How did you get into DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

How did you get into DBZ?

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:24 pm

I first got into it in April 2001. Before that, I HATED DBZ. I couldn't stand it. Hell, I got mad at my mom for getting me a DBZ bookbag. However, on the day I first got Directv, I watched Cartoon Network because I didn't have it on cable. The first thing I watched was Cow & Chicken, which I thought was pretty funny. Then, around 5:30, I got bored and changed it to cartoon network, and DBZ was on (it was the episode where Goku gave up against Cell and gave the fight up to Gohan), so I changed the channel. But then, I noticed that everyone's hair was blonde, so I changed it back to see why. Next thing you know, I actually started getting interested in the story, and I saw the next episode preview and said "okay, I'll just watch that, but I'm not gonna enjoy it". I watched it, and it made me wanna watch the next episode, and pretty soon, I was hooked.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:25 pm

I got into Dragonball Z after watching Dragonball.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:29 pm

In middle school (back in the mid-1990s) some friends told me to watch it.

I eventually took their advice.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:02 pm

It caught my eye on a Toonami run when I was six... It was the first episode too, it was my lucky day. Saw the entire Saiyan-Frieza saga...Then again...And Again...And another time...

Then there was the Garlic Jr saga... Ahh, the good ole' days.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:09 pm

I started watching DBZ back in 2002/2003, the dub introduced me to the magical world of Dragon Ball. I had seen the original Dragon Ball before that, but I never enjoyed it much, maybe it was the horrible dub? Eventually I came to this site and discovered the original Japanese version. After a couple of fansubs I came to actually enjoy Masako Nozawa as Goku.

Since then my interest has faded a bit, mainly due to frustration from shoddy DVD releases, and I have moved onto other hobbies. Still love Dragon Ball, there hasn't been any anime series that has entertained me as much as DB.

Humpski
Regular

Post by Humpski » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:55 pm

I saw Dragon Ball on YTV in the early 90's. They played it all the time and to tell you the truth I really didn't like it but I ended up seeing every episode multiple times just because it was on so much.

Then in the late 90's Dragon Ball Z started running and I was like, "What!? This guy is the same little kid from that other show? And now he's got a kid of his own? Well that's kind of interesting I guess."

So I began to watch it and came to be a huge fan of DBZ, which in turn made me appreciate Dragon Ball. Only problem was they only did up to the Freeza saga. So after like 3 years of watching it over and over without the story continuing I went off to college and missed it when they finally began airing the rest of the episodes.

To this day I still haven't seen From the Android Saga to the end of DBZ. That's why I'm so excited to be getting the series on DVD. I'll finally see the whole thing!
Check out our home made films!
Lots of martial arts action and comedy.
http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=HumpskiProductions

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:31 pm

I started watching it back in middle school (1999/2000ish I would be around 10). I saw the second episode after catching the last bit of the first episode the day before, it was amazing (at this point I had never known about anime) completely different from other cartoons I had seen especially loss of limbs and energy waves. it was one of the first anime's I had ever seen, The first being a studio ghibi movie "Castle in the sky" laputa, I think that’s the name?

It's strange that I only thought about recording it by the time it reached freeza arc (The saiyan saga was awesome), I still have an old cartoon network advert where they actually pronounce saiyan properly (Of course i thought it was wrong at the time) :oops:

I only recently got into Dragonball because it started showing on toonami (God it was horrible :evil: ) but i decided to download 1 or 2 episodes of funimations dragonball of some random site (they were good :D ) so i started buying the funimation dragonball boxsets and imported episodes 1-13 from australia
now its only second favorite anime next to Dragonball Z (GT near the bottomof my list).

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:04 pm

I just happened upon it one day while flipping channels. ( [sarcasm] I know, isn't my back story exciting? [/sarcasm] )
There was nothing good on Nick and the show looked interesting so I decided to watch. :3

Old, Weekday Toonami was the best....
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

balrog
Not-So-Newbie

Post by balrog » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:08 pm

I had watched it my whole childhood. Like a lot people I watched it on Toonami and got hooked. Then I lost interest in it for a long time.. and randomly I found an episode of DBZ on Youtube, and then discovered the whole series was there. So I watched the series from the android arc up and really loved it. Then they all got knocked off and I had no way to watch it for a while, but thankfully the Season box sets came out. Thanks to them I'm more into DBZ now then ever!

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:22 pm

Chuquita wrote:Old, Weekday Toonami was the best....
Wasn't it? It pisses me off so much that Cartoon Network can't get a clue and remove it from that dead Saturday slot. I remember shortly before Maguiz-retardism replaced it, they used to have 2 episodes of DB and 2 episodes of DBZ on every day. That was the absolute best time for Toonami IMO, I loved it since we got to watch so much of the series so quickly. And the promos Weekday Toonami had, makes me hunt those things down on YouTube like no tomorrow. The hyping of the Great Saiyaman and Buu sagas in particular, made me go "Bring on the episodes, 18 year old Gohan, the Fusion, Super Saiyan 3, gahhh!!" :oops:

And Chuquita, getting into DBZ via later Freeza arc, best time of any next to the Android episodes IMO~

Anywho, I got into DBZ through random glimpses of the Kidmark/Ocean dub as far as back as 95, but only really got my interest peeked by the Saiyan saga episode where Gohan's dinosaur friend dies. That was just such a sad episode, I kinda thought it was something like Pokemon at first. I certainly love the color commentary baseball game. Though my exposure to DB goes as far back as the early 90s with the NES game Dragon Power.
14 years later

Bomber Greek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bomber Greek » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:07 pm

I am a very new Dragon Ball fan, and my back-story is completely different than all of yours.

When I was little, I knew about DBZ, but I hated it, even though I never watched it. I was young back then. I never gave it a chance. It makes me remember the time when I got a Super Saiyan Goku toy at Burger King. God knows where that is now. :( This was my current thought of DBZ until New Year's Day... of 2007...

I went to my cousin's house on New Years Day. He is a fan of DBZ and other anime. When I got there, he was playing Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 on his PS2, and he was doing some crazy attacks and I thought it was cool. Then he let me play around with the game and I thought it was awesome. After a while, he told me that the game was also on Wii, which I got a week before on Christmas.

A few days later, I rented the game and eventually bought it. I got to know the story and characters very well, and realized how awesome it was. Unfortunately, when I actually got to watch the show, I hated the music. So, I found some clips with the Japanese music and loved it. Luckily, the season box sets came out soon, so I have them now.

So, to make a long story shirt, you can say that I became a fan from the game.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:21 pm

All that haven't read the manga, must.

.....Of course that's my opinion.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Bomber Greek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bomber Greek » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:25 pm

I have. :D

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:38 pm

Bomber Greek wrote:It makes me remember the time when I got a Super Saiyan Goku toy at Burger King.
Darn you! I only got normal Goku, Kuririn, and Freeza -_-

shannarafan
Beyond Newbie

Post by shannarafan » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:41 pm

Flipping channels back in 98. For once, being bored out of my gourd paid off. :mrgreen:

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:10 pm

Kendamu wrote:In middle school (back in the mid-1990s) some friends told me to watch it.

Hah, my exact same story. I started watching it in 1999, back when the Ginyu saga was new.

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:11 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:
Kendamu wrote:In middle school (back in the mid-1990s) some friends told me to watch it.

Hah, my exact same story. I started watching it in 1999, back when the Ginyu saga was new.
I started watching at the exact same time, oh dub Season 3.....

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:23 pm

I am NOT sure, for when I really got into it.

I remember when I was 7 (I think), I was enjoying my aunt's digital cable - which was a foreign concept to me. 5:00, turn on CN, and BAM! Boss Rabbit's Magic Touch. I feel nostalgic towards that episode because it was my first fully watched one. I watched it on occasion, got to a cliffhanger episode (General Blue's fortress getting destroyed) and BAM! Restart. So, I think I may have taken a break then.

Now DBZ, I can say this: boredom on a summer day. I watched the final explosion with Majin Buu, and I said "hey, that's pretty cool," even though I had no idea what was going on. Went to watch the next day, and I find myself - aGAIN - bombarded by a restart. Then school came around and everyone was talking about it so I started watching.

I may have spiced it up a bit, but that's because my memory on this subject isn't all that good.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:29 pm

I got into DBZ when it was on the old UPN, and saw it every morning before school until I started watching it on toonami. One of my elementary school friends told me to watch it, and the first episode I saw was the beginning of Z fighters vs. Nappa and Vegeta. That was in 1996 or 1997, and I was desperately waiting for them to get past the first "53" episodes.

Then I got impatient, because Funimation was taking forever to release the rest of the episodes, and I was an ADD kid, so I got a hold of some of the old school Animelabs fansubs in 2001. Then you could just imagine how a 12 year old would react to those. :lol:
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:33 pm

I watched the original run of Dragon Ball on YTV and then say the first run of DBZ years later. I'm thankful every day that I got to see Goku as a kid before I found out he's an alien - it made the whole thing that much better the first time 'round.