The worst change and the best change

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

tainted saiyan
Beyond Newbie

The worst change and the best change

Post by tainted saiyan » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:05 pm

So, in the course of all three series' what was in your opinion, the best and worst change in the appearence or direction of the manga? Best change, Piccolo's change from loathsome villain to reluctant anti-hero. Worst change, Kuririn's hair, it looked like roadkill had climbed on his head.
Chivalry

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:16 pm

Best: Vegeta's transition from villain to ally to friend.

Worst: (Since you said "all three series," I assume we're counting GT) Trunks' change from being an adventurous, somewhat punky character to being a useless nerd in GT. Oh, and Vegeta's GT mustache.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:42 pm

Worst: Vegeta's GT "Freddie Mercury" 'stache.
Best: Shaving that shit off.

:D

In all seriousness though, the worst change in direction would probably be the (apparent) change from Freeza being the ending. As it's been brought up before, that ending (everyone dead, Goku being the legendary Super Saiyan, no dragonballs) would have been much more powerful than the continuation of the series. Though, I'd probably have to say it's the best change as well. If the series ended with Freeza there would be so much less to the series that it wouldn't have the 'epic' feel it does today (sure, it'd be 250 episodes, but not the 500 we have now).

Of course, I still lament the fact that Gohan never got his own spin off. Student by day, super hero by night. Will Videl find out his secret? Will she go to the dance with him? What will Sharpner do now that even Eraza is showing interest in Gohan? Who's this new girl... a fiancé? Spring of drowned saiyan?

(sigh) What could have been...

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:59 pm

desirecampbell wrote: What will Sharpner do now that even Eraza is showing interest in Gohan? Who's this new girl... a fiancé? Spring of drowned saiyan?
Ranma references FTW. :lol:
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:36 pm

desirecampbell wrote:Worst: Vegeta's GT "Freddie Mercury" 'stache.
Best: Shaving that shit off.

:D

In all seriousness though, the worst change in direction would probably be the (apparent) change from Freeza being the ending. As it's been brought up before, that ending (everyone dead, Goku being the legendary Super Saiyan, no dragonballs) would have been much more powerful than the continuation of the series. Though, I'd probably have to say it's the best change as well. If the series ended with Freeza there would be so much less to the series that it wouldn't have the 'epic' feel it does today (sure, it'd be 250 episodes, but not the 500 we have now).

Of course, I still lament the fact that Gohan never got his own spin off. Student by day, super hero by night. Will Videl find out his secret? Will she go to the dance with him? What will Sharpner do now that even Eraza is showing interest in Gohan? Who's this new girl... a fiancé? Spring of drowned saiyan?

(sigh) What could have been...
Here's your pilot AMV to the spin-off Satan-City. :P
14 years later

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:57 am

Worst: Freeza living past Namek.

Best: Trunks slaughtering Freeza like a rag doll.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:38 am

Best: Dragonball Z extending past the Frieza saga.

Worst: Gohan not getting to keep his "main character" role in the Buu saga.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:40 am

The best change would have to be a CANON fusion of the arch rivals Goku and Vegeta. Vegetto.

The worst change would be how fucking invincible and repetetive character Majin Buu. Along with the continuation past the Frieza saga.
Last edited by BrollysKin on Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:01 am

Worst: DBZ extending past the Freeza Saga

Best: MUTHAFUCKIN VEGETTO!

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:44 am

Hearing people say the story going past namek, like really makes me want to break something.

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:58 am

Worst: Every moment that fanboy maricónes use to support their GokuxVegeta yaoi fics.
Best: SSJ Goku and Gohan. Kickass sweet.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:24 am

Victator Supreme wrote:Hearing people say the story going past namek, like really makes me want to break something.
Why? Don't like Gohan being in the spotlight?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:28 am

I won't count GT. No point.

As for the other two, I liked all of it. I wouldn't change any of it. Everything added to the series a bit. Not counting Garlic Jr...
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:17 am

I don't care too much about character appearances, so I'm going to put down changes that actually changed the story. I lol in advance.. most of these entries won't make too much sense but, then again, neither does this thread.. :P (j/k)

Saiyan Arc
Best: Piccolo joining the team. I also liked how the heroes knew that death was inevitable and that it really felt like a war. It also introduces Vegeta, a very, very important character in the series (in case you didn't know ;p)
Worst: I don't know, multi-colored Vegeta :? The fact that a lot of the events played on luck and it made it more of an underdog story (which is good, but in moderation).

Freeza Arc
Best: Goku being badass against the Ginyu force. Vegeta's way of doing things: the way he did them may have seemed a bit extreme but they were necessary and somebody had to do it). I liked how this arc had a lot of survival elements because this wasn't a "home game". Freeza was pretty awesome too.
Worst: Hard to understand power fluctuations (especially Gohan and Vegeta). Had to add Gohan's haircut.. Even though Freeza is pretty awesome, he played a bit into the generic villian card: Here are my plans, let's prolong the fight and not get series, I'm not wearing pants, etc.

Cell Arc
Best: The tone of the story and how it everyone made mistakes in that arc. I like it wasn't focused on Goku that much but he still had a major impact on it. The whole "past coming back to haunt you" thing plays out really well.
Worst: Freeza's death was so weak; it wasn't fair and for that I will always hate that Trunks (to which I call him a Final Fantasy reject). Thinking about timelines gives me a headache. :?

Buu Arc
Best: Mystic Gohan and how "the mighty have fallen" in terms of power against Buu. I loved the whole Majin Vegeta plot. It's not like he wasn't warning Goku for over 10 years. I liked Buu's character designs; they were simple and it worked.
Worst: Officially killed the super saiyan form for me. This saga made it worthless thanks to the efforts of Trunks and Goten. I'd like it more if Trunks and Goten mastered the form after they thought Vegeta and Gohan died. I didn't like Vegetto. One more time for Rocketman:
Mr.Piccolo just wrote:I didn't like Vegetto
I didn't like him because he was too strong and I hate when the hero is ten classes ahead of their opponent; its makes for a fun battle, not an exciting one. Besides, it made the Super Buu that absorbed Gohan look like a joke and I hated that. He was so very strong and a weaker version (Gotenks one) was more fearsome than that.. :?
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:37 am

Mr.Piccolo wrote:I didn't like Vegetto. One more time for Rocketman:
Mr.Piccolo just wrote:I didn't like Vegetto
I didn't like him because he was too strong and I hate when the hero is ten classes ahead of their opponent; its makes for a fun battle, not an exciting one.
Yet you like Mystic Gohan.
Besides, it made the Super Buu that absorbed Gohan look like a joke and I hated that. He was so very strong and a weaker version (Gotenks one) was more fearsome than that.. :?
-Rick
Thus showing the utter folly of depending on Gohan, Goten, and Trunks instead of Goku and Vegeta. :lol:

future_trunks
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by future_trunks » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:43 am

The best change: Super Saiya-jin
Worst Change: Ultra Super Saiya-jin stages 2 and 3 or however the f*** you say it.
Cuz you're an ocean, you're an ocean, settle down settle down what's the commotion?

shannarafan
Beyond Newbie

Post by shannarafan » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:50 am

mAcChaos wrote:As for the other two, I liked all of it. I wouldn't change any of it. Everything added to the series a bit. Not counting Garlic Jr...
I agree, though I did miss those characters that were written out (Lunch, 16, Mai, etc.)... and I actually like the Garlic Jr. saga. *rifle shot*
Duo wrote:Best: Trunks slaughtering Freeza like a rag doll.
You not like Freeza?

I thought it was a shame for him to be taken out like that... talk about a humiliating defeat.

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:00 pm

The thing about Gohan's "rematch" with Buu was that he wasn't way stronger than Buu. I mean he used more than his feet right. :roll: Besides, once Buu absorbed Gohan, the young saiyan got his comeupins which were a bit deserved because he allowed Buu to fight Gotenks again. Vegetto was so cocky and never got what was coming to him. The strongest heroes have to fall at some point:
-Goku.. planet explodes and he dies, scratch that, sees a Ginyu spacecraft the last minute.. :roll:
-Piccolo (fused with Kami) not going all out against Cell.
-"Super" Vegeta against second form Cell.
-SSj2 Gohan.. easily stronger than Cell.. but wants to make him suffer..
-Mystic Gohan.. doesn't finish the job.. again (wtf)
Rocketman wrote:Thus showing the utter folly of depending on Gohan, Goten, and Trunks instead of Goku and Vegeta. :lol:
Or from this angle, thus showing people afraid of change. Goku can't be the shit 24/7. You know the story is being stretched thin when the guy who died twice comes back to save everyone yet again. Goku needed successors: Gohan, Goten, Trunks (more likely as Gotenks), Oob, and technically Vegeta.
shannarafan wrote:
Duo wrote:Best: Trunks slaughtering Freeza like a rag doll.
You not like Freeza?

I thought it was a shame for him to be taken out like that... talk about a humiliating defeat.
Look at my previous post, shannarafan.
God, your avatar is too good. Seriously.
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:20 pm

Mr.Piccolo wrote:Vegetto was so cocky and never got what was coming to him.
He was destroyed when he let his Barrier down.
Or from this angle, thus showing people afraid of change. Goku can't be the shit 24/7. You know the story is being stretched thin when the guy who died twice comes back to save everyone yet again. Goku needed successors: Gohan, Goten, Trunks (more likely as Gotenks), Oob, and technically Vegeta.
Goku needed successors worth the paper they're printed on. Of that list, only Vegeta comes close enough.

ChaotixXero
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChaotixXero » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:48 pm

Vegeta died twice too. Once on Namek and another against Majin Boo.