"Majunior" and lack of recognition

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

"Majunior" and lack of recognition

Post by Thanos6 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:10 pm

At the 23rd Budokai, during Goku and "Majunior's" fight, the latter's turban falls off. Some members of the crowd recognize him, he gleefully reveals himself as Piccolo, and everyone flees, leaving only our heroes and the Budokai Announcer.

At the 25th Budokai, he enters as Majunior again, because everyone would panic if he entered as Piccolo. But, um...?

I mean, this isn't something that would only be of interest to martial arts fans. The return of the Demon King would be front page news, at the top of the hour broadcast, worldwide, and his alias would get out one way or the other. How would not one single person at the 25th remember?

Adnan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adnan » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:12 pm

Probably because they all saw him during the Cell games being among the good guys.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:26 pm

Adnan wrote:Probably because they all saw him during the Cell games being among the good guys.
Actually, they probably just forgot about him. It was, like, twenty years ago.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:30 pm

Ma Junior entered a standard tournament that wasn't broadcasted on television or anything. He revealed himself to be Piccolo Daimao, to which those who attended freaked and ran. Why? Because Piccolo Daimao was more well known on camera and for his rampage, as well as attacking the King.

Years later, he enters a tournament that's been glorified over the years, giving more room for people to watch and even cameras being included. Only those who attended the 23rd Budokai would have known about Ma Junior's true identity. Not to mention, they destroyed all the cameras during the Boo saga. :P

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:30 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
Adnan wrote:Probably because they all saw him during the Cell games being among the good guys.
:? Yeah...which somehow happened with Son Goku as well...

I swear that history is not taught in the Dragon World... :?
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:36 pm

Chaos Saiyajin wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:
:? Yeah...which somehow happened with Son Goku as well...

I swear that history is not taught in the Dragon World... :?
While it's not necessarily canon with the manga, Dragon Ball GT's ending proves they all remembered in a way when they made a statue of Goku in the Tenkaichi Budokai in the future. :P

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:50 pm

Well, between one of the transitions for the DBZ (or was it DB?), there's a narration that says something like "...however, the Earthlings have forgotten heroes in this time of peace." I thought that it was at the beginning of the Great Saiyaman arc in the Viz manga, but I couldn't find it ( :x ).

Anyways, the Earthlings that weren't any of the Z-fighters most likely forgot all about the incredibly strong fighters from the older Budokai Tournaments. Only a few of the actual non-related-to-the-Z-fighters remember the actual strong fighters (from the top of my head, I can think of the Dog King and the Announcer).

Hope that helps :D.

EDIT: It still pisses me off that the DB dub named Piccolo "Junior," while in DBZ when they enter the tournament again, they call him: "Ma Junior." :x
Last edited by DaemonCorps on Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:40 pm

Or how about movie 9 for that matter? Piccolo doesn't even bother using an alias there, yet nobody seemed to care. :lol:

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:04 pm

EDIT: It still pisses me off that the DB dub named Piccolo "Junior," while in DBZ when they enter the tournament again, they call him: "Ma Junior."
That's one of my huge qualms with the American dub. So inconsistent....
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:24 pm

The S wrote:
EDIT: It still pisses me off that the DB dub named Piccolo "Junior," while in DBZ when they enter the tournament again, they call him: "Ma Junior."
That's one of my huge qualms with the American dub. So inconsistent....
Yeah, this one bothers me the most: Mercenary Tao, assassin hired by the Red Ribbon Army in Dragon Ball. General Tao, former high ranking official from the Red Ribbon Army in Dragon Ball Z. I know the whole General thing in DBZ was dubbed before Dragon Ball but it's still incosistent.

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:55 pm

[quote="DaemonCorps"]Well, between one of the transitions for the DBZ (or was it DB?), there's a narration that says something like "...however, the Earthlings have forgotten heroes in this time of peace." I thought that it was at the beginning of the Great Saiyaman arc in the Viz manga, but I couldn't find it ( :x ).

I believe the chapter you are looking for is Tankobon No. 33; Dragon Ball Z Vol. 17. Chapter 369(DBZ 195: Message of Terror). The quote you mentioned is at the end of the chapter.

Hope that helped! :D
Last edited by Guest on Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:46 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:EDIT: It still pisses me off that the DB dub named Piccolo "Junior," while in DBZ when they enter the tournament again, they call him: "Ma Junior." :x
That didn't really bug me. What bugged me was the pronounciation of the name by slapping both words together. Instead of saying Ma Junior, sounded more like they said "Muhjunior." o_O;

As for movie 9..we all know movies have a difficult time being consistant with the story. :P

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ngnikolaos » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:10 pm

Maybe they considered Piccolo a good guy when they saw him fighting Nappa? Nappa destroyed an entire city, thus was labeled as a menace... then again, DB (even the manga) is filled with plotholes and inconsistencies.
"Destiny"... people claim by force what they desire, wreak havoc upon others in order to acquire it... and they call it "destiny".

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Re: "Majunior" and lack of recognition

Post by Steven Perry » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:00 pm

Thanos6 wrote:At the 23rd Budokai, during Goku and "Majunior's" fight, the latter's turban falls off....

At the 25th Budokai, he enters as Majunior again, because everyone would panic if he entered as Piccolo. But, um...?

I mean, this isn't something that would only be of interest to martial arts fans. The return of the Demon King would be front page news, at the top of the hour broadcast, worldwide, and his alias would get out one way or the other. How would not one single person at the 25th remember?
Maybe there was a slight commotion, but knowing that you've got good ol' Hercule ready to defend the universe puts you at ease. Hercule can kick Piccolo's green(possibly pink) ass any day.
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:10 pm

Yami-Tenchi wrote:
DaemonCorps wrote:Well, between one of the transitions for the DBZ (or was it DB?), there's a narration that says something like "...however, the Earthlings have forgotten heroes in this time of peace." I thought that it was at the beginning of the Great Saiyaman arc in the Viz manga, but I couldn't find it ( :x ).
I believe the chapter you are looking for is Tankobon No. 33; Dragon Ball Z Vol. 17. Chapter 369(DBZ 175: Message of Terror). The quote you mentioned is at the end of the chapter.

Thanks, that would've drove me crazy if I couldn't find it! But don't you mean Vol. 17. Chapter 369 (DBZ 195)?

That's probably my favorite quote from the Viz manga, since it shows how much Goku's done over the years, but how little he's known. That's also why I like that one episode during the Budoukai in the Buu Saga when the Announcer finally catches on to Goku being dead and is just like, "Hey, whatever. I've seen stranger things from you guys; I guess I won't mind the halo :?." I should get that on DVD...

Anywho, back on topic, in that same episode I mentioned, Mr. Announcer guy doesn't freak out when he sees Piccolo. On the contrary, he shares some playful banter with him!

I think he didn't freak because at the end of the tournament in DB, Goku gives Piccolo the Senzu, but Piccolo doesn't rush in to attack him. Maybe Mr. Announcer thought Goku planned out so far into the future and knew that Piccolo would eventually be a good guy.

Anyway, thanks for all you guys quoting from me! Cool :D.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:15 pm

Yep, the announcer's like, "Please don't destroy the arena this time!" :lol:

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:36 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:
Yami-Tenchi wrote:
DaemonCorps wrote:Well, between one of the transitions for the DBZ (or was it DB?), there's a narration that says something like "...however, the Earthlings have forgotten heroes in this time of peace." I thought that it was at the beginning of the Great Saiyaman arc in the Viz manga, but I couldn't find it ( :x ).
I believe the chapter you are looking for is Tankobon No. 33; Dragon Ball Z Vol. 17. Chapter 369(DBZ 195: Message of Terror). The quote you mentioned is at the end of the chapter.

Thanks, that would've drove me crazy if I couldn't find it! But don't you mean Vol. 17. Chapter 369 (DBZ 195)?

Shit. Editing now. Janaa~!

That's probably my favorite quote from the Viz manga, since it shows how much Goku's done over the years, but how little he's known. That's also why I like that one episode during the Budoukai in the Buu Saga when the Announcer finally catches on to Goku being dead and is just like, "Hey, whatever. I've seen stranger things from you guys; I guess I won't mind the halo :?." I should get that on DVD...

Anywho, back on topic, in that same episode I mentioned, Mr. Announcer guy doesn't freak out when he sees Piccolo. On the contrary, he shares some playful banter with him!

I think he didn't freak because at the end of the tournament in DB, Goku gives Piccolo the Senzu, but Piccolo doesn't rush in to attack him. Maybe Mr. Announcer thought Goku planned out so far into the future and knew that Piccolo would eventually be a good guy.

Anyway, thanks for all you guys quoting from me! Cool :D.

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:42 pm

Chaos Saiyajin wrote:I swear that history is not taught in the Dragon World... :?
Unless it's about Mr. Satan.

I remember the Cell Saga (was it filler) the King vaguely recognising Goku and Piccolo but that’s about it. Frankly I just assumed the world forgot about Piccolo, perhaps because he was overthrown very quickly.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:30 pm

Caracal wrote:I remember the Cell Saga (was it filler) the King vaguely recognising Goku and Piccolo but that’s about it. Frankly I just assumed the world forgot about Piccolo, perhaps because he was overthrown very quickly.
A few people also seemed to vaguely recognize Goku and Gohan during the Cell Games. Goku's changing of the Super Saiyan state to make it more like its his regular self was quite a bit of a change to his appearance as his hair and eyes looked like they were natural.

That and Piccolo was wearing his usual cape and turban, making it harder to recognize him as the ol' Demon King. :P

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:36 pm

Tsukento wrote:Piccolo was wearing his usual cape and turban, making it harder to recognize him as the ol' Demon King. :P
Even though he wore clothing over some features, one remained prominent: his green face. If I saw a green man, I wouldn't forget it. So, a silly turban ain't gonna change anything.
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~