Ocean Group on CN prior to 2000?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

erik-the-red

Ocean Group on CN prior to 2000?

Post by erik-the-red » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:56 pm

I first saw Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network in 1999, if I recall correctly. I remember it was back when Greg Werner's site was still hosted on goes.

Anyway, my question is, did I actually listen to the Ocean Group dub instead of the FUNimation dub?

There were lines like "it'll grow back" and "you smell like toenails."

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:03 pm

Yep, Ocean did episodes up until Goku landed on Namek. FUNi only recently redubbed those.

-Corey

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Ocean Group on CN prior to 2000?

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:03 pm

erik-the-red wrote:I first saw Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network in 1999, if I recall correctly. I remember it was back when Greg Werner's site was still hosted on goes.

Anyway, my question is, did I actually listen to the Ocean Group dub instead of the FUNimation dub?

There were lines like "it'll grow back" and "you smell like toenails."
Cartoon Network began airing FUNimation's original two seasons of DBZ (as they began airing in syndication in 1996) beginning in August of 1998 on Toonami. These two seasons repeated for a full year until FUNimation's debut of their in-house season three (which begins with the "Ginyu" saga episodes) in 1999.

Up until the so-called "Ultimate Uncut Edition" episodes debuted in 2005, yes, anything you saw from the first two seasons was without a doubt the original syndication run versions with the Ocean cast, Shuki Levy's music, etc.

It's in need of an update, but our site's "Newbie Guide" covers a good portion of when what was shown and where and how and why and who and stuff and junk and stuff :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:46 pm

VegettoEX wrote: It's in need of an update, but our site's "Newbie Guide" covers a good portion of when what was shown and where and how and why and who and stuff and junk and stuff :).
:shock: *shakes head* I had to read that twice and slower to be able to comprehend the words in the last part of that sentence... :lol:

So it started in 1998? Damn... that takes me back! 8) I don't think I saw Dragonball Z airing until 1999 but it's been so long I can't remember. Sometimes it seems only like yesterday. I live in Ontario, Canada and I remember seeing it for the first time on YTV. Anyone know the original airdate on that channel? Now I'm curious... Still I remember even further back watching the 80's dub of Dragonball. Now that's nostalgia.... :roll: :D

We never got any of the Blue Water dub's with some of the Ocean VA's though. Everything after the Ginyu saga was FUNimation's in-house cast. Iv'e seen clips of the Cell and Buu saga's voiced by the original Ocean cast (or at least some of them) but I don't think they ever aired in Ontario, Canada. Though I remember a clip somewhere where it was on YTV during the Cell saga and it was the Ocean/Blue Water cast. :?

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:43 am

Holy shit... If it was in syndication THAT long ago, then I was 6 years old... When I first saw DBZ. I'm 16 now...

That's insane... :shock:
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:52 am

nathantheguitarist wrote:Holy shit... If it was in syndication THAT long ago, then I was 6 years old... When I first saw DBZ. I'm 16 now...

I can clearly remember watching the first episode of Dragon Ball. I can't even remember my brother's name half the time, but this I remember.

Dark Vegeta-Sama
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dark Vegeta-Sama » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:59 am

Maphisto86 wrote:
VegettoEX wrote: It's in need of an update, but our site's "Newbie Guide" covers a good portion of when what was shown and where and how and why and who and stuff and junk and stuff :).
:shock: *shakes head* I had to read that twice and slower to be able to comprehend the words in the last part of that sentence... :lol:

So it started in 1998? Damn... that takes me back! 8) I don't think I saw Dragonball Z airing until 1999 but it's been so long I can't remember. Sometimes it seems only like yesterday. I live in Ontario, Canada and I remember seeing it for the first time on YTV. Anyone know the original airdate on that channel? Now I'm curious... Still I remember even further back watching the 80's dub of Dragonball. Now that's nostalgia.... :roll: :D

We never got any of the Blue Water dub's with some of the Ocean VA's though. Everything after the Ginyu saga was FUNimation's in-house cast. Iv'e seen clips of the Cell and Buu saga's voiced by the original Ocean cast (or at least some of them) but I don't think they ever aired in Ontario, Canada. Though I remember a clip somewhere where it was on YTV during the Cell saga and it was the Ocean/Blue Water cast. :?
As of the Cell Games onward, Ocean's independent dub aired on YTV. So yes, they did air in Ontario.

I guess if you were watching DBZ on Cartoon Network using a satellite dish, than no, you wouldn't have seen the Ocean dub because CN is an American network and FUNimation's primary outlet for most of their shows.

erik-the-red

Post by erik-the-red » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:25 pm

nathantheguitarist wrote:Holy shit... If it was in syndication THAT long ago, then I was 6 years old... When I first saw DBZ. I'm 16 now...

I have similar feelings.

The series in the United States has come a long, long way since we first saw it.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:37 pm

I was 13 when i first saw it, way back in 1999. I'm 20 now, and man do I feel old typing this. I remember when you could actually find the Bandai figures in Suncoast.