DBZ Movie 13 English Dub Dissection! (Updated with new clip)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

DBZ Movie 13 English Dub Dissection! (Updated with new clip)

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:32 pm

Well, I have movie 13 early thanks to FUNimations booth at Otakon. So let us Dissect shall we?

So the first thing you'll notice is that its not the usuall black DVD cover, instead its one of those clear covers that are usually used for when companys offer reversable covers. Theres no alternative cover here, but it looks cool anyways...

Menu Screens...

Japanese stereo?

And uh...extras... :roll:

FUNimation did somthing pretty odd, they left the Japanese credits IN THE DUB! Why? I dont know, such is FUNimation...

Original title screen...

FUNimations title screen...

As for voices, I know people are wondering what Tapions dub voice is like, so I kinda made a clip. What happened was I reformatted my computer so I don't have my good ripping programs. So, I made an audio clip and set it to the pictures on screen. Its just to hear a sample of the dub anyway's....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCBh6EhbXHc
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LegendarySSJ7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by LegendarySSJ7 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:38 pm

Cringe-inducing. Worse than anticipated. That's coming from a FUNimation fan. Tapion's VA.... not a judicious choice IMO.

Oh well, at least I have the Japanese version + Daimao subtitles to look forward to.

Thanks for the images and clip, anyway.

Saiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyan » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:38 pm

Well, here's the big question.

What about Gotenks' voice and Goku's "Dragon Fire!!"?

EDIT: After hearing it...I'd have to say..."Eh.." about it. Oh well, I'll still buy it, not for dub, but for the Japanese voices and Daimao's subtitles.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:45 pm

Gotenks voice is done by two people. Goku's "Dragon Fire" is in there. I even put on English subtitles to make sure I was hearing it right. :cry:

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:54 pm

Tapion sounds like a terrible version of Trunks. :cry: :cry:

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:57 pm

There's a good chance that the masters provided to FUNimation didn't include a textless movie opening. Can't do much with that, I'm afraid.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:25 am

Blitzen wrote:There's a good chance that the masters provided to FUNimation didn't include a textless movie opening. Can't do much with that, I'm afraid.
Indeed. That seems a bit odd though, considering Path to Power has a textless video track (or angle, whatever) for its DVD. But hey, why complain? Just means the FUNi dub is all the more Uncut than say ... the redub of Dead Zone. I mean really, if they replaced the opening scene with the casual textless "We Gotta Power" or "CHA-LA HEAD CHA-LA", that'd kinda kill the whole "Uncut" aspect.

Regarding "Dragon Fire", that literally makes no sense. I mean Budokai 3 and even the GT dub got it right as "Dragon Fist", why the hell screw the name in a DBZ movie that not only is very popular, but is in anime canon? *<--- Please, no debates on that here :? *

Anywho, Tanooki, for the BIG question: Is the Japanese version on this disc, like the Goku Jr. special, REALLY in stereo!?

And Eric Vale's voicing Tapion?
14 years later

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:28 am

Castor Troy wrote:Tapion sounds like a terrible version of Trunks. :cry: :cry:
Little Trunks: "I wanna be like him when I grow up!"

Subtle. Real subtle.

-edit- Oh, when is this hitting stores?

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:36 am

Same horrible quality master video I suppose.

You know when I came to this site for the first time I was a dubbie. Now I find myself hateing the dub more and more. Thanks I guess :?
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:08 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:Anywho, Tanooki, for the BIG question: Is the Japanese version on this disc, like the Goku Jr. special, REALLY in stereo!?
According to my old VHS of the actual movie, it's in stereo.

And it appears FUNi still cannot understand the concept of what an old man actually sounds like. Hoi's voice is just, blech. :\ Tapion sounds way too gruff.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:03 am

BrollysKin wrote:You know when I came to this site for the first time I was a dubbie. Now I find myself hateing the dub more and more. Thanks I guess :?
I doubt the site had much to do with it. I went from dubbie to hating the dub before I started coming here. So it would have happened eventually, anyway, I'm sure.

Also, what happened to the GOOD Tapion voice we heard in the preview?

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:25 am

Jesus, that's pretty terrible.

Subsequently, seems like the music's gotten better, and there's silence too! wow!

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:59 am

I suppose I should just throw this clip out there, its what I was originally gonna use for the preview. Its Tapions (dub version) story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jroHaPo2WU

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:30 am

So now the sword was found by a wizard? And Tapion and Minoshia never knew how to play their ocarinas? And their ocarinas no longer sound like ocarinas, but rather light sounding keyboards.

Jesus, they just keep making changes to the story, don't they? :\
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:38 pm

Those whiskers are dead giveaway!

:?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:50 pm

All I can say is, Tapion sounds like he's constipated in that first clip. >>

Buruma: "Just when you think intolerance can't get any worse than it is!"

Ummmmmm, when did Movie 13 turn into a public service announcement on equal rights?
Last edited by Jerseymilk on Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:54 pm

Actually theres a worse quote. Said by Goku...

"We need balls!" He dosent even say Dragonballs he just shouts out in that happy voice of his "We need balls!" :lol:

Oh I forgot to mention that FUNimation dubbed the end crdits scenes. You know when they play those scenes of Trunks killing Frezza and then some parts of the movie? Well for some reason there all dubbed. Never did it before I don't see why now.

BoxerGloves
Beyond Newbie

Post by BoxerGloves » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:09 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
Actually theres a worse quote. Said by Goku...

"We need balls!" He dosent even say Dragonballs he just shouts out in that happy voice of his "We need balls!" :lol:
Oh God, this shit already reminds me of that Freeza's homosexually-charged dub line, where s/he shouts to Goku "Alrighty then, whatever turns you on, big boy!!" Or something like that. And combined with the overall effeminity of his/her dub voice, it sounded even more gay. And as for the movie # 13, well there's plenty of awful voice acting, awful dub scripting, and awful music. Yep, just what to expect from FUNi, when it comes to DBZ.

P.S: The reason why I'm referring to the English dub Freeza as s/he, is because of the fact that there's not even a single bit of masculinity in his/her English voice. And for that, I don't even blame the English voice actress. I blame those morons from FUNimation, who instead of hiring a man to do Freeza's voice, decided to hire a woman.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:21 pm

Tsukento wrote:And it appears FUNi still cannot understand the concept of what an old man actually sounds like. Hoi's voice is just, blech. :\ Tapion sounds way too gruff.
Well put. Tapion sounds more like a '50s detective than some thousand year old hero. I liked his voice better in the trailer.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:52 pm

Oh, my sweet Jesus. :shock:

That's awful. "Hiruda-gann"? :? WTF?

Tapion sounds like Broli when he's mad... Are you sure that is Eric Vale and not Vic Mignogna?

Japanese stereo... Daimao... happy thoughts... happy thoughts...
Last edited by The Tori-bot on Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.