right!

EDIT: Wait! I just said, "My name is John." if you wanna say that. If you wanna say "I am *****" than the others are right! :D
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

gotenx
Beyond Newbie

Post by gotenx » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:22 pm

After getting a translation of how Goku speaks, I've been saying "Ora Buroderi-san" in my Japanese class.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:33 pm

gotenx wrote:After getting a translation of how Goku speaks, I've been saying "Ora Buroderi-san" in my Japanese class.
I didn't know you could use honorifics like that. I'm totally going by Desire-sama from now on.

Panda
Beyond Newbie

Post by Panda » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:52 pm

You only use honorifics when speaking about another person. Never use them to refer to yourself

(Handy tip #1)
Just remember, everytime something bad is happening to you. Something even worse is happening to someone else.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:53 pm

Uh, not so sure you wanna do that. 'Ore wa', if memory serves, is an arrogant way of saying 'I am' (hence why Vejita says it). Goku, on the other hand, butchers the word because of his dialect, hence 'Ora'. Goku's use doesn't so much indicate arrogance however as it does ignorance (also evidenced by his lack of honorifics).

So, essentially, you're speaking like a stuck up (by calling yourself 'san' or 'sama') yet poorly educated mountain person ;p

-Corey

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:58 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Uh, not so sure you wanna do that. 'Ore wa', if memory serves, is an arrogant way of saying 'I am' (hence why Vejita says it). Goku, on the other hand, butchers the word because of his dialect, hence 'Ora'. Goku's use doesn't so much indicate arrogance however as it does ignorance (also evidenced by his lack of honorifics).

So, essentially, you're speaking like a stuck up (by calling yourself 'san' or 'sama') yet poorly educated mountain person ;p

-Corey
Cool! I really want another podcast with Julian talking about Japanese. It's so freakin' interesting :D

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:10 pm

desirecampbell wrote:Cool! I really want another podcast with Julian talking about Japanese. It's so freakin' interesting :D
Yeah, it's very interesting, though I'm most assuredly a rank amateur.

Let me recommend a podcast I've recently got into though, for you and anyone else. It's www.japanesepod101.com . The shows are 10 minutes a piece, and are conducted by fluent speakers. They review things at a good pace, and there are study guides for each lesson.

Also, I'm currently playing with http://lrnj.com/ , which is a Windows RPG which works on learning all the Kana and about 200 Kanji. I can't say how good it is since I just got it today, but give it a shot.

I've got more good resources if you or anyone else want them. All free, all internet based.

-Corey

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:13 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:Cool! I really want another podcast with Julian talking about Japanese. It's so freakin' interesting :D
Yeah, it's very interesting, though I'm most assuredly a rank amateur.

Let me recommend a podcast I've recently got into though, for you and anyone else. It's www.japanesepod101.com . The shows are 10 minutes a piece, and are conducted by fluent speakers. They review things at a good pace, and there are study guides for each lesson.

Also, I'm currently playing with http://lrnj.com/, which is a Windows RPG which works on learning all the Kana and about 200 Kanji. I can't say how good it is since I just got it today, but give it a shot.

I've got more good resources if you or anyone else want them. All free, all internet based.

-Corey
You're playing an RPG that teaches you Japanese? That, sir, is "pimp". I am totaly checking this out :)

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:53 pm

If you really want to sound pompous, add a "sama" or any other honorific at the end of "ore." Then, get ready to make a lot of your (Japanese speaking) friends hate you. :D

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:45 pm

Ora wa Gokuh? I'm pretty sure he doesn't even put the wa there. It's just "Ora Gokuh!" Yeah, he uses total hick speak, but neither Gohan nor Goten speaks the way he does. Gohan is pretty formal with the "desu" and uses "boku" and Goten just talks like an ordinary child. Note: try not to use Ora or even Ore unless you want to get laughed at or beat up.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:29 am

Wow, I almost forgot Goku doesn't use the "wa" particle there.

'lo Legends
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 'lo Legends » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:47 am

Mr. Announcer wrote:Ora wa Gokuh? I'm pretty sure he doesn't even put the wa there. It's just "Ora Gokuh!"
Oh yeah! I was wondering if he did or if he didn't. I was thinking that even Goku wasn't such a hick to not put the wa particle in there. Haha.
Random Fact: "If Freeza used a watering can on Piccolo, he would turn into a tree. FACT."