Episode #0073 (15 April 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0073 (15 April 2007)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:15 am

Episode #0073 (download MP3)
41:51; 64 kbps, mono; 19.1 MB

Episode #0073! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian discuss the character of Tapion. For someone who is only around for a single movie, why is he so popular? Is it the theme song, the character design, or something else completely? News of a new, quasi-DB animated feature, April's releases, and voice e-mail round out the episode. Referenced sites: Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the splendid *seventy-three* episodes, now.

Well, the forum post is a few hours later, but the show was up as on-time as it possibly could have been :P. This was another episode I really had a great time with in the discussion, and I hope some other people can have an equally great time on the listening end.

I'm gonna throw a couple images right here in the post (that have been linked above) for easy viewing and discussion:

^ Tapion's character design, from daizenshuu six, with translated text. You can see Toriyama's notes about the character's name along with his suggestions.

^ The back-cover of an EverAnime bootleg of DBZ Hit 5. Note their logo down in the corner there. More importantly, note all the things that are missing when compared to the actual CD below.

^ Just about every legit Japanese CD you're going to find will in some place have the retail price, the release date, the running time, and the catalogue number. Once you've seen the two side-by-side, it should hopefully be pretty obvious what you're looking for.

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:49 am

I just downloaded the episode, but it's description is the same as last week's (about the manga review). I know they're not the same episode, though, since well... I'm listening to it right now and you just said that it's for the week of the 15th.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:09 am

DaemonCorps wrote:I just downloaded the episode, but it's description is the same as last week's (about the manga review). I know they're not the same episode, though, since well... I'm listening to it right now and you just said that it's for the week of the 15th.
My bad... fixed in the feed. Thanks!
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:33 am

Just about every legit Japanese CD you're going to find will in some place have the retail price, the release date, the running time, and the catalogue number.
Hmm, I just looked at the back of my CD's and out of 12 CD's 3 seem to be fake. Thanks Anime Castle!

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:37 pm

That's that NY store, right? Mail ordered bootleg CDs from there once.
Oh well.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:29 pm

After Julian mentioned some kind of different animation in One Piece movie 6, I had to do see what you were talking about via a YouTube search. And... the people who animated that movie are actually pretty well known to me! I describe them as the "really fluid animation style with coloring that's basic yet somehow detailed at the same time." The other anime I'm positive that they've done are Naruto (as far as I know, the episodes when Sasuke fights Orochimaru disguised as the grass ninja in the Forest of Death and when the Third fights the First and Second hokage) and the first season of Digimon (when Tai and Agumon get transported to Earth after supposedly killing Etemon). If you haven't figured it out by know, I really like pointing out different animators for episodes in a series.

As for the topic, I found it pretty interesting. I always found it strange that Tapion and Minoshia had action figures even though they were only in one movie. At the time, I thought it meant that they must have come back in the actual series, but well... they didn't. I think you guys best described it as him just being a pretty cool guy that fans automatically clung on to, similar to Future Trunks. Also, the whole discussion about distinguishing movies by their bad guy was a good point. I know all the DBZ movies by their bad guy, except for the last one, which I describe as the Tapion movie.

Also... it really sucks to find that the only two JP DBZ CDs I've got are bootlegs. I plan to redeem myself by getting at least one of the Hit Song Collections, though, since they're the cheapest even when they're legit.

Y'know, you guys never explained Meri's "duchette" story...

Ooh, another contest. I'd enter, but I already have that movie. (But for future contests, might I suggest giving away either movies 1-6, or 11?).
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:53 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Y'know, you guys never explained Meri's "duchette" story...
Not much to it. Regarding the whole me being a "douchebag" 'cuz I said "Saiya-jin" extravaganza, Meri suggested that she be, by extension, the "douchette".
DaemonCorps wrote:Ooh, another contest. I'd enter, but I already have that movie. (But for future contests, might I suggest giving away either movies 1-6, or 11?).
If you want to buy them, send them to us, and allow us to give them away as prizes... sure :P. I typically ain't buying things on my own to give out... well, sometimes... but not often... A good majority of prizes have been fan-donations. I'm pretty sure this Movie 8 came from Conan...? I forget, now :P.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:07 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I typically ain't buying things on my own to give out... well, sometimes... but not often... A good majority of prizes have been fan-donations.
Eh, I figured as much. Hm... I actually might have a thing or two to give away, if I can find 'em first. :x

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:02 pm

Um....EX you said that "Wrath of the Dragon" was released "like 2 years ago".....it's only been out for around 6 Months. It released late September of last year.

Anyway, greay Podcast guys. I really liked how you discussed the fandom for Tapion. Personally, I do not like Tapion, I thought he was kind of lame. But I know what you mean about how characters who aren't around as long as others seem to get a huge fanbase. It's like Hughes in Fullmetal Alchemist. I personally take a liking to Bardock.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:14 pm

Lavender Saiyan wrote:Um....EX you said that "Wrath of the Dragon" was released "like 2 years ago".....it's only been out for around 6 Months. It released late September of last year.
Don't you know? Six months is actually about two years in internet time! :D

In all honesty, yeah, my bad. I didn't pull up the page to look at the date when I was spouting. However, that makes it even worse... it only came out THAT RECENTLY...? No wonder he's a fanboy legend :P.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:18 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I'm pretty sure this Movie 8 came from Conan...? I forget, now :P.
Yeah, it did, as well as that "uncut" DB volume 9 of Viz's you guys probably added to your collection. :P
14 years later

tarrin4ever

Post by tarrin4ever » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:12 am

Tough decision for Julian, Funimation panel or dancing.

I'd have been curious to see what happens at the panel though, what with a possible response to the Super-Special-Awesome-Edition Boxsets. Not to mention that other piece of info Funi dropped for us this weekend. That one particular piece of info.

Then again, sometimes you just gotta cut loose and shake yo groove thang... ugh, that should get me banned for life.

Looking forward to next podcast. Let us know how the con went, eh?

shannarafan
Beyond Newbie

Post by shannarafan » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:44 am

Cool episode, but I'm not seeing how Tapion is so popular. He happens to be one of my favorites (just liked everything about him), but I've only seen a handful of other fans... he's hardly ever mentioned. Whatta crock.

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:10 am

I need to watch Movie 13 again after hearing this podcast. Also was surprised with the name pun for Tapion, and for some weird reason I had an image of Colin Mochrie saying "Tapi-OOOOO-ca!" in my mind, which made me giggle.

Bulma in Movie 13? That's one of those "Boom! Anime babes that make you think the wrong thing" characters! Especially with Meri's thoughts on him.

Nice discussion on legit versus bootleg CDs there. Good stuff to know for any anime fan.

Relatively short podcast but still sweet.
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:40 am

In terms of the "Where the hell were Mr. Satan and Buu" deal, I just figured that it's not so unbelievable to think they were just off in another city, and were keeping Buu quiet. Plus, you gotta remember that for how disastrous Hildegarn's attacks were, they were pretty localized, only happening within West City.

EDIT: Ooh, I'm'a gonna write me a Broli haiku. I'm good at haiku...
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Black Mist
Beyond Newbie

Post by Black Mist » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:41 pm

Great episode about the whole audio email thing. you said that the emailer was the only one that sends you audio emails but I just checked and I sent you an email two weeks back. maybe you didn't get it I don't know but I was very confused.
Black Mist: B team
I am also a respected podcast audio emailer.Listen to my adventures with my sidekick B in nintedo.theretrocast.com.Or just random stuff at www.onholdpodcast.com

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:36 pm

:D Yay! Haiku!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:46 pm

desirecampbell wrote::D Yay! Haiku!
Except it's supposed go by syllables, rather than words :P.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:59 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
desirecampbell wrote::D Yay! Haiku!
Except it's supposed go by syllables, rather than words :P.
Damn! Does that mean my Broli haiku doesn't count? :cry:

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:11 pm

desirecampbell wrote:Damn! Does that mean my Broli haiku doesn't count? :cry:
  • Sadly, it does not.
    Desirecampbell's haiku
    Gets owned by Kaboom's.
8)
Haikus are my favorite. They're easy to write.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.